Used 2004 INFINITI FX35 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used FX35 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Good Value and Cost of Ownership

Paul Harney, 06/27/2009
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 FX-35 has severed me well over the 83,000 miles I have put on it over nearly five years. It has survived two idiots hitting it from behind, requiring only cosmetic repairs. Even now, after years of wear and tear, it holds the road very well for its shape [SUV] and higher center of gravity. The engine and power train still deliver its 280+ hp when called upon. Highway travel is pleasant and the twisting back roads of the area I live in still fun in this hybrid vehicle with its SUV styling and sports car innards. Highway/city gas mileage has remained constant at around 17.5 MPG. I have maintained a vigilant service schedule, all maintenance at or very nearly close to schedule.

Redefines the meaning of an SUV

Kevin, 01/01/2016
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great sporty versatile vehicle, I owned a bmw z3 convertible roadster and in comparison to that this handles great, Bose sound system sounds like a club in the car, nice power from the motor roomy interior, car has 220k miles and car still runs like new.... Issues with it is the dash bubbles, front leather seats break down literally, mpg is 18 mostly highway but overall I love it, his a rich look and feel performs awesome and it's by far one of the nicest sporty SUVs out there that is affordable and worth the money. Shares the same engine as the Nissan 350z and well as a similiar build frame, issues with exhaust system from a bad rattle but I installed a new y pipe and fixed the problem... Engine like I said has 220k and still starts up and purrs like a kitten

Factory Design Flaws

BernieT, 03/12/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Beware if you are a bigger person, say over 250 pounds. The front seats have power controls on top side of seat. Hard plastic trim stabs into the side of your leg like a knife. Also, there is a design flaw in the gas tank intake. Most gas pumps that pump gas quickly will kick off before the tank is completely full. Something about how the fumes build up. I have the XM Satellite radio. It occasionally loses its signal - sometimes for 30 - 40 minutes. Completely turning the ignition off, then on, "regrabs" the signal. Ride with 20" wheels is brutal.

Best car I've ever owned

Jim, 01/24/2010
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned by FX35 for 5 years now and have zero problems. I do maintain it and Infinity service ain't cheap, but its still quick, tight and the biggest problem is a small split in the drivers seat from my fat rear. My OEM tires lasted 78K miles, the snow feature got me through the recent DC blizzard, it handles like it'll little brother (Nissan 350Z). The stereo still rocks with a powerful subwoofer, no squeaks, paint still shines like new... I will keep this car forever.

Reliable

billyp14, 03/06/2013
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car since 04' and it's still going. Had a few things done by the dealership due to faulty dash board and engine rockers. Only issue I seem to be having now is door actuators not working. These are little things that are bound to happen over years of having a car. It's been a good car to me and one of the best cars I've owned out of the 5 I've had. Ride is rough and can be a bit irritating especially after a long day. Changed the OEM tires to Yokohama Paradas and the ride is a lot smoother. All in all I'm happy I bought it.

Phenomenal Car- If you can afford it- GET IT!

happydriver35, 09/12/2012
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely LOVE this car! Even though Inifniti makes great cars- Seems like they spent a lot more time on the FX. I own a 2004 Black FX35 with a beige interior.i was looking for a gray fx but glad i found this black one- looks so much more luxurious and sporty.18" Rims- still look large but better mpg than on 20" that the fx45 comes with. The rear has the dual exhaust pipes, little bit of chrome, stock spoiler over window, the led lights. the fog lights, the huge doors that make you feel like your driving a tank or something very safe and secure. wheels are wide and large and 18" rims look even larger because of how low and wide the car sits and looks. Love how sporty yet elegant and luxuri

Second Time Around

Thomas, 01/14/2010
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I leased a 2WD FX35 in 2004 and then traded it 18 months later for a much larger SUV due to a particular family circumstance at the time. I have missed the FX ever since. Circumstances have changed again and I was delighted to find a used 04 FX35 AWD with both the technology and touring packages. Showing 65,000 miles on the odometer, the FX is very bit as tight and responsive as the new '04 I leased several years ago. Handling, braking, accelerating, and that signature exhaust sound have taken me back to the vehicle that I have missed the most out of every other vehicle I have owned or leased - and there have been a lot of them. This is a drivers car that keeps you in touch with the road.

best sport suv out there!

jason watai, 03/08/2006
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is really stunning to look at. It handles great on smooth roads. It'll pass just about anything out there with confidence and this is with just the v6. The Bose system is one of the best factory systems I've ever heard. If you like sports cars but need the extra carrying space this is the car, its a lot better looking then any porsche cayenne.

