Used 1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

BEST THING IN MY LIFE!!!! 348,000mi and still runs
By Kristen Ross

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

My 1994 has 348,000 miles on it; still runs like the day it came out! Repairs are cheap and easy, just like GMs should. The truck comes in such extravagant colors unlike no other. The nice thing too is since the cab is so small it heats up so quick in the winter and, if you get stuck the snow the 4WD is perfect! Fun to go off roading with and explore the world, this truck just won't stop. Interior is mint and super easy to maintain since it's so small! When you're sitting alone in it, its wicked roomy and even with a passenger, it only gets a little squished when you bring a third person in the mix. You sit at such a good height and it's just overall the the perfect truck. Bed has lots of room and the truck overall is just amazing! Honestly if you get the chance to drive this truck or purchase one do it.

Best Pickup I've ever owned
By JohnsonLonnie

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Wonderful vehicle there is a reason they discontinued the 4.3 Liter CPI engine. Certain things go out like clockwork but the truck is almost 20 years old now. The thing had over 300k on the engine when some crazy woman ran the truck over while I at a stop in traffic. It folded the bed under the cab area and the frame was bent near double. I walked away from the wreck with a concussion.

The power, I installed a hypertech thermomaster chip in when I first bought it. I could pull my friends pontoon boat no trouble, sadly though it was a pain to stop because the boat out weighed the truck.

The seats! Most uncomfortable things in the world. Drove it on a 14 hour trip after 6 hours your bottom goes to sleep and your hoping for the next stop for gas.

Great all around truck
By don

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 94 Sonoma with a 4.3 tbi engine with 181,000 miles on it and it still gets me around 20 miles to the gallon and runs like a champ. I bought it with 152,000 on it and I've driven it hard as hell and it's held up with no major problems except I threw a clutch once but hey it happens. I couldn't be happier with my truck. It has been such a great truck. I'm sinking almost $10,000 back into it to make it a show truck for me and the family to enjoy for a long time to come

poor performance
By Eric C

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well first off the truck is a overall
good truck, but the performance stinks.
I definatelly recommend the best top of
the line tires for traction. The brake
system in it is awful, and it will skid
or turn sideways very easily. How this
truck hasn't caused more rear end
collisions is a miracle, and but by God
I think it would have. The brakes lock
up and it takes forever to get this
thing to stop, have been told was a
problem with the anti lock braking
system in them back them. I suggest you
use pleny of room for stopping when
driving especially if the road is wet at
all, and be very careful, and never ever
drive on snow, or else you got really
good insurance.

My favorite features are the power windows, the engine is nice also, a little too powerful for such a small, lightweight truck though, is probably a big factor in the handling of the truck, especially at higher speeds, or quicker pickups, don't think the truck handles the force that well.

It definatelly needs a better brake system most importantly. Secondly, a better suspension, for handling, and better tires for handling, and traction.

Great truck for the price
By Josh_

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The first year of the new body style, I
fianlly traded mine in on the last year
or the same body style (2003). My 1994
GMC Sonoma 4x4 had 211,000 miles on it
at the time. Only major repair was a
new alternator at 160,000miles. Blue
Book on these is very underrated.

Reliablity. 211,000miles and it always ran great. With a K&N air cleaner it it almost as quick as my new 2003 ZR-2 Sonoma.