Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

Used Pilot for Sale
Select your model:
12345...79

Pros
Cons

I love my Pilot, even at 187,000 miles!

hampton6410, 08/20/2012
EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot used in 2009 and now even at 187,000 miles it still drives just as good. We have not had any major issues and only do the Honda recommended maintenance. We do change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, not 5,000. The Pilot has been a great car overall. The only thing that I wish was better was the gas mileage. We have also owned two CRV's and currently own a 2005 Accord, and all have been great. We have had no major issues even with our 2003 CRV with 197,000 miles that we just traded in on the Accord.

10 year old Honda Pilot...strong vehicle.

Chris Williamson, 06/16/2016
EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've always wanted an SUV. Dreamt of driving a Ford Explorer. Then I came across this Honda Pilot at the dealership's used lot. It had one adult owner and meticulous records, taken in for oil changes, maintenance, and repair like clockwork. So it was in great condition and it showed. I've now been driving it for a few months and I love it! It has 3 rows of seats in case I need to haul people, but those fold down to create a lot of cargo space if I need to haul equipment. It's a 2005 so of course I upgraded the stereo (had a tape player lol). The speakers are next. the starter went out as did the AC. The starter was a pain to fix but I did it myself. The AC I haven't taken in yet. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much. Overall a great ride!

Great even after 250k miles!

Luke E., 01/31/2019
EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Perhaps the number one problem consumers have with this car (based on reviews and word-of-mouth) is that the radiators fail. This is common for this year of Pilot in particular, and involves the intra-radiator transmission cooler fittings failing and mixing fluids. Antifreeze is really horrible on automatic transmission clutch packs and burns them out quickly (when, not if), leaving you with a time bomb of a vehicle. Fortunately (though I didn't think it was fortunate when reading the Carfax!), my Pilot was involved in an front-end collision when it was nearly new, resulting in a new unit being installed and removing the radiator that was part of the "bad batch." I have since bypassed the radiator cooler with an external unit (and temp gauge for good measure) and have had no issues (the pan temp remains below 160 at all times). This was because the current "replacement" radiator has over 200,000 miles on it and I didn't want to take any chances on the fittings failing again. However, if you own this vintage of Pilot, I would recommend you either replace the radiator or bypass it with an aftermarket transmission cooler ASAP. Most of the bigger RV-rated air coolers are more than sufficient. As for other maintenance items, I do all my own work so the following list of replacements should be taken with a grain of salt and do not consider labor costs. So far, I have replaced the alternator, both manifold pre-catalytic converters (the rear bank was a particular PITA), the ground strap, had to seal the fender grommets (was leaking into the cabin), replace exhaust rubber hangers, and do a valve adjustment. Everything else was standard maintenance including two timing belts, batteries, tires, spark plugs, fluid changes, etc. I would not trade this Pilot for the world. My only gripe is that it does not have side curtain airbags; it only has front side airbags. However, I knew this when I bought the vehicle. It has been flawless thus far with regular fluid changes, and I wouldn't give up my car for anything. The drivetrain is strong enough that it will last to 400k. The interior is spartan (to be generous), but I love my Pilot!

Our Pilot

Piloteer101, 01/31/2016
EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After out 2010 Chrysler Town & Country was totaled we found this beauty on the lot. It's pretty to look at, the paint on this thing is AMAZING. We like that the outside looks small, but there's 8 seats. It's really fun and smooth to drive too. Just wish that you could get DVD entertainment along with Navigation at the same time, not sure why that wasn't possible.

love after 10 years

lena, 10/20/2015
EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had times with 13 mpg in the city traffic holdups. So prepare to pay for gas. Reliable, but dealer maintenance prices are $500-650 after a few years.

12345...79