Luv My FX35

Judy Judy Judy, 03/11/2004
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was a bit concerned initially about purchasing an SUV. I was going from a Mustang convertible to a truck. Okay, so this isn't exactly a truck . . . it really is a sports car. A sports car on steroids. Completely responsive, fast and incredibly comfortable. Just came back from two, back-to-back trips of over 350 miles each. Wouldn't have done that in my Mustang. My butt would still be numb! The FX35 is truly a wonderful driving experience!

The Perfect Automobile

steven Van Leer, 10/14/2006
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Infiniti FX-35 isd the perfect compromise of styling, comfort, handling,performance, quick acceleration, all weather capabilty, room for 5-----Incredibly well designed, for my taste---- I had a POrsche Cayanne--this is much more enjoyable, more comfortable,just a pleasure to won.

Will never buy another Infiniti

lee, 11/18/2006
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 04 FX35 new and my front seat bubbled up. Had the seat cover replaced and the bubble happened again. Dealer refuse to fix it and Infiniti denied my request to have it fix. This car looks great but quality is terrible. My first Nissan/Infiniti product and will be my last.

Terrible ride

Leon Turetsky, 03/11/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Never had such a terible, bone-rattling drive in my life. My wife refuses to get in the car.

Love the gadgets!

Clenz, 03/13/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love the technology and gadgets in the car - the most for the money. Very fun to drive. For this much $$, I don't understand why the suspension is so rough?? Highway driving is like you're in a Mack truck. You feel every crack in the road and bounce around like a bobble-head.

Great SUV for the money!

delmartian, 03/19/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Upgraded the tires to BFGoodrich KDWNT GForce 285/60/18 bigger tire looks great improves ride & handling PLEASE DO GET THE WHEELS PROPERLY ALIGNED ON THIS CAR DO NOT TRUST THE DEALER TO DO A GOOD JOB WITH AN ALIGNMENT! Went to top wheel alignment specialist showed me the dealer only aligned the front and not the back wheels. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE RIDE AND HANDLING!

Ride too harsh

DonO, 04/08/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Don't buy this car with the sports package you will feel every single bump EVEN the white lane stripes when you cross over them! The ride is way too harsh and not at all "sporting" and after a short time it gets old. The interior of the car is nice with good seats and this does somewhat offset the exterior design which some call a frog with wheels. Now I know why there are RX330's all over the place.

Expensive to Maintain

Maness7, 07/10/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 15,000 miles tires gone and brakes needed replacing. Dealership charges $350 for 15,000 check-up, over $1000 for four new tires, and I don't have a number yet for brakes. But at 15,000 miles (and less than one year) I will have spent over $3000 on upkeep. While FX35 is fun to drive and jazzy looking, I'm retired and drive very conservatively. This car is unaffordable for me and I would not buy another one.

2004 Infiniti FX35 - Great Vehicle

MaryJ, 12/19/2004
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had two previous Lexus SUV's, and wanted something different, so I bought an Infiniti FX35. I really liked the feel of the FX35 when I drove it! I have enjoyed it, and especially love the navigation system (haven't gotten lost since I got it) and the sports package with the great sound system. I get lots of compliments on this fun car, and love driving it.

Disappointed

smrt50, 11/27/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 3 Lexus and 2 BMW and now,I owned a FX-35 for the past 9 months. I have the tires re-balance twice trying to get a smoother ride. I enjoyed riding the car on the highway,but the ride is not to Lexus or BMW standards. Also the workmanship of the interior is not the same quality of a Lexus the carpet and leather is chea. Last week I sold the FX-35 and brought a Lexus RX-330,and I very happy with my purchase,and comfortable overall ride

Great car, BUT!!

mike005, 05/05/2013
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It's nice, fast, and fully loaded. BUT, buyer beware---These cars have a notorious "rattle" when starting the car, and it CAN'T be fixed; I know because I've spent thousands trying. This rattle is a problem with all Infiniti & Nissan vehicles that use this same motor. It makes your ride sound like total garbage. AND, the seats fall apart. They used a very poor quality piece along the edges of the seats that literally fall apart, and will cost you about $300 to fix, per seat. AND, the trim on the outside looks horrible after a few years; about $500 per door to fix ($2k total). AND the brakes have issues that can't be fixed.

