Used 2017 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

Used CR-V for Sale
Select your model:
12345...65

Pros
Cons
1 out of 5 stars

Fuel in oil!

Robert N. Bryant, 11/03/2018
EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Do not buy this vehicle. The engine is pumping gasoline into the oil crankcase. It's not about cold weather or short drives either. Honda is lying. I have a heated garage and this happened in the summer and I drive over 45 minutes highway miles, non stop each day. The dealership will not take action or fix the problem. Long term, the engine will not last.

Follow up after ownership

opensky1, 06/03/2017
Touring 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I wrote my first review based on test drives. I bought the Touring model, loaded, and even added back up sensors and other accessories. I couldn't get what I wanted in my home town, so I bought it in another town while staying with my Aunt and Uncle. They loved it so much they went and bought the exact same car except for the color! I traded in my 2017 Mustang convertible for it (at a huge loss - 58% after 7 mos.), but it was worth it. The Mustang was great in every way except one - I couldn't get out of it. I am a retired senior (68) and it was taking a toll on my joints. My aunt also has knee problems and loved how easy the CR-V is to get in and out of. They traded in a Lincoln Town Car on it, and my uncle appreciates the large number speedometer. This car has a luxury feel, rides smooth and quiet, and has all the driver assist features that I want of the available ones except for a front parking sensor. It is amazing in rush hour stop & go traffic, great in rain. I expect to have it a long time. I think most seniors would benefit from this car, EX model and higher. I wrote about testing the competition (RAV4, CX-5, Escape, Forester, etc.) and there is no comparison for me. Give it a test drive next to other similar ones lilsted above in the same day! Then you will know where you want to spend your time and cruise the blacktop. For me, CRV was a major standout.

1 out of 5 stars

Nice SUV with major engine problem

First time Honda owner, 04/09/2018
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

During the first 3000 miles I would have rated the CRV excellent in most categories. It is comfortable and roomy for both myself at over 6 feet tall, and my wife at 5 feet tall. The acceleration and gas mileage (25mpg around town) are both very good. I miss having a heated steering wheel and vented seats, which are not available on the CRV. However, at 3200 miles a serious engine problem showed up. At 70mph the car suddenly slowed, lost power, the check engine light came on, and multiple electrical systems reported malfunctions in the dash display. The car was towed to the Honda dealer and diagnosed with excess gas (approximately one quart) in the oil. The oil and filter was changed as a temporary solution, and a tech line case was opened with Honda. I was told at this time there is no permanent recall or fix. I was advised that this is a known problem in cold climates where the car is used for short drives and does not warm up completely. Since then I have learned that all CRVs with the 1.5 liter turbocharged engine have been recalled in China for the same problem. If you live in a cold climate I would not recommend this car at this time. I am submitting this update nine months after the original gas in the oil problem. There is still no fix from Honda. We have had one month of cold weather in Pennsylvania and the oil level is already one half inch above the maximum level on the dipstick. I am taking the car back for another oil change as this is the only remedy currently available. February 2019 - A software fix to the fuel injectors was applied two months after my last review update to fix the gas in oil problem. I won't know if the problem is really fixed until we get cold weather again. In warm weather the car continues to perform very well. February 2020. The software fix did not work. After 4000 miles and two months of winter weather the oil level was 3/4 inch over the maximum mark on the dip stick. I had the oil changed to prevent a repeat of the original problem where we were stranded along the road waiting for a tow truck. Honda will not pay for the oil changes. I filed another complaint with Honda and the initial email said I would receive a response in three days. It has now been three weeks and I have not gotten a response from them yet. September 2020 - After talking to a Honda representative and the local service manager it looks like there is no additional "fix" coming from Honda. The only response I have gotten is that I need to change the oil more often in cold weather, and the engine warranty has been extended one year. Not a solution.

2 out of 5 stars

Buyer beware

Harley Morse, 08/11/2017
EX 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I like everything about the car except that at freeway speeds there is a lot of wind noise. So much that you need to turn up the radio and speak louder. We only have 4000 miles on our car and have contacted Honda several times. Finally, they that that was just the way the car was made. Before you pay $35 thousand dollars for one of these 2017 models make sure you drive it at freeway speeds and can tolerate the noise.

1 out of 5 stars

Don't believe all they hype

KMcAdam, 02/03/2018
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I purchased my 2017 Honda CRV Touring AWD in June 2017. The day I went to take delivery the salesman was doing his walk around with me and showing me how to operate the car. They were all ready to let me drive off the lot when I pointed out that the drivers seat bolster was malformed and deflated. The mechanic comes out and says they never saw anything like that. So I take the car home and make an appointment to drop it off so they can disassemble the seat to find out what is wrong. After 3 days they get the parts and put the seat back together. I go to pick it up. They seat is ok. Not perfect and the nice tan leather interior is covered in black greasy hand prints. So they bring another guy out to clean it. Which should have been done before I even got there. Fast forward 6 months and it is time for the 5000 mile check up and oil change. I tell them I have been hearing lifter noises and a strange whining from the transmission. After an hour in the waiting room they take me out to the garage to show me the underneath of new car covered in some kind of fluid that is leaking from somewhere under the motor. They don't know what kind of fluid it is. So I have to leave my car while they try to figure out what is wrong with it. A week later I get a call saying they think it is oil and it is the rear main seal. They tell me it was probably like that since my last change, at which time I point out that this is the first oil change on my new car so they say it was probably installed wrong at the factory and has been leaking like that since I got it new off the lot. They also tell me they don't know what they sounds are that I was hearing. So I guess I was hearing things! 3 weeks later they finally have the car back together and are going to drive it for 50 miles and make sure that there is no more leak. I opened up a case with Honda Motor Corp. because I have serious doubts about the reliability of this vehicle since it has been like this since the factory how do I know what kind of damage it has suffered internally? They mechanics say they didn't see any metal chips in the oil but I still don't trust them. I will be getting rid of this car. I don't trust. Honda Quality has gone right done the toilet.

2 out of 5 stars