Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

08 single cab work horse 2500hd
By Wayne

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 2dr Regular Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I really can't say anything bad about my 08 single cab 2500 HD GMC Sierra. Reason being is bc I've owned it since brand new, the price was more than reasonable and when I test drove it for the first time it really felt like a truck. Its 6.0 gas with torsion bar front suspension so alittle ruff ride but all good bc its tuff and a ton of power out the whole and beyond. Its ten years later now and I still drive it every day for work and pleasure. Through the years I've put bigger tire,rims,tinted the windows,added stereo and leveled the front end. In ten years I've only had to replace one hub bearing other than I've just changed oil regularly,air filter ,3 batteries and 3 sets of tires and she just keeps going with 185.000miles. Also I've never changed brake pads witch blows my mind with all the towing I do. So to anyone that is thinking about purchasing this particular type of truck as long as it looks in decent shape I would highly recommend it.

Well maintained engine took a crap at 60,000 miles
By Roy A. Surges

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

At 50,000 miles and 6 years old all auto door locks stopped working.
At 60,000 miles lifter rockers failed and damaged cam shaft requiring a complete engine rebuild or replacement.
I maintain my vehicles meticulously and have a toyota with over 300,000 miles on it. This truck is a huge disappointment and I will never buy a GM product again.

By a Toyota! It's worth a few extra bucks.

Had to get rid of it
By woof_breff

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GMC 2500HD is powerful, looks good, and can haul a ton of cargo without a problem. Has a stiff ride and it's a helluva gas guzzler. The interior is somewhat simple and spartan but has nice accents, very roomy. The gas version has a nice roar to it and it would pick up quite fast.

The problem was the engine was too powerful for the tranny. The tranny screwed up a couple of times and we had to move on. I miss it though. That sucker was tough as nails otherwise.

body moulding falling off
By dryan3

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 GMC diesel pickup has 41.000 miles and has been a good truck.
However it will be 5 years old in December, and the body moulding on each side is loose and starting to fall off. The dealer said it is a common problem, but since it is out of warranty they would not fix it.
I went to a body shop, and the person there said it is a common problem with that body style. He said a solution is to remove the moulding and glue and buff out the paint. His estimate was $240.00. I'm disgusted that this problem should occur on a $40,000 vehicle. I see 25 year old cars and trucks with the body moulding still intact. I'm disappointed GMC won't take care of the problem.

The truck does a great job job of pulling our 3 horse gooseneck trailer. I also like the manual mode on the allison transmission.

Use different glue or an alternative method of attaching body moulding.

2008 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L DurmaxW/Allison
By tdust

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck,This truck was used in the oil and gas industry and it has over 188,000 miles that I put on it.The truck has never been put in the shop for any major repairs.just regular service.Avarage 4000 to 5000 miles a month and it never left me on the side of the road.Tows like a beast! Used to pull loads of 7 to 9 thousand pounds over 600 miles @ 70 MPH.In fact I liked the truck so much when we got our new 2011 GMCs I bought this one from the owner.now she is retired but I would'nt hesitate to drive the truck anywhere.

Towing,Hauling,Relialibilty