2017 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Kimchi of Korean Kars
By jim s

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Went looking for a used car and found a better deal with a new Hundai - given their warranty that eliminated purchasing an extended warranty.

Elantra Eco beats my Prius V mpg on the hiway
By Al

2017 Hyundai Elantra Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

After owning 6 (5 new, 1 used) Prius hybrids in a row, I got a 2017 Elantra Eco that gets 43 to 48 mpg on interstate driving compared to 40 to 41 mpg on my 2012 Prius V wagon. I still use the Prius V around town but I prefer the Elantra for highway driving, where the Elantra is much quieter and has so much more power that makes the driving so effortless and comfortable. The Prius V is a bigger vehicle but it is underpowered for the highway and there is very little reserve power for passing or going up long uphill grades which makes driving more of a concentrated effort. The Elantra's small 1.4 liter engine has less power but the turbocharger gives more torque over a wide range that lets it outperform the normal Elantra 2 liter engine with more power. You can feel the pulling power of that torque in normal driving without the engine screaming at high rpm so you hear less engine noise as a result. I rented a 2017 Toyota Prius Three for a day and averaged 49.95 mpg over 470 miles. My Elantra Eco averaged 43.55 mpg over that same route. That is too small a difference to justify the $8000 premium for the Prius which was noisier than my Elantra and still underpowered for passing and long uphill climbs. Over 100000 miles, that is a saving of 294 gallons. Even at $5 per gallon, that is only a $1471 saving over 100000 miles. You would have to drive the Prius 543848 miles to break even with the Elantra Eco--that is to say that you would never recover the higher cost of the Prius by fuel savings over the Elantra Eco. My Elantra Eco was discounted $4000 below MSRP, a very common discount from Hyundai. I never received more than a token $1500 discount on one of my new Prius hybrids--I paid full retail for all the other new Prius hybrids. I am a retired petroleum geologist and I am convinced gasoline prices will not even come close to $5 per gallon in the next couple of decades because of the wealth of shale oil available in the US and around the world. If we do have to pay more than $5 per gallon, it will be because of currency collapse, when the world loses confidence in the dollar and commodities such as oil suddenly become more valuable. I do not plan to buy any more hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles will have to be comparable in price to gasoline powered vehicles to be of any interest.

Great car if you live in warm states
By Cliff

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

If you live in Midwest be aware of the joke they call a heater. Not only can you operate the heat on low or 2nd to low. Even after it idles for 45 min still won't clear windows off sure can't use defrost and floor heat. Bad part is Hyundai is aware of this issue and admited it to us. But won't fix it instead told us it is up to there specs. Told us run it on low or second to low and use your seat warmer. That was from Hyundai Corp in which plain and simple doesn't care. Do not buy an Elantra unless you live in Arizona, California or other year around warm states. Their Corp no problem to big or small complaint is our job to help or resolve is a joke. Stay away. We had 5000 miles and luckily another dealer bought it back and we bought different car. Needless to say was junk Hyundai Elantra.

2017 Hyundai Elantra ECO - A mixed bag review
By Bryan F.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

The biggest thing I would tell anyone looking for an Elantra is that tall people need not apply. I am 6'1" and I have a hard time getting in and out of my ECO model. We also had an issue after two months of ownership where the car just suddenly died in our driveway. The car was in the shop for almost three days when they finally discovered that the battery connections were not correct and the issue was fixed. A final note is that the transmission hesitates (at times) in first gear and when you need to get going in a hurry, expect to have to press the gas pedal harder to get started. For the positives, I love the blind-spot monitoring system and the infotainment system, Gas mileage consistently delivers above the EPAs listed numbers. Four adults fit fairly comfortably (with exception to my earlier comment about being tall). My ECO has plenty of power to go over Utah mountain passes even loaded down with four adults and a trunk full of Costco Supplies.

Outstanding compact/midsize daily driver
By Hoosier Driver

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Outstanding value at ACTUAL selling prices, which was ~US$3800 lower than Civic Touring in my case. Not including the extra $$$ the Honda would cost to extend the warranty to 5 years like the Hyundai. The Limited trim level (especially with options) seems like a much pricier car. LOTS of features unique in the class- like memory driver's seat, turning HID headlights (great feature!), and nifty 'welcome lights' in the door handle. Height adjustable passenger seat, which I really like. Ride and noise level very good for the class. OUTSTANDING brakes (which car magazines also write about). More opening feeling front cockpit than competitors. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of front leg room. Rear seat wider than Civic, but with a bit less fore-aft leg room. Fun to drive, although steering not quite as sharp as top-end Civic or Mazda 3. Despite 3 mo of Midwest winter potholes (horrible this year), the car has been rock solid with NO squeaks or rattles. Mileage beats EPA estimates, with an honest 40+mpg at 70+ on the highway. The only criticism I have is that power is mid-pack for the class. No drag racer, but easily keeps up with urban/suburban commuter traffic.