Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Special car
By buckeyebrit

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This was my 1st Jaguar purchase in the States after having 2 UK models back in Blighty before emigrating to the US. I was dubious about buying a US specification car after enjoying a X- type & a S-type over the pond. My concerns were soon put to bed after I took the car for a test drive. I loved it, despite the steering wheel being on the wrong side. When you sit behind the wheel of a Jag, you know you're sat in a car that all the "others" aspire to match! My wife had been "Japanese cars only" until she drove the Jag. Now she won't even look at anything else. It handles like a sports car, the AWD is awesome, the quality and driving experience are unmatched from anything else out there!

The seats are soooo comfy... the AWD inspires confidence in bad weather and the handling is incredible!

Rear seat leg room is poor. With a baby seat you have to move the front seats a long way forward to accommodate the seat. This is NOT a good family car. Go for the larger XJ8 if you have a family, the X-Type is far too small!

Electrical problems like any other Ford.
By tgapoz

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle however maintenance is costly. Expect several hundred dollars for the simplest of repairs. My particular annoyance deals with electrical. Why would someone tie in the moon roof, interior lights and blower into one module. $300 to trace the problem and $500 to replace module. I refuse to replace and let this issue remind me to never buy a Ford product again. The work around was to unplug the module but that means no interior lights or moon roof. Oddly enough the blower worked. $1300 for brakes, $700 for an oil pan leak.

Great color, handling, stereo, curb appeal... a real head turner.

More horsepower and cheaper repair bills. There is no justification for 82 dollars for a set of 2 brake pads. Engineer the parts to fit better so they do not come loose from the interior when hitting bumps.

Transmission problems for the past 2yrs.
By Gilfigga

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 X-Type just went out of warranty in March, 2008. This morning I took the car to the shop because the transmission began to slip. For the past 2 years, I've been seeing a gear fault light but the service center could not duplicate the message. Now the transmission is gone and it will cost me close to $9K to get it fixed. The car is not even worth that much anymore! Where is the reliability for buying such an expensive car?

Extend the drive train warranty to at least 100,000 if you believe in your engineering. Compete with the other automakers offering this attractive warranty. My recommendation, don't buy a Jaguar unless they offer you at least a 7yr or 100,000 mile warranty.

2002 2.5 x-type
By jim b

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle from a Jaguar dealer as a certified car. The car was fun to drive and is a great looking car. Reliability stinks. I was in and out of the dealer ever other month with little problems. Until the big one happen. 2 1/2 years later after I purchased my car I brought it in because of rust that I found along the rocker panel on both sides of the car. 1 month later the dealer came back to me saying that the car was not repairable. Jaguar purchased back the car from me. The dealer told me that this was a design problem and it was fixed in later year models. 2004 or newer. I purchased a 2005 3.0 x-type bacause of the after market accessories that I had on my 02.

AWD, looks of the cars interior and exterior. Fun to drive.

Don't purchase a 2002 or 2003 xtype. These are the year's know with this design problem where water would not drain from the car properly. My 05 x- type seems to have a much better build quality. Only time will tell!

X-Type is "All that AND more"
By TommyE

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Haven't had mine too long but love it completely. It replaces a 18 year old Acura. Gets better mileage (avg. 21 city) is absolutely stunning to look at and turns heads everywhere I go. This isn't just an automobile, its rolling artwork. When I showed it to my friends the most heard thing they say is, "Oh my god, its so beautiful!" This thing feeds my ego quite nicely. I can't image any other car making me happier. I am very very satisfed.

Bluetooth Handeling Mileage Power Comfort Style, Style, Style

How can I knock it? I certainly could not have done better if I had designed it myself. There will be no broman wheels on my ride! A class act just as it is.