2021 Hyundai Kona SUV Consumer Reviews

$20,500

Save as much as $2,318
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Well-built Car With Solid Feel (after a discovery)

AndyH, 03/13/2021
NIGHT 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

It was time to replace the old family minivan, as the days of "family" road trips were behind us. Kona's mostly driven by my wife for a pretty short commute to work. I did the legwork and checked out new vehicles and after reading some great reviews over multiple sources decided upon the Kona. I drove both the 2.0 and the 1.6 Turbo and ended up buying the Night Edition with 1.6T as it was noticeably more responsive than the non-turbo version and definitely like the look of the 18 inch wheels with blackout treatment. Hyundai warranty gave an extra boost of confidence. Read some reviews saying that if you're on the taller side you might feel a bit cramped in it (not our issue), so we feel the seats and sight lines out the windows were excellent. Backup camera is a great feature and appears to have decent illumination and angle of view to make backing up a breeze. Tilt/Telescopic steering wheel is great and the interior overall is well laid out. Rear hatch space is adequate for a grocery run and if you need more space you can always fold down the rear seats. Again, this is not a car for a family of 5 or 6. Rear legroom good for kids or shorter adults. Probably wouldn't want to be back there for extended periods. Acceleration is more than adequate with the turbo and for me it seems to cruise at 65/70mph at about 2400 rpm with the 7 speed auto transmission. I don't get the feelingthat this engine is struggling as it performs "normal" driving tasks. Now I'll mention an issue that was very disturbing bu SO easily remedied. I'm driving the car both on local roads and some highway, and I'd experience what I'd call "steernig drift" or "wandering". I'd hold my hands lightly on the wheel and it would suddenly jerk to the right...or left for no apparent reason. As someone who's been around cars a long time and likes to work on them I'm thinking things like alignment, tire issues, tie rods and all those things related to steering issues. Did some research and found that the problem lies with the ACTIVE LANE KEEPING system which is part of the Lane Departure feature. This system uses sensors to look at the road lines to keep you centered and will actually feel like someone (or something) is tugging at the steering wheel against your will. This system can be fooled by road cracks and other poor road surface issues which in the northeast is almost EVERYWHERE. I was able to turn off the "Active Lane Keeper" feature in the menu system, and VOILA!, I'm back in control of the wheel and no more drift and wandering steering. After further research such organizations as AAA warn against the use of these systems, claiming they're still in their infancy and could do more harm than good. I would agree that these systems are NOT ready for prime-time. This is not a Hyundai issue. I read the exact same thing about other brands including 70k Audis. You can still keep the "lane alert" feature on. That's the one that beeps if you drift over the lane lines, but it WON'T attempt to steer the car for you. Long review, but trying to save someone the headache of making this discovery. Absolutely 5 star car and I'd highly recommend it.

Bang for buck

Bob, 10/13/2020
SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

While it has some size draw backs (which is expected in a compact suv) even my base model had more bells and whistles that I ever expected. I went to the dealership and said all I want is AWD, got in and was wondering what all this other stuff is. Nimble and fun to drive and actually for a four cylinder it impressed me, not that it's going to be a drag racer but it's capable and gets great mpg. I might give it five if just a tad more cargo area.

A very happy customer

Amy , 01/20/2021
SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Prior to my 2021 Kona, I had a 2016 accent. I am so happy with my new purchase! I love that Kona has excellent crash ratings, as my other car was totaled by a dump truck. I feel safe and I love that my car is up off the ground. I also loved that my car is AWD, as I live in upstate NY. There are so many new features I am getting used to. For example, the back up camera. I love my new car and I highly recommend it!

Little Beauty

JA Jones, 10/26/2020
Limited 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

If you like the feel of driving an SUV, but the size of some models seems unnecessary or intimidating, the Kona is perfect! It’s a Goldilocks size - just right! I just bought two 50 pound bags of livestock feed and they fit in the back easily. All the great features are too numerous to mention, but the technology is all state of the art. Zippy when it comes to power, housed in a smart looking vehicle with attractive lines, the Kona is a great ride, no question!

Zippy 1.6 turbo

Kona Ultimate Driver , 04/16/2021
Ultimate 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

A SUV that is smaller footprint but yet roomy for 4 adults, very responsive acceleration due to the turbo and torque, the steering is electric assist and is smooth and precise, we test drove 6 other vehicles suv class and this one beats the rest we feel all around in comfort, size, in city and highway driving, also has HUD display, lane assist, adaptive speed control and so many more upgrades in the Kona Ultimate version. We love it ! All I can say is test drive.