2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata Hybrid model:

No problem for more than a year.
By Jason

2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I could be very insensitive but I've never had a serious acceleration problem.

Great commuter car, but read this first...
By Mark S

2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Prologue: this is a bit long, but has a lot of insight into our 2015 Sonata Hybrid, I promise.

This is our second Sonata, and we're on our second Santa Fe. Let me start by saying I'm a car enthusiast. I'm also an engineer, and can tell where the quality was added or removed. That being said, overall, I think this is an excellent commuter car and good for long vacation drives with the family. It's by no means very entertaining to drive, though.

Cons first:
Engine: I've also witnessed the good two seconds or so lag between my smashing the gas pedal to get 100% "go" mode and when the car finally wakes up it's lazy electric hybrid slumber and becomes motivated. [Insert brown stain joke here.] NOTE: by turning off the Hybrid system (the bottom button on the right side of the steering wheel), you will get immediate use of all the torque in the electric motor. So, you can correct this acceleration issue. But, there's also a braking problem (more than one actually), too.

When you smash the brake pedal for 100% stop mode, you get a full second of lazy hybrid regen braking before the system goes "Oh, is this a panic stop?". At which point, you get a brief 100% brake lockup (haven't seen those since the 90's), and THEN the anti-lock brakes kick in. [Insert second brown stain joke]. This is just inexcusable. Note to Hyundai: if the computer registers 100% gas pedal, or 100% brake pedal, override all gas mileage software and either stop or go immediately. (Simultaneous brake and gas application should yield to the brakes, so no runaway Prius events occur).

Also related to the brakes... In normal mode, I like the brakes. They slow better than those on my Santa Fe. BUT, it's really hard to slowly roll the car in/out of your garage, or out of a parking spot, at a nice 2 MPH or so. The brakes just don't want to let you roll under 5MPH or so. Expect a lot of fast stops at lights and stop signs at the end of your rolls, too.

Steering: Hyundai electric steering needs work. Yes, you can steer with one finger (if you like that), but both this and my Santa Fe have an issue both staying in a straight line down even the smoothest of roads and when (sloooowly) returning to center after a turn. No "hands slipping" on the wheel after the turn to have it all re-center. You need to very directly unwind the wheel. Using "sport" mode exasperates the issue -- now it drifts and then quickly darts when I turn the wheel a smidge. And the return to center issue isn't resolved.

Cruise control: what century is this? Hyundai cruise control, to put it bluntly, sucks. On GENTLY rolling (undulating) roads, set the cruise for say 45 MPH. The car will slow to 40-41, then quickly accelerate to 48. Then the next hill arrives and the process repeats. Constant 7-8 MPH speed changes to make everyone seasick. My 2005 Nissan Quest minivan was able to keep a tighter range. Hyundai: check out the 2016 Malibu. I don't care about the vacuum and other sensors needed for cruise. I want to set the SPEED (in MPH here in the US). On the Malibu, you hit the cruise 'set' button and the speed is displayed in the little center LCD screen. And darn if it doesn't move more than 1 MPH below on those same rolling hills. I rarely saw it overshoot the set speed at all when going down the hills. (I rented the Malibu for a month after Santa Fe #1 was totaled.)

Spare tire: none.

And finally, the suspension. Hit a small depression in an asphalt back-road at even 35 MPH and you'll bottom out the car. Sometimes this will even cause the cruise control to shut down after the suspension bumps up against the stops. I know there is a few hundred pounds of battery under the rear seats, but it doesn't take much shifting to bottom out the vehicle, really.

Now, here's the crazy thing: overall, I like the car.... for commuting and long open highways.
I'm not looking for excitement during my commute (it's nice, but one can't do much in traffic). My commute is probably the worst possible for gas mileage: 3 minute stop light, then everyone gets back up to 55 MPH just as we hit the next stop light. Repeat for an hour. With this scenario, I am still getting between 33 and 34 MPG. That's 10 MPG better than my previous non-hybrid returned on the same route. For pure open highway road trips we see ~37 MPG. Some people may point out a few vehicles with better mileage, but the Sonata is a decent size (mid-size) car. There's much more space in it than a Prius or VW.

The trunk does shrink a bit due to the batteries, but we can still fit three large suitcases, two dozen water bottles, and squishy luggage in the trunk during road trips. Back seat is plenty roomy for two teens.

The seats are comfortable, the car is very quiet (even with the gas motor running), and reliability for us has been very high (high, but not perfect) for Hyundai's since 2011. As for pricing, buy a gently used Hyundai or one with rebates for the best deal. End of my $0.02.

Take it from the owner of 2 Sonata Hyb - Dont Buy!
By DontBuyIt

2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I should start by saying I had a 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited that had serious acceleration hesitation problems, and I was nearly killed twice on our Southern California Freeways. As many others have complained (and Hyundai couldn't care less) these Hybrids are dangerous to be driving. After I wouldn't drive it anymore, and sent Hyundai corporate my rental car bills they finally and I mean it was like pulling teeth to get them to examine the car and agree to replace it.
So now I have had the 2015 Limited for about 9 months, and it is much better than the 2013 especially with the hesitation malfunction. I am now convinced that Hyundai redesigned the transmission linkage to the driveshaft because believe it or not 2015 drivers, this model year is much better than before.
The mileage is still a marketing hoax - I get about 35mpg overall.

But here is the biggest reason of all to avoid this car...the jaw dropping depreciation!! This car is only worth $19,000 at carmax, and a Hyundai dealer! It cost $33,000 9 months ago. Even my additional Gap coverage with my auto insurance company will not cover a total loss (and that is 25% over the vehicles cash value!) I was switching my Auto Insurance this month from Mercury and the new Agent at AAA said we do not offer Gap Coverage, and on your car --- you will need it. In fact he said I cannot ethically recommend that you switch your auto insurance because of the massive depreciation in the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

So I guess that about sums it up...even with over $10,000 in electric rebates in California I STILL cannot get out of the Sonata Hybrid even with over $5,000 down!
Obviously no car is an investment (unless its a 2005 Accord lol) but c'mon even Hyundai Dealers won't touch a used Sonata Hybrid trade-on because they know first hand it collect dust on thier lot for months before it gets shipped off to auction.

Love the car but dangerous
By Dennis Green

This is a beautiful car. It gets great mileage, has a very comfortable ride and we got a very good deal on it. It is our 3rd Sonata and we have been very happy with Hyundai. I would like to give this car five stars but two times in less than 3000 miles it has stalled on acceleration. When we had our first dealer service I reported this but, of course, the mechanic could not duplicate the problem. Both times it has happened was when I was turning left across oncoming traffic with plenty of room if I accelerated. If I had been driving an old car I would have said it flooded out, which of course I know doesn't happen now. After pumping the gas pedal several times it finally got going but not without the oncoming cars honking and the drivers making rude gestures. I would guess the problem to be the electronics responsible for transferring power from the batteries to the gas engine.

Unbelievable how bad
By David Heyden

This is my third sonata, my first hybrid. The gas mileage on average is 19 to 22, the electronics reset randomly. The cruise control has a mind of its own and when set at 45 mph I have had it accelerate on its own to above 70 mph. I couldn't be more dissatisfied. I have had zero response from Hyundai. They just transfer me to the dealership which hasn't produced any results.