Fun, Fast, Massive disappointment - DON'T BUY INFINITI

h_la, 10/29/2013
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have loved my FX. It's sporty and super capable. My problem is with their build quality and customer service. Infiniti used sub par material on their dashes and they bubble in the heat. It looks terrible, like a rash on the whole dashboard. Infiniti replaced it once 3 years ago. It was a recall but my service rep said he was doing it as a favor (and suggested his favorite brand of whiskey, which I unwittingly bought him as thanks). When this same problem occurred again 3 years later Infiniti says that it's no longer under warranty even though the warranty on the dash was changed to 8 years (and this one is only 3 years old). I can't stand to look at it now. DO NOT BUY INFINITI.

Infiniti FX35 Disappoints

Joe, 07/29/2009
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nearing 5 year anniversary and 99,000 miles... time to call it quits. High cost to maintain. Great power, and handling but a rough ride. Good snow handling after replacing factory tires at 17k. Poor turning radius. Exhaust noise is tiring on the ears. Poor instrument layout AND function, lots of cheap plastic and rattles, frustrating air controls. Entire dash panel "Blistered" badly due to defective mfg or materials... no dealer or manufacturer support for this issue. Even with close maintenance, car is falling apart mechanically. Wheel bearings failed right off the lot, complete exhaust system rotted, and front end and steering shot. Will not buy Infiniti again. Price outruns reliability.

Love The Look

Patrick In Denver, 02/20/2009
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Handles well in the snow has a lot of get up and go. Plus it looks cool. I bought the car in Dec. and it had 50,000 miles on it. Only issue I have had is that it look like I need the breaks replaced which is something that sounds common on these cars. It is fun to drive and I am looking forward to taking it up to the mountains in the summer. There is plenty of power and the handling feels more like a sports car then an SUV. I have been getting about 16.5-17 MPG. Overall I love the car.

Still Happy

Still Happy, 04/19/2009
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After five years (bought it new) I still love this car. I haven't had any mechanical problems at all (knock on wood). It performs like it did when I first brought it home. I don't know of any car owners, with the exception of Lexus, who can say the same about the same car performance and reliability. If and when this car dies, then I will consider buying another one.

Incredible Vehicle

Joseph, 11/05/2009
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With just short of 50,000 miles on the odometer, the FX has been nothing but a thrill to own and drive. The power from the V-6 is enough to snap your neck, the interior is gorgeous in every way and the design of the exterior is still a category leader. Great engine, strong transmission and the AWD is amazing. The Bose system is great and the interior layout has been well thought out. Paint and fit are top quality.

Fun to Drive

Andrea White, 03/18/2005
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I hate to drive, but I love to drive this car! Fun and reliable and it doesn't hurt that the styling is unique and does not look like all the others in its class. The liquid copper color just beams in the sunlight!

1year later

Franz G, 04/29/2005
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am still impressed with the quality and performance of this vehicle. While citi mileage could be better, on highways I am getting 23-24 mpg driving 65 to 70 mph. It is overall an extremely well balanced car and should retain high re-sell value. A few improvements could make this great car into the perfect car.

I Like it Too Much

jilsie, 11/22/2003
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at the Lexus and Acura MDX, I happened on the Infinity FX35. I really didn't like the looks of it at first and didn't want to drive it but tried it anyway. I fell in love with it and bought one the next day. I have had it for 6 months and it is truly a dream car. We took it to the Rocky Mountains and it was amazing. This car is a winner! Only problem is it has a few blind spots due to the radically sloping back end. Trunk space is also limited. Other than than it is a 5 star!

Too much noise

Jeff, 01/05/2006
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The FX is a fun car to drive because it handles beautifully. However, I quickly grew disappointed with the vehicle because the leather squeaks and the vehicle is not very "tight." I found little rattles here and there, which grew very annoying over time. Unless this doesn't bother you, stay away from an FX.

A SPORTS CAR WITH A VIEW

Phil cgimotorsports, 02/01/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you want sports car performance and still have the ability to see around all the suv's and vans out there, the FX should be your choice. Don't waste money on the FX45 which was my original intent, the 35 w/touring and techno pkg is the way to go. Less unsprung weight w/18 vs 20" wheels, 94 fewer lbs with only 35 fewer ponies is the way to go. There is also a comfort advantage. I love this animal.

