Used 2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Reliable Fun Economical
By joshua hayes

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We just traded our 2013 Veloster Turbo Auto in with almost 88,000 miles. It was so good to us I thought it deserved a review. We were meticulous about maintenance but it never gave us any issues outside or routine care.
Fun to drive. Great on gas mileage and no issues. If you can live with the space issues it has then you’ll enjoy this vehicle. We only traded it to get a bigger vehicle people can actually fit in the back of. Otherwise great car!

Nice little automobile
By Bob Lynn

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car new and paid MSRP although the dealer gave me a good trade value. I was “shamed” into buying the $1500 extended warranty based on how much they gave me for my trade. During the past four years, I have taken it back to the dealer for service and when I question them on whether a recommended service is covered by the purchased warranty, they indicate they don’t show me covered. Then the sales dept looks it up and tells me that I am covered and when I need it, it will be there. Not very reassuring. Since then, my touchscreen has quit working. Other than that, the vehicle has been a very good purchase and I am very pleased with it.

Danger Will Robinson! Stay Away From Hyundai!
By #SoDisappointed

When you buy this car used, the manufacturer's warranty is severely reduced. Within three of months of the warrantly expiring, at 65,000 miles, the car starts falling apart. First tubo booster fail: $3000 -- Hyundai paid part (which would have been fully covered under warranty). I paid $1800. Four weeks later, turbo charger fails again while on vacation. $550 towing charge to get it to the dealer. $35 per day for a rental car. $180 so far for diagnostic work. I have been notified the turbo charger replacement will be covered by parts warranty but as they discover whatever caused the turbo charger to fail will all be on me. Planning to send car to the Junk Yard and will have to have two car payments for the next year until I pay off the Nasty Veloster. Don't make the mistake I did, stay away!

WALK AWAY FROM THE HYUNDAI!!
By TexasDriver

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I was excited that I would love this car but if I could give anyone any advice in this world, it would be to WALK AWAY FROM HYUNDAI. The moment I saw it on a lot, it was love at first sight. But let me assure you, this is a one-sided relationship with a very unreliable partner. I bought mine brand new and within the first month of ownership began to have major problems, experiencing a complete power shut down leaving me stranded on the interstate in the middle of nowhere on a road trip. After several hours of waiting for a tow to the nearest dealership, I was informed they had no resolve, as they drove it right off the toe truck. I still live in fear that this could happen again unexpectedly at any time. How scary would this be if it happened again in the middle of a major intersection? In addition to this, I don't have enough fingers and thumbs to count the amount of times I have taken it in to have my buzzing speakers repair. Essentially, the dealerships have told me that they "use a very poor grade adhesive to glue the cones on", thus, resulting in the repeated malfunctions. Yet, each repair session, they continue to use the same adhesive. And they cannot provide me a better material. Stay mindful that it includes low profile tires - I live in Dallas, TX which is riddled with countless potholes. Lesson learned, this is my fault for not considering this factor. Each wheel scraped along entire circumference after the first few months of ownership...Just a heads up. Perhaps, the most frustrating are the many concerning sounds coming from underneath the car. The sound started as a light metallic rattle, squad and chirps. Then evolved into what I know of an old rusty truck climbing up a rocky hill. Of course, a little 3 door hatch should NOT sound like this. On a recent trip to Eastern Tennessee, the elevation caused this sound to turn into a deep 'Whoofing' sound. I have to admit, not only did my passengers and I notice it, but I attracted some strange looks from several pedestrians during that trip. I immediately took it to a series of dealerships to investigate and correct, however after each appointment, each service manager assured me they couldn't hear anything unusual. And all but one dealership treated me with such disrespect, the service from the brand alone has convinced me to create detractors at any opportunity I have from now on. However, they returned my Veloster back to me, only to continue to hear the same combinations of sounds. I am almost at 60k miles, which will apparently use up all I have left for my initial warranty. I assure you, I plan to trade this in before this year ends. In conclusion, I chose this car because it was cute, had a good listing of MPGs, and was comfortable to sit in the drivers seat and had that phenomenal 100k drive train warranty. But since leaving the sales lot, I have increasingly learned to LOATHE this vehicle. And the warranty is a joke. They cannot resolve any problems I've experienced and will NEVER consider Hyundai again. I feel sorry for whoever decides to give me money for it when I trade it in. This is as honest a review can get guys. Take it from me, go buy a Honda or Toyota. Warranty or no warranty, a Hyundai is STILL that crappy Hyundai we used to know. Save yourself the crappy trade in value and the HEADACHE.

The sporty looking car
By Eric Stitt

2013 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

This car can catch the eye of young drivers. Looks like a small sports cars and drives well when hugging the turns. Not great in accelerating but this was expected. Great on Gas!!!!! A big plus and travels well on the highway. A good vehicle if you are concerned about your budget.