2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Overall great inexpensive car
By James

2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you are looking into this car, you are probably looking at the Camry, Accord, Mazda 6, etc. personally this car is a greater value, but the others seem to have better soundproofing within their vehicles. the 2.0T engine is very good, i wouldn't purchase this car without the 2.0T engine. the 2.4 non turbo felt sluggish in test drives. it beats its competitors in leg room, and cargo room. the mpg could be better but i have a lead foot. My only real complaint about this car is the amount of road noise i hear when travelling at highway speeds.

2017 Transmission sucks!
By Ed S.

2017 Hyundai Sonata Eco 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I bought a 2017 Sonata Eco in December 2016. The transmission failed on August 18, 2018, even though I only have 15,600 miles on it. It is possible that this car is a lemon but beware!!

2017sonata sport with value package
By william mcdaniel

2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

having drove a 2015 sonata se for a year and a half I enjoyed it .all the reports about the great ride and quite inside while driving are true.the 2015 was rear ended june 2017 and protected the wife very well.I now own a 2017 sonata sport and been driving it for a month and loving it . bought it used for a great price too.

Worth a look
By William Atmur

2017 Hyundai Sonata SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Never owned a Hyundai in my life. Steep discounts and lots of features finally had me take a look. I really like the car. It’s not exactly eye catching, it doesn’t stand out from the crowd. The interior is very modern and well thought out. The acceleration is great! Sport mode is a thrill but the gas just drains like water. In all honesty I’m not impressed with the fuel economy but I’ve owned smaller cars up to this point so hard to compare. Getting into a comfortable seat position took some time. It does have a rental care feel to it at times. The seats stain easy, the brakes are firm but a bit mushy in my opinion. The whole car is thrown forward when it stops, that’s because of the weight. The trunk is absolutely useless - by far the most annoying draw back of the car.

Best car for the money
By David

2017 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had the entry level 2017 SE for about 15 months now and have 43,000 miles on it already. I drive a lot, I needed a car that would be comfortable, reliable and provide good gas mileage. I simply love this car... My wife has the 2017 elantra with the tech package, I wish that I had bought mine with the tech package. Even without the tech package I still had android auto and it is just awesome.The good news is 2018 sonata seems to have blind spot detector as a standard feature. However, the car is simply great. It is very quiet and comfortable. I did test drive a Camry before buying this car, the camry did seem slightly quieter and a little softer but that did not justify the price differential for me. I get about 36 mpg on my regular 50 mile commute. I love that the tank is big and I get a whopping 600 miles before I have to fill in the gas. The materials quality surpassed my expectation for this price point. The interior is roomy and tastefully designed. Only two things about this car bothers me. 1) there is no way to turn off the small white LED ambient light next to the sunglass holder. It bothered me a lot in the beginning but now I hardly notice it. 2) when I let go of the brakes from a complete stop sometimes there is a slight shudder/vibration felt (I don't believe my car has the stop start functionality). In the beginning I was worried but my wife's elantra does the same and hasn't caused any issues. The plan is to drive this vehicle till I see 300,000 miles on the odometer.