LOVE THIS CAR

WRM, 03/09/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

GREAT CAR, GREAT LOOKS, GREAT RIDE. I PREVIOUSLY HAD A LEXUS (QUIETER), ACURA MDX (ROOMIER AND MORE USER FRIENDLY NAVI)BUT THIS OVERALL IS THE BEST. THE TECH PACKAGE IS AMAZING...LASER CRUISE, CAMERA IN NAVI FOR BACKING UP, STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC, ADJUSTABLE HEADLIGHTS AND MORE. SAT RADIO IS A MUST...THE ONLY OPTION NOT NEEDED IS SPORTS PACKAGE..THE 18" WHEELS ARE QUIETER AND SOFTER THAN THE 20" HAVE FUN !!

just okay

lisa rampsy, 03/11/2004
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

should not listed as a luxury. Not smooth as it should be, bumpy. I should have kept my lexus RX 300.

36 month mistake!

Stuck with it!, 04/08/2004
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car's ride is way to harsh and Infinity has sold me their one and only vehicle. I leased it so I am stuck with this army tank for three years. Gas is poor at only 16 average not the 17-23 on the sticker and the XM radio goes out for long periods for no reason. My other car does not have this XM problem. I guess if you don't care about getting pounded all this time it is an OK car, but why drive a tank over a washboard for daily transportation?

Very nice but needs improvements

Infinti FX35 black, 05/21/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love this car after 13,000 miles but had to buy new tires to improve the ride recommend bfg's or toyo's and the 18" rims over 20". The 20" look hot but ride way to stiff. The pluses; great handling, power, and looks. The negatives; XM stereo goes out too often, no rear washer with wiper, no rear hatch window, seat bottoms need better padding, side mirrors create blind spots, 17 mpg with premium, bose stereo does not playe mp3,cdr,cdrw discs, no jack input for ipod on stereo, headrests need improvement, quality of stock tires, blind spots.

New 2004 FX 35 AWD

Lip, 08/21/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Acceleration is adequate; AWD tends to "hold it back." Gas mileage after 1000 plus miles is averaging 14 MPG, which is disappointing. Hopefully, it will improve. Two-tone willow and black (leather seats)interior is simple, modern, and attractive, especially with titanium accents. Seats are comfortable, and storage is excellent. Unfortunately, there is too much vibrating (almost rattling)inside the car from the console and storage compartments especially. The 20 inch wheels give the FX an awesome look. Doors should have reflectors and carpeting on the lower part to prevent scuffing. Overall, I am satisfied, but time will tell.

04 fx 35

msandler, 05/27/2006
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is the best I ever owned. Power is excellent. Handling is as good as a sports car. I changed the tires at 20,000 miles and replaced with Bridgestone Alanzas 20". These are much superior in traction in snow and rain. They for sure will get more miles on them then the original. Goodyears were worn out at 19,000 miles.

Still fun

Alesha, 03/05/2007
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven this car for almost 3 years and I still love getting into it! Handles confidently on any road and sounds mean.

Aged like fine wine

Tom, 10/11/2018
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I took a chance and bought a 14 year old car with just 74,000 miles. So far it seems like a wise choice. You stand a good chance of getting a really nice car for a good price if you pick an older Japanese luxury model. They seem to hold up much better than the American and German premium brands. My FX35 looks contemporary even if tech features are archaic. It has the typical FX35 door lock issues but there are cheap fixes for that nowadays. Other than that all accessories work as they should. The performance may have been outstanding in 2004, but is middle of the road in 2018. Power from the 280HP V6 is adequate and the FX has a substantial feel to it you won’t find in a brand new Chevy Equinox. Getting 17 MPG on 89 octane in the city. Driving in wet weather conditions with awd is surefooted and it’s unaffected by crosswinds, we’ll see how it does in snow soon enough.

Unhappy Owner

Unhappy Owner, 03/09/2007
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have the rear wheel drive sports pkg and cannot wait to get rid of it! It jerks all over the place, knobs/switches not in good locations, stiff suspension, tight steering, poor traction in snow, etc, etc, etc. We will never own another Infiniti/Nissan again. We will stick with Lexus/Toyota in the future.

cool car

lam huynh, 02/09/2004

excellent body design !

