Skip to main content

Save as much as $1,220
Select your trim:
12345...10

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Fun to Drive and Economical

Pat, 05/11/2021
2021 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Just bought a new 2021 Honda Civic EXL sedan. The 1.5 turbo is peppy. The ride is firm but handles the bumps in the road well. The steering is as close to perfect as you can get. I really like the way it drives and handles. We live in the hills where there is a mix of curves and straight roads. So far I'm averaging between 38-39 mpg. The driver seat fits my 5'8" frame well and is comfortable. The Android auto is a bit quirky but I'm not used to it yet. Google maps and XM radio thru the APP functions like its suppose to. I was reading about fuel delusion problems with the 1.5 T engines, but so far I see no problems with mine. I wasn't sure I'd like the CVT, not saying that its great but nothing to deduct from the overall driving experience. Sport mode is quite a joy to use, peps things up a lot. With the excellent resell value of the Civics I plan to trade every 2-3 years to the new model as long as trends don't change. I might even try a manual transmission (if I can find one). You can't go wrong with a Civic.

Tough on the Butt

AM, 02/22/2021
2021 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Very pretty car, lots of bells and whistles. However, after driving for a few hours my back and Coccyx bone were hurting so badly that I had trouble walking after. This has happened more than once. I've never had that problem before. I guess I'll have to shop for a seat cover with a lumbar support and bottom pad. Otherwise - it's a nice car.

3 out of 5 stars

A good value overall but not perfect

John Teere, 04/17/2021
2021 Honda Civic Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Overall this is a good value for the price and one of the more interesting options in the segment now that I've had a few years to get over the controversial body styling. Of course I don't have concerns about reliability, holding market value, etc. There are plenty of modern features available and the car is fairly fun to drive for a commuter, though it doesn't compare to, say, a true hot hatch such as the GTI which honestly doesn't cost much more. It's also just a pleasant space to be in on a daily basis - spacious, ergonomically designed, good visibility, nice interior and materials for the price, etc. The main downsides for me so far are: 1) Having a CVT in a hot hatch / sport hatch really takes away from the driver experience. This little turbocharged engine has a lot of potential for fun to be had (probably fully realized with the 6MT), but most of that potential boost and turbo noise is lost on the CVT which conceals it behind a veil of continuously varying gear ratios and deflates any hopes of cool engine noises during a spirited drive. For example, you take off and the tachometer will just hover at, say, 3000 RPMs while the gears adjust so that you continue accelerating. And yes there are simulated gears with the paddle shifters, but I haven't found this to be an improvement on the automatic shifting function. It makes me wonder what their strategy was, who the target customers are. With the reputation of the Civic and the highly competitive nature of the hot hatch segment, I would have expected Honda to take their offering more seriously, but they were probably seeking a balance between standardizing their transmissions and catering to entry-level enthusiasts who might not be ready for the more pure experience of the GTI, Veloster N, etc. but still have $25,000+ to shell out. I suppose most enthusiasts would gravitate to the manual transmission, thus solving this problem, or pay extra for an Si or Type R. So without either of those two badges, one should expect the Civic Sport to just be a slightly more fun version of the generic Civic, and to be honest, that's mainly why I chose it. It's probably the best balance of a practical but engaging ride in the price range, even if it doesn't live up to its aggressive styling in terms of experience. 2) Even more disappointing to me is the surprisingly rough suspension in the 10th gen Civic. I test drove several trim levels (LX Sedan, Sport Hatch, and EX Hatch) on average roads, each with different wheel sizes but all with the same suspension parts to my understanding. The smaller wheel sizes absorbed a little more of the road vibration, but overall I was surprised by how rough the ride was with all three, even the LX with 16-inch wheels. This is exactly what I was trying to get away from with my previous car as I drive 60 miles per day. The new Civic is almost as bad as my previous car in terms of ride comfort while not nearly as fun! Perhaps I should've explored more of the competition. In any case, I landed with this, and the only thing that makes it bearable is using a seat cushion or bringing a friend to help weigh down the shocks/springs. Despite these two complaints I'm happy with the Civic and I think it's a good choice. As long as I have a steady supply of seat cushions, I think I'll enjoy it for several years and hand it off in good condition to some thrill-seeking youngster.

2 out of 5 stars

The hatchback with style

Amanda Cardona , 01/05/2021
2021 Honda Civic Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This vehicle is a top notch little speed demon. Going from 0 to 60 in 5.8 seconds , you honestly can't go wrong. The drive is very smoothe. The car is very attractive to look at. The trunk is super spacious and you can fit many things back there. The space in the front is a bit smaller than the sedan but, it is a compact car and should be expected. Touch screen features , Push to start and voice control ? Honda hatchback , I love you !

5 out of 5 stars

Better than they used to be!

TC, 01/08/2021
2021 Honda Civic EX 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Low to the ground, takes a little effort to enter and exit.

12345...10