Used 2018 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

Used Accord for Sale
Select your model:
12345...64

Pros
Cons

Luxury car on a budget

Legal Eagle, 11/22/2017
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought a 2018 Honda Accord Touring model only four days ago. I was planning on purchasing a Toyota Camry XSE; however, I could not find any moon roofs in the 4-cylinder model. Then, I decided to test drive the Accord with Touring trim. I bought my Accord only two days later! The Touring trim comes standard with a moon roof and leather, my two wants. The Accord blows away the Camry: the Accord is so much better. My other car is a 2014 Mazda6. At the time it was the best mid-size car on the market and won many awards. The Accord is now a much better car than the Mazda6, including the new ones on dealer lots. (My Mazda 6 has 52,000 trouble free miles on it.) The Accord drives and handles like a luxury car. Once you drive one you will want to buy it!

A good car, but with a few problems...

Mike, 01/12/2018
EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I recently got the EX-L trim in November and am currently leasing. Overall I am happy with this car, but there a few things to consider before looking to purchase or lease this vehicle for yourself. The first thing I want to mention is the seating in the driver’s position. Comparing this to the 2017 Honda Accord, seat width feels slightly reduced because of the center console being slightly larger than the previous generations. It’s also taller from the ground. Being a bigger guy who felt comfortable in the previous generations of the Accord, it’s going to take Drivers like myself some time to properly find their level of comfort with the adjustments provided on the side of the seat. If you can afford the higher trim levels, go for the EX-L for example as the remote adjustments will find that sweet spot of the seat with ease versus pulling and pushing your seat back and forth. I also don’t believe the base LX trim model can have the seats go up and down in height adjustment. Technology wise, there’s a lot to like if you’re tech savvy. When it comes to warnings appearing on the digital driver meter as you’re driving (which you can turn off), Honda Sensing, and working on the touch screen panel, there’s a lot to get wowed by. Thankfully, if you’re not looking to get distracted by all of this, you can turn off most these features. With the way cars are moving technology wise now, this may not be the car for you if you’re not a tech savvy person as I feel the nooks and crannies of this car are surrounded by these features. My biggest complaint is the fuel door. Most cars these days have a lever or mechanism around the Driver’s side or on the floor. In this model, it has been eliminated. In its place is having the door electronically controlled by the unlock door on the Driver’s side or by using the FOB key. I noticed one day when it was cold out that the Gas door wasn’t opening. The door should be opening when either the doors are unlocked, when pressing on the FOB key (twice on the unlock button), or when the car is off. For whatever reason at cold temperatures (possibly 30 degrees and below), it doesn’t allow the sensor to electronically signal the door to unlock. This is a BIG problem; one I would hope with enough complaints considers a recall on the vehicle. It’s also possible that since this care just came out, I happened to have a bad one among the bunch being sold. It’s a bad design choice. I hope in the future models that they will revert to having a manual way of opening the door. Another thing to mention that I had a problem with was the touch screen panel randomly shutting off and rebooting twice. They both happened while I was stationary. The digital driver meter also shut off and rebooted. I took it to my dealer and they had reset the panel. The problem hasn’t occurred since. This car is good overall. There’s even a few more features in the Touring such as air conditioned seats, Wireless charging for Samsung Phones, etc. That I wish I had in the EX-L trim. It drives great, and have found no problems in that regard at all. With the way technology is evolving in cars, I can’t help but think what happens if you end up deciding to finance a car like this and have it after 100,000 miles. We usually think about mechanical problems in cars, but now new issues could arise technology wise that would malfunction and cost a lot more to fix in these vehicles. I think it’s advisable to lease these cars until you eventually decide to keep one to where you know it will be suitable for long term.

