Used 2003 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Approach with caution
By Jesse

2003 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 117K miles on it for $2600 with the hopes of it getting me through 4 years of college. Here I am, about to be a Junior, and I'm back in the used car market. I loved this car when I first bought it. I have the very basic model, manual locks and windows and manual transmission. It was so small and fun to drive and got GREAT gas mileage. However, the repairs were frequent and annoying, from wheel bearings to clutch replacement, leaving me without a car for days (and sometimes weeks) at a time. I've probably put over $2000 into it in 2 1/2 years. Now, at 140K miles, the transmission, rear struts, and timing belt are all giving out and it's just not worth the money anymore. It was a good car when it was doing good, but I would approach this purchase with caution.

Hyundai Accent
By Marianne

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

It is a great little car to get around.

Excellent City and Family Car!
By driver_lori

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Accent with 4 miles on it for $11,500.
Perfect city car - fits into small spots and not very likely to be vandalized.

Then I lived in an area with steep hills and never got stuck, even with ice and snow. The car complained about making it up the hills but always did. Definiltey not a lot of power but does the trick.

Fast forward 7 years and my husband and I now use the car with our twins rear-facing. We can fit the double stroller in the truck with room to spare and a single stroller in back. There's enough leg room. I have to laugh at people who think they need an SUV....the Accent is perfectly adequate!

No major repairs and I'm at almost 140K miles!!

Compact but can store a surprising amount of cargo, low maintenance (averages $1200 a year), good gas mileage, versatile, reliable, great warranty.

Needs vents in back to keep backseat passengers warm/cool, buttons on radio stick, resale value could be better but I plan to drive the car into the ground so that's a mute point for me.

Darla is a champ!
By jpedlhuber

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for the last 5 years and hand loved every day. I nicknamed her "Darla" after taking it out to Colorado for the second time. It did great on all of those mountain roads and even handled well in the snow. I really think that driving it is very comfortable and it was well worth the money. Mine came "loaded" with A/C, a CD player, and power windows, doors, and locks. I'm only looking to sell it now because my wife doesn't want to learn how to drive stick!

-40+ MPG! -Cold Air -Reliable, no big mechanical problems -Cheap to maintain

-The Paint (Ever since I've gotten it the paint has been a big issue. It wasn't covered under warranty because it wasn't "bumper to bumper"....it was on the bumper. Lame. -No passenger side arm rest. I always awkwardly have to share mine with whoever I'm driving with -Dents very easily

I LOVED my little red accent...
By ks2282

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new off the lot as my first car for about 10k...super cheap for a car that lasted me about 7 years. I never once had a problem with it until someone side-swiped it last weekend and totaled it. I was so sad to see it go. I had over 110,000 miles on it,and i only had to replace the brakes once, and change my headlights once. Otherwise it was all sched. maintenance. BEST warranty ever too. A good first car for anyone, or even a commuter. Just maintain your oil changes and services, and this car will last you forever!.

great gas mileage for long trips, easy to drive, RELIABLE

more comfortable seats, better knobs on the dash