Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

10 yr Review - Fantastic value!
By diydriver

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2008 as the third owner (1st yr, rental car company;2nd owner, military who commuted 60 miles each way to base). Bought for $5400 w/55k miles, I drove it for 2yrs locally, going to work, errands on weekend, avg'd 29/city. Took a job 102 miles each way, commuted each day for 18 months, avg'd 35 highway! Mileage at start of job was 70k, 145k when done. Since then, local commute is all-city, avg 28mpg. I now have 170k miles, and the only major expenses I've had are tires, wheel bearings, and FWD axles. Also replaced a few broken door handles, spark plugs, plug wires, & belts, but those are cheap.

Most reliable and cheapest car to operate I've EVER owned in 30 years.

Edmunds wants an UPDATE:

Sold at 175k miles, still going strong. The replacement? A 2013 Hyundai Accent hatchback, of course!
These cars are undervalued compared to the value they offer.

Champina -- surprised to find a new love!
By mikistewart

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our used 2004 Accent GL Sedan last August for $3,600.00. This amazing compact car quickly became our go-to choice -- even for distance travel! She's already been roundtrip from Nebraska to Arizona. We named her "Champina".

Our first vehicle is a 2001 Dodge RAM Pickup with every luxury; Champy was bought as Mom's "local errand car". When gas prices topped $3 a gallon, she became our primary transportation. The Accent's fuel economy, comfort and reliablity have won us over; our 15 MPG RAM is reserved for hauling, intown errands and "boys night out!"

She has needed only regular maintenance in >15,000 miles of all-weather mountain travel.

Well designed interior/trunk: Hubby is over 6 feet tall. I am a mere 5'2"; yet, the car is comfortable for both. With back seats lowered for trunk access, tents, sleeping bags, gifts, 2 suitcases each and even more fits! Fuel economy: I get nearly 400 miles per tank of regular gas, although I've never used the final 1.2 gallons to truly empty. We regularly get close to 40 MPG highway mileage. Combined mileage averages 35. Around town, about 30 (which is the conservative highway MPG on the sticker!) General economy: 4 tires and spare replaced for $300. Other vehicles cost $700 minimum. Oil changes are less due to small oil reservoir. 4 cylinder engine means low cost major repairs.

Transmission issue
By Mo

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The car has transmission issue, i thought it is mine only, then after researching the web i found it is very common, it is also pulls to the right, i took it to Firestone, they found a factory error that can not be corrected (it was not that bad), the conclusion is: you get what you pay for, the good thing is parts are kinda cheap compared to other cars.

good gas mileage, excellent air condition.

Fixing the transmission issue

Great car w/ good gas mileage!
By MikeB

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for a little over 2 years about 30,000 miles. I traded in a WRX for this so it was quite different but I needed a better price and gas mileage. It was comfortable got around 30mpg and never had any issues!

Gas mileage, comfortable.

Shorter shifter.

Very good car
By Dan-R

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an absolutely wonderful small car. I use it to go to work everyday. Very very reliable. I am hitting around 35mpg on highway. I have never spent any money to fix anything (there weren't many) yet. Hyundai honors their warranty very well.

Fuel economy, user-friendly dashboard controls.

Larger wheels. The wheels are 13' - not very good on bumpy/dirt roads or on snow.