Used 2009 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Need the capacity of a truck without being a truck
By Jason Whiting

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle to haul stuff but still have a useable back seating. Just love how th back seats fold up and out of the way or can be completely taken out. I’ve put lots of highway miles on this vehicle with no regrets. My 5th Honda all with over 100k . My crv had 250k and the element currently has 180k and still running strong. The element is also good in the snow

Happy Overall
By Iggy Flop

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Owned this car for a little over a year now and the experience has been a good one overall. It's fun to drive, It feels solidly built, and I've yet to have any mechanical problems with it. Is is fairly flexible, But don't expect to be moving any couches or other bulky items. It's deceptively short, and if you really wanna pack it, you've got to lose the rear seats all together, which thankfully is fairly easy. Yes they flip up, but they bulge a good bit which takes up space. Not to mention block all visibility out of the right / rear window (kind of an important one if you're a lane changer). My biggest problem though is that the paint is chipping/ spidering, and Honda will not help.

reliable, feels good to drive, easy to clean interior, XM radio

The radio is a far reach from the drivers seat, makes it really hard / uncomfortable to navigate through 150+ XM channels. And 10 presets are simply not enough. If the radio and the automatic shifter swapped places, It would be a lot easier to enjoy the benefits of XM. Paint chipping at 4 mos : (

Love our Element
By Otown Jim

2009 Honda Element SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We really love our Element. We purchased the vehicle to make it easier to transport our dog (Samoyed). The removable seats in the back are perfect and the room once removed is terrific. The Element handles well in the snow (took it to Montana through multiple snowstorms during Thanksgiving week). Lastly, our boy Buck just loves his new car! Excellent choice for dog lovers and people needing some additional cargo room.

Removable seats, XM Radio and AWD

I smile whenever I get behind the wheel
By Madison

2009 Honda Element SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have been wanting one of these since the first year they came out. I am not disappointed and would have taken the plunge sooner but my 97 Honda Odyssey just would not wear out. I finally passed it on to someone who appreciated it. The Element has it all - my dog agrees. Plenty of space, fun to drive, Honda reliability and goes thru the snow and ice in Wisconsin like you're driving in July. The clamshell doors are kind of a pain in a tight parking lot but you figure it out. The stereo system is great and the satellite radio rocks. I like being able to just take my bike at the end of a ride and roll it into the back end. The floor cleans up from muddy dogs with ease.

Favorite features are the flip open back end and the flip up seats. The back seats flip up in about 15 seconds each and you can pull them totally out in just a few minutes after you get used to it. I like to crank the front seat all the way up. Same visibility as in my old Trooper

It would be nice to have a telescoping steering wheel. HD radio would also be good.

Element SC
By Ben in Yorba Linda

2009 Honda Element SUV SC 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Recently purchased, put first 1K miles on her today. Overall excellent car, feels very safe. For only a 4 cylinder I am averaging only 20 miles per gallon. Interior is cheap for the most part, especially considering it is a $24K rig. Cheap plastic steering wheel, no ipod controls and no security system come standard, you have to add them as accessories. Wake up Honda and make these standard. Heavy orange peel in paint. Extremely vulnerable to chips. This is unacceptable for any modern vehicle.

Plastic body panels, solid feel nice sound system.

$24K is a lot of money for anyone. Honda needs to offer security system, leather steering wheel and Ipod controls standard.