Used 1997 GMC Suburban Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Suburban for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Dependable Family Vehicle

FLEX, 03/25/2002
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has proven itself; especially if you have a large size family. Whether in hot/cold climate, the surbuban always started and performed above standards. Very roomy, dependable, and stylish.

Knock on wood

Dennis, 11/08/2010
K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have done nothing except for regular maintenance on this vehicle. 1 fuel pump. Two sets of front brakes. 1 water pump. The interstate ride is phenomenal if you can afford the gas. 11 miles to a gallon. 1 tune-up in 10 years. We are overdue. We load it up and go. No thoughts of breakdowns so far. Please Lord, don't let this little bit of bragging jinx me

Doesn't quit

Curt, 12/31/2009
C1500 4dr SUV

My 97 Burb was without a doubt, the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owend. It is currently at 391,500 kms (Yes you read it correctly) and going strong.I live in Canada and use it for hunting, fishing, and in -35 degree celcius weather. I have no worries about turning the key and making another 1500 km trip without notice or time to prep. Aside from changing the Fuel Pump once (common problem), I have not had any major issues with her. There is no rust on it and the interior is still in great shape without cracks in the dash or holes in the seats. Aside from regular maintenace and fluid changes, the only thing that I had to change was the air freshener. It never quits!

Car Eating Me Out of House and Home

fifthavenuegirl, 12/01/2006
K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This car looks really cool but I have only had it a year and it has already cost me $3000 in repair bills. It has been a nightmare and waste of my time waiting in the waiting rooms while it gets fixed. And that doesnt include the $900 for the tires I will have to replace if I keep it. I've only had it a year and bought it with under 100k miles.

Tough & Reliable

JWG, 08/12/2008
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our '97 Suburban new and will probably have it for 3-5 more years. It's been a great vehicle! I'm big on maintenance. Treat the car right and the car will treat you right. Consequently, we've never had a break down or surprise issue.

1997 K1500 Suburban

RTS, 10/02/2008
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Good solid truck for the most part. Two issues in the last 57,000 miles, first it lost the 2-3 clutch pack in the transmission at 121,000 but the previous owner had done a lot of towing. Second I lost a fuel pump at 154,000 miles but that was my own fault for not changing the fuel filter as often as required (filter was pluged). It took me longer to drain the tank than it did to replace the pump, which cost $110. I have a 32' travel trailer and 4 kids and overall this has been a good vehicle. Mileage is poor, but there is a limit to what you can expect from a 5300 pound box.

Unreliable

sandyle03, 06/20/2009
C2500 4dr SUV

I have had my truck for 5 years. Although I haven't had to replace the fuel pump, I am having some electrical issues. The starter is not bad, but sometimes I will drive some place, get out, and get back in the truck...it won't say a sound, no turn over or nothing but everything in the truck still works. I took it to GMC and they refused to dig into the problem because it would not stall there (no wonder they are in bankrupt). They put a $356 wire on it, and it did it again as soon as I stopped to the store leaving. No one would come up the road to help me.(maybe 5 blocks) Great vehicle but the gas cost is killing me! If I can get it to stop stalling, it would be even better!

One of GM's Best

Mike H, 06/24/2009
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck's been in my family for 10 years now, and I just received it from my dad last year around this time. And, at 210,000 miles, it still runs like a dream. This truck's been through hell and back. My older sister destroyed two cars with it, every winter in Michigan, this truck's a toughie. Repairs have been minimal: replaced alternator at 125,000, replaced rear-end at 160,000, one battery, 3 sets of front brakes, distributor cap. The back brakes are the originals that came on the truck 12 years ago, and they still aren't worn through. Essentially, from my experience, it doesn't wanna give up. And, atop all that, I'm still beating the mileage ratings. That old 5.7 is a strong one.

Great Car, Great Value

bw626, 05/07/2010
K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the SLT 4X4 2500 Suburban new. Had all the options. I put 230,000 miles on it, wrecked it, fixed it, and put another 50,000 on it. Never did anything other than routine maintenace and brakes. I sold my Suburban after buying a new truck in 2007 for $3500-with a repaired title and 280,000 miles on it. These cars are reliable, comfortable, have incredible towing capacity, and have great resale value. Had plenty of room for passengers and cargo space. If you can find one of these used, buy it. They are wonderful cars.

gmc suburban

Kirt, 03/15/2004
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Minimul problems. Starter went out at 75K miles due to engine heat.

51050