2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Worth a look
By William Atmur

2017 Hyundai Sonata SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Never owned a Hyundai in my life. Steep discounts and lots of features finally had me take a look. I really like the car. It’s not exactly eye catching, it doesn’t stand out from the crowd. The interior is very modern and well thought out. The acceleration is great! Sport mode is a thrill but the gas just drains like water. In all honesty I’m not impressed with the fuel economy but I’ve owned smaller cars up to this point so hard to compare. Getting into a comfortable seat position took some time. It does have a rental care feel to it at times. The seats stain easy, the brakes are firm but a bit mushy in my opinion. The whole car is thrown forward when it stops, that’s because of the weight. The trunk is absolutely useless - by far the most annoying draw back of the car.

Best car for the money
By David

2017 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had the entry level 2017 SE for about 15 months now and have 43,000 miles on it already. I drive a lot, I needed a car that would be comfortable, reliable and provide good gas mileage. I simply love this car... My wife has the 2017 elantra with the tech package, I wish that I had bought mine with the tech package. Even without the tech package I still had android auto and it is just awesome.The good news is 2018 sonata seems to have blind spot detector as a standard feature. However, the car is simply great. It is very quiet and comfortable. I did test drive a Camry before buying this car, the camry did seem slightly quieter and a little softer but that did not justify the price differential for me. I get about 36 mpg on my regular 50 mile commute. I love that the tank is big and I get a whopping 600 miles before I have to fill in the gas. The materials quality surpassed my expectation for this price point. The interior is roomy and tastefully designed. Only two things about this car bothers me. 1) there is no way to turn off the small white LED ambient light next to the sunglass holder. It bothered me a lot in the beginning but now I hardly notice it. 2) when I let go of the brakes from a complete stop sometimes there is a slight shudder/vibration felt (I don't believe my car has the stop start functionality). In the beginning I was worried but my wife's elantra does the same and hasn't caused any issues. The plan is to drive this vehicle till I see 300,000 miles on the odometer.

How Hyundai has let me down.
By Celest Chaitram

2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In June of 2017, I took in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata for an oil change at the Hyundai Dealership in Coconut Creek and I ended up purchasing a brand new 2017 Sonata Sport, mostly because I really liked the Android Auto feature (a feature that connects your phone to your car and permits you to use your phone while driving through voice activation) and I felt pressured by the salesman.
I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 which worked perfectly with my car for almost 9 months with no hiccups. About a month ago, my Android Auto begun disconnecting randomly, sometimes while I’m driving, far away from home, completely dependent on my GPS and the synchronization between my 2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport and my Samsung Galaxy S7 would abruptly end, forcing me to disconnect the USB cable, unlock the phone, turn the Bluetooth off, sometimes restart the handset (all while driving) in hopes that it would work when I reconnect. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten lost or missed turns. I begun receiving warning message on my phone stating that the software in the car was not compatible with my phone and that it needed to be updated, so I dropped my car off at the dealership, told them about the issue and expected when I pick up the vehicle later that day, that the problem would have been resolved. Boy was I wrong. The person who serviced my car, put a note in there stating that his phone connected and that it works. Obviously, when I get in and connect the phone, it connects, its randomly after some time the connection breaks and this foolishness begins. So, I reached out to Hyundai so basically told me that I need to use an old phone if I want my car to work. I have to use a Galaxy 6S, iPhone s6 or older. Well I almost $hit myself. They’re got to be kidding right?
I decided, maybe it’s a problem with my phone, because my phone begun freezing each time I disconnected it from the car, so last week I spent $750 and bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I was so excited thinking ‘finally, my car will work like it ought to again’. NOPE! It worked with the brand-new phone for 20 minutes before reverting to the same issue. In addition, there’s a notification on the screen in the car that blinks continuously saying ‘reading USB’ followed by ‘Unable to connect’.
Don’t even get me started on the time my trunk lock stopped working while I was moving into a new apartment and all my stuff got locked in the trunk or the fact that I can’t pump more than 4 dollars worth of gas without having the pump stop and having to just hold the lever on the gas pump down until I assume my tank is filled to avoid spillage.
I am beyond frustrated and angry. At this point the car was not worth wasting this much money over. I wish I never bought it, should have stuck with my 2012 Sonata, never had any issues with that one. They refuse to fix it, they don’t know how to. I’m really disappointed and wish there was a way to get them to take the car back if they can’t repair the 1 feature for which I purchased the car. Don’t waste your time, effort or money guys, trust me, the stress is NOT worth it.

Suprisingly Sporty
By Alli

2017 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just bought the SE model from a rental car sale company, although I can hardly tell it is not new. It accelerates so quietly and quickly that you have to watch your speedometer. We had rented this same model two years back for a little road trip and were really impressed with the comfort for four adults, three who are tall. We took it on winding mountain roads and to narrow coastal lanes and it handled perfectly. The interior is attractive and the electronics interface is friendly and not annoying. I love driving this car.

More thanGreat
By William E. Jones

2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my Sonata and can't believe all the features that it offers at a very modest price. I have had it for over a year and have never had anything to complain about. A great car at an ever greater price.