Well rounded and quick

Marty, 12/28/2017
Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

This car is a well rounded fun to drive sedan with a light feeling agile package and a potent 2.0t engine and 10 speed transmission that works well and produces strong acceleration. The 10 speed is responsive with generally smart gear selection but can be a little busy with shifting. In general this car feels much faster than my prior 301HP Lexus due to much better mid-range torque. In fact, sometimes power comes on with more impact that you expect and some drive line surging occurs; I find using eco mode produces a smoother overall driving experience with the slower throttle mapping. The dash is an excellent blend of leading edge technology and simplicity that is easy to use on a day to day basis. Take some time to explore the controls and read the manual as there is a bit of complexity and the time invested will help you like the car more. The basic NAV is adequate with some occasional dubious route choices but the system works better than my Lexus unit did and Android play is also available. Search for and enable the tachometer all the time mode for the left instrument then use the center of the gauge for something like mileage or NAV or radio-very nice. The speakers seem a bit cheap sounding especially on FM but the Siris and Bluetooth audio sources do sound better than the FM and speaker break-in after 3-4months did improve the sound a bit. I know it says sub-woofer in rear deck but I can’t hear it. The Bluetooth phone hands free produces better audio on both ends with my Samsung S8 phone than my $54k Lexus did! Further, if using the phone the touch screen is excellent as pressing a touch tones on most hands free systems is nearly impossible, while on this one it is easy. The voice recognition for navigation is 2005 quality and basically worthless for entering addresses. Seat shape and support is good but they are TOO hard(notice dealer parts room accessories have several seat cushion options for sale on the wall!). My son has a Clarity and those Honda seats are much nicer. Notice that like many Japanese cars the passenger seat has no height adjustment which is illogical. Please Honda add a basic manual lift option as the wife or mother in that seat can make no use of the sun visor and they get grumpy! Ride and handling are good but a little mixed. The steering feel with the 19" wheels is quite nice and cornering is pretty flat, but the shocks are under damped as larger undulations in the road allow the car to oscillate too much even in sport mode with some bottoming yet there is still some harshness coming through. Sport mode in city areas is of little value but on a tight mountain road in Yosemite Park I found it to be just plain excellent both handling wise and gear choice wise with grade logic working perfectly to manage speed and great choices coming out of corners(way better than the rear drive GS350 with summer tires!). Road noise is a problem with this car perhaps especially with the 19" wheels. Be sure to drive the car on some different road surfaces to hear it as when tires age they get louder so the test drive is as quiet as it will get. (For reference my prior cars were a 2014 Lexus GS-350 and the large Hyundai Genesis sedan) Mileage has been ok, with city driving at 21.5 (90% city) Long trips at 34+. Overall, this car is a nice package and well implemented. I used the Costco buying service for invoice + $565. For things I’m not happy with: Item one is that the brake feel is really poor and the dealer keeps saying it is normal. This is not correct or logical & the brakes are way too touchy making smooth slowing on a gradual downhill or smoothly coming up to a stop impossible. Honda needs to fix this as the calibration of the drive by wire brakes is terrible. Parking sensors have two significant problems. One is on a daily basis the front sensors go off randomly when stopped in traffic even when there is nothing within 5ft. Second there are NO center front sensors for parking in a garage or parking lots. There are 4 sensors in the back where you already have a nice camera but on the front there are just two for the sides-DUMB! Road noise is too high and I wish they would get more serious on this topic. Hyundai Sonata or Camry are quite a bit quieter. Minor issues: Auto-high beams are silly and really rude for other drivers plus it takes some time to find out how to disable this unusual and very low value feature; the headlights are safety rated poorly so spend the money on better lights. Trunk is flat with no real grocery bag hooks so everything goes flying. Accessory hooks would help, bought the accessory tray but its service is slick and does not help.

Having Trouble

Dave M., 04/03/2018
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

As I look over other reviews I am seeing a pattern. This is my first Honda product and I have to say I am not impressed. I thought for the price the technology packed in my Accord 1.5 Touring CVT was a value. I was mistaken. I have owned it for 5 months and it has been in the shop 5 times for a variety of issues starting with rattles to more serious issues. The latest is a message stating “braking system problem”. I have noticed other owners having the rattling issues and I have gotten the same response from Honda as they got. Take it back in and get it fixed. I also have had problems with the infotainment system not initializing for up to 5 minutes. I have requested a lemon law case be opened to replace the car because the dealership has put 300 miles on the car test driving it and it still isn’t fixed. Now that I see the same issues in other cars I cannot recommend the 2018 Honda Accord until these issues are worked out. I would give it a year for Honda to take action before purchasing one. Update; The Accord continued to give me problems I traded the Accord in for a Mercedes GLC300. It was a long process but Honda did realize the problems and did help me out of it.

10 Generation Forgot the Prior Generations

Tom, 04/19/2018
EX-L w/Navi 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Here are my good and bad impressions of the Honda Accord 2.0 T EXL: Good.. Engine power from the 2.0 T is adequate and runs on regular gas, average MPG so far is around 31MPG. Nice ride from the suspension and soaks up the bumps nicely. Good electronics and driver assist functions. Very smooth shifting 10 speed transmission. Good sight lines around the car. The Bad ... Car has a very low driving position and getting in and out of the car is compromised. Because of the lowered stance of the car it feels to low compared to most other vehicles on the road and hinders forward views. OEM tires by Hankook are one of their least expensive tires with many bad reviews on Tire Rack. Upgraded audio system has cheap sounding speakers. 10 Speed transmission has push button selector instead of shift lever. This is a pain when you need to make speedy k turns or getting out of snow. No courtesy lights in rear doors. Would have bought the Touring trim but was put off by the low profile bling type 19 inch rims that will not last long on the pot hole streets in the Northeast. I suppose Honda is going after a new generation of car buyers with this 10 generation car but this car is less appealing to all the folks who made Honda famous in the past.

12345...64