Used 2012 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

6 Years in and Happy
By Coldwaterite

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this new in 2012. We now have 102,000 miles on it. Out side of normal servicing the only problem we've had is the Key fob broke and had to be replaced. Love it's comfort, love the adjustable back seat, it's easy to get into and out of. Mileage is "great" if we keep under 65 mph we can get over 32 mpg; once you hit 70 mph it drops to 27 mpg; in town it'll drop to 23 mpg. It has served us well and hope to keep it for another 4 years. Like the looks of the new 2018 but it looks like the mileage has dropped off substantially, so why trade down when she's still purring like a kitten. Wish we had the automatic lift gate, that'd be nice now that were getting older.

2012 after 3 years and 80k miles
By Joe

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this V6 model SLT three years ago and drove it over 80k miles. I just this year replaced the tailgate actuator, only because it leaked and I was being proactive. I also replaced a rear wheel hub and the battery, this year. The two tail light assemblies showed a little water in them so I replaced them as well. Other than regular maintenance, tires and brakes that is all this great vehicle has needed. Overall I get 23 - 24 MPG, so it could be better but it is a V6. It shoes not have some of the connectivity of the newer cars, but it has what vehicles in 2012 had available. The seating and interior have held up amazingly well, I see other vehicles with 100k mile street and the seats are cracked and fouled, not these they are just shiny. This has been an amazingly reliable vehicle, even in bad weather here in Ohio the two wheeled drive has worked well.

Nifty little czr
By KM

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Visibility not very good.

Great suv
By TeamMVP

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I owned this suv for about 3 years and was one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. Never once took it to the dealer for any problems other than oil changes and tire rotations. Fuel economy was rather good. The car lacked acceration and the gears were pretty bad going up hills it would always shift into a lower gear going up hills. Economy mode was pretty worthless on it. The inside technology was ok in it. The backup camera and larger center sceeen was fantastic. The on board dash computer provided good info. The worst thing about the technology was not being able to listen to music through Bluetooth. That was a huge miss. The ride was always nice and smoothe and quiet. I towed a 18 ft center console boat with it. And it struggled a bit but I was never worried about it not making it up the boat ramp

Loved it at first
By Mike

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had great fuel mileage, AC ok at best, visibility on passenger side just Ok Around 75.000 started using some oil between changes, by 95.000 using several quarts between changes and mileage dropped off, buy 6 miles per gallon. Dealer told me the oil consumption was normal. Umm no its not. eventually a service bulletin issued and warranty extended to 120,000. Was at 121 and change so not covered. Now at 133,000 timing chain issues, oil consumption issues and blew rear main seal do to PVC system freezing shut. All are VERY well known problems. Oil changes per meter or sooner, 90 % highway miles. Now what to do with it. New engine? Donate it to not for profit? Junk it? Nobody will give me anything for it on trade I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO BUY A USED ONE!!!!!