Awesome!!!

myfx, 10/04/2008
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my FX! I've had it on a lease for 4 yrs. The car handles great! LOVE the chrome wheels as well as the red color (which they stop making in 2004). Its an eyecatcher! The only problems are the squeaker brakes and a noise when I turn the car to left. Gas mileage isn't the greatest either. The seats also tend to split from the heat. Other than that the car was awesome to own and fun to drive! Unfortunately my lease is up and I opted to buy another SUV instead of leasing a 2009 FX. But I have SUPER great memories and I will hate to see this car go!!!! The only other thing I notice is the mirror paint or color tends to fad with time.

High maintenance costs

jghayes, 12/30/2008
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is fun to drive but the build quality is poor. In the last year I have replaced both front bearings (luckily covered under warranty) and just got a $1000 bill to fix my front seat. I have owned 16 cars in my life and the front seat has never broken on any of them. The seat heaters failed (I am not repairing) and they said the seat track is broken and the part alone is $700. The car is cool, watch out for maintenance costs.

One Sweet Car

Feig, 12/05/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We looked at every car in this class and were leaning towards the Lexus. After driving both the Lexus and the Infinity several times it became clear that the FX is far and away the superior car in it's class. Now that we've purchased our FX we love every minute in it. The special features packed into this car are to numerous to list, but it's been a true joy getting to know and understand each one of them.

Best SUV

marks, 12/21/2004
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Terrific vehicle. I researched every one and this was best under $60k. More sports car than SUV. Looks are subjective, you either love or hate it. Exhaust sound is unrivaled in the industry. This SUV is fast and handles great. Would easily buy again and upgrade to V8 if I had the $$$. Only complaint is Navigation system which is inferior to Acura and Lexus.

Best SUV

marks, 12/21/2004

Unbelivable vehicle

Alejew, 10/27/2003
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One word - UNBELIVABLE ! Everything I always wanted from a sports car, but packed in a (practical, taller) CUV. I am getting 21.5 miles/gal. (OK I am driving slower during break-in period, but it is still super for this type of vehicle !) 2004 models have revised suspension, new air filtration system, eight-way power front passenger seat, chrome plated 20" wheels, Aluminum roof bars, & (very important) snow mode for added traction in slippery conditions (& probably more fixes & improvements that I didn't discover yet !)

Road Cruiser

Short Cake, 10/28/2003
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall body styling is different & unique.It has excellent passing power at any speed. The massive,wide tires hold the road and hugs the corners like a German sports car. It is easy to access in and out of all four doors with plenty of leg room for the rear passengers.Extremely quiet interior with minimal road noise.There are a few bad blind spots and if you are short in stature, visibility over the dash and hood are impared.

Kurt F's Review

KurtF, 10/22/2003
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an absolutely fantastic car to drive. It is one of most fun cars I've ever driven. It acts like a sport car even though it's an all whell drive SUV. Handling is tremedous as it feels like a sports car. The only drawback is the rougher ride on city streets. I have the 20" wheels and they say the 18" wheels rides a little smoother but doesn't look or handle as good. I get tons of looks in this car. It definatly is a futuristic looking car and acts like one too. So far it's a great vehicle and really fun to drive.

THIS IS IT

hcanary, 10/31/2003
Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the "SUV" that I've been waiting on. I've always wanted an SUV but couldn't stand the boxiness of the rest and the "petiteness" of others. But this baby roars. The styling is 2nd to none (the looks I get everywhere). It has a true muscular stance and performs the way it looks. I looked at Merc. and BMW and they were good, but this is it. Simply outperforms any other crossover because nothing drives like it. If you're looking for fun get an RX330. But if it's exitement you want, look no further. Infiniti has truly found it's niche.

Tried the rest and liked this best

jrh332, 11/04/2003
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tried the Touareg, Pacifica, ML 350, Envoy, SRX, MDX and XC 90. Each had a nitch but the FX35 won for a SUV that begs to be driven. If you need a third seat look else where. Firm controlled ride, nice dash layout and all the little extras make this a true jewel among the crossover SUVs. Mine has the Technology, premium and sport packages. You can't hide in this vechical as people are always giving it the once over. May not have the hauling or towing ability of some but what a blast to drive!!!

Wow! Total surprise

Omesmd, 11/10/2003
AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was a total surprise. I leased it thinking that it was just another suv built by Nissan's Infiniti. I was wrong. This car, cause that's what is, a car, is wonderful. It's a jacked up sport wagon that seat 5 quite comfortable, an amazing interior, and handles like my old bmw z3. Around town it's so nimble you wouldn't think you're driving an suv. On the highway, it flies.

51050