2017 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Tucson Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

Best Car Purchase Ever
By Dawn

2017 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I absolutely LOVE my Hyundai Tucson, so much that I have bought 2 in the past year. After have my first purchase got totaled in an accident, I bought the same exact Tucson for my replacement. Love the style, color, handling, safety, ....LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR! Best vehicle purchase ever!

I want to love my new Tucson, but...
By Dave Jensen

2017 Hyundai Tucson Value 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I bought my first Hyundai in 2002. It was the first generation Santa Fe and I loved it. As the first of five Hyundai’s since then, it made me a believer in the Hyundai brand. I have owned all three models of the Santa Fe Sport and two of the three models of Tucson. In October of 2017 I leased a 2017 Tucson value package edition. It seemed to be the perfect combination of features, having everything I needed and nothing I didn’t. I gave up leather (nice but not necessary) and navigation (it’s free on my phone) in exchange for a panoramic roof and a power lift gate. It also has cross-traffic detection, blind-spot detection, and dual climate control. (More about that later.)
The ride quality of the Tucson is firm but compliant. It handles all but the most serious of bumps with finesse, and the steering is quick and responsive. As for road noise, it could be quieter.
Doors seal tightly with a nice, firm shunk. Upholstery is high-quality fabric with even stitching and stain-resistant properties, but that’s where it ends. The very basic dashboard design is plain and uninspired. There are no wood grain or carbon fiber accents here, no fabric on the doors, and far too many hard surfaces overall. If you’re looking for luxurious appointments, look elsewhere.
Despite its deficiencies in the luxury arena, the new Tucson outshines its overly-ubiquitous competitors with a handsome exterior. The Tucson’s panoramic roof provides a brightly lit cabin, although I would be content with a standard panel sunroof over the front seat, especially since the panoramic roof is going to rain down a large quantity of glass fragments on all occupants in the event of a crash. It also makes interesting pinging noises, especially in cold weather.
The fresh air return is an enigma. A sensor in the climate control system decides when air in the cabin becomes “stale” and automatically brings in outside air. You may be driving through a forest fire, but once it’s in fresh air mode, the system will not return to recirculate mode on its own.
The frustrating part is that you can’t always manually return to recirculate mode until the system says it’s okay. This may involve rolling down a window and letting even more bad air into the car. It’s bad enough to have to press recirculate every few minutes, but it’s a real pain when the car won’t let you. Is there a fix for this thing?
All my previous Hyundai’s remained in accessory mode after shutting off the engine, allowing the driver to listen to music or complete a phone call without the engine running. But when you shut off the Tucson’s engine, everything shuts off, forcing the driver to idle the car in order to finish a Bluetooth call or hear the end of a song. Why? To the best of my knowledge, no other Hyundai models do this.
And now for the biggie: The Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). What can I say? This is essentially a manual transmission due to its lack of a torque converter, but instead of being manually shifted by the driver, gearing is decided by the computer. This works fine in most situations, but depending on conditions and terrain, shifting can be jerky and unpredictable. Even my salesman tried to warn me against the DTC and I should have listened. Overall, it isn’t as bad as some reviewers make it sound, but it does take some getting used to.
Don't get me wrong; the car runs great. It's peppy, corners well, and is fun to drive. The issues I’ve had with my Tucson are mostly cosmetic, but are certainly not acceptable in a new vehicle. They pertain mostly to fit and finish problems and a lack of attention to detail. Misaligned body panels, broken clips in the headliner, a gap in the dashboard, and unusual noises emanating from the back end were annoying to say the least. Most of them have been addressed after repeated trips to the dealer, but it's disappointing just the same. Perhaps I got the last Tucson built on a Friday at closing time. Regardless, I wanted to love this vehicle, but I only like it, and I'll consider other brands when my lease expires.

2017 Tucson SE AWD
By John K.

2017 Hyundai Tucson SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car doesn't have all the frills of the "Value" or "Limited" models, but I wasn't looking for a flagship vehicle. The ride and handling is really good. The seats are decently comfortable. The sound system is fairly good. The amenities that you get on it for a base model are nice. Even got power driver's seat. Had the car for about 1.5 months now. MPG has been about 25-26 in mixed city driving. That's better than my last vehicle, a 2010 Kia Soul. Plus, I'm living in a more hilly part of the USA now, so it seems to have better fuel economy going up and down the hills here. Plus, the 2017 model I got new has a CD player in it. The 2018 models didn't have one. Being that I have music on hundreds of CDs, this makes it nice for me if I don't have a USB stick handy to drop some tunes on. If you're not looking for lots of flash and something that will turn heads and impress friends, but want something that looks nice, drives well, and is a good value...I could definitely suggest taking a look at this vehicle.

Engine replacement at 7300 miles!
By Tina T

2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Dead on arrival. Stop- do not buy. Please note that the severe engine problems continue. The 1.6 engine needed to be replaced after rod and crankshaft failure AT 7,350 miles. Also the premium sound system intermittently stops resulting in no sound from the stereo, navigation and apple play.

First new car purchase in 12 years and I regret it
By Rob K

2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I recently bought a new 2017 fully loaded Limited Tucson. Right now I have under 700 miles on the car and I've already had to take it in because the rear window washer stopped working. And now the drivers heated seat only stays on for about 3-5 minutes and shuts off. So now I'll probably have to take it in to the dealer again. Also the vehicle I have has the 7 speed DCT transmission. This transmission is absolute trash. It shifts down extremely hard, jerking my head back to the head rest and there has been a number of times when I've been pulling out of a driveway or side street on to a busy road and I need immediate acceleration to avoid getting hit by cars coming down the street. As I press the gas pedal I've noticed that the car literally just sits there and the tachometer goes up but the car doesn't move. It's almost like the transmission/ECU doesn't know what to do for a brief moment. It's beginning to become scary to drive this car in traffic because I'm unsure if it will deliver the power when I need it or when I press the gas pedal. Thankfully I didn't trade my 14 year old Audi in when I bought this thing because I'm probably going to put it up for sale in the coming days. To say I'm disappointed with this car and purchase is an understatement. Hyundai should be ashamed they produced a car like this.