2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Canyon model:

I wouldn't buy it again
By Roger

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great looking truck but the drive train is AWFUL. The transmission shifts up too quickly and then stays there. If you slow and try to accelerate, it lugs because it is in the wrong gear. GM calls it "normal operation" I call it poor engineering. It upsets me every time I see those "Professional Grade" commercials because I know that they are BS. I filed a lemon law claim in my state and GM wouldn't accept responsibility for the truck's performance. Not worth pursuing on my part. I drove a demo at the dealer and it was exactly the same. That's ok GM. I wonder how many Tacomas this review is going to sell.

Best value for mid size trucks
By Huamin Ji

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have compared all mid size trucks, Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline. Frontier is good value, but out dated design and fuel economy. Don't like the ride of Tacoma, and Ridgeline is too new and sell at MSRP. Finally picked the Canyon, which has best ride and interior modern design, we got Crew Cab, SLE with All Terrain and Bose/NAV/Comfort pkgs. Bought it from Laura Buick GMC before labor day holiday with >7k discount, excellent value! After >200 miles, ~23 mpg highway and 17-18 local, about the advertised mpg. We wish it is easier to get in and out, may consider a running board.

Good Design But Poor GM Support
By Brian

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Beware of GM. This vehicle is OK,. but the dealer and manufacturer support is terrible. I will not purchase another GM product for quite some time if ever again. Transmission is very sluggish. Location of drive selector (2W,4W) is bad. Easy to hit with your knees unless your 4 ft. tall. Muffler sounds like a Toro with a hole in it, but dealer says this is normal. I compared the 2016 Tacoma and 2016 Canyon closely and decided that for my purposes, the Canyon was more comfortable (driver head room and leg room) and used that as my main criteria. On the highway the Canyon is pretty responsive and handles fairly well, but the mileage is substantially lower than stated. My biggest issue is the poor dealer support I got when I had to replace a rear center side glass. Some bonehead tried to break in the truck through the rear slide glass (I guess?... there were no rocks, meteorites, or dead birds present when I returned from grocery shopping, but the center glass was totally knocked out). The response I got was that GM showed the part with a price, but they could not tell me if it was available or not. All third party glass companies said it was only a dealer part. After a week of waiting on the dealer (Ferguson GMC-Tulsa), they still could not tell me when or whether the part would be available. GM needs to have their OEM vendors produce and stock replacement equipment for their vehicles for at least a few years, or until third parties can produce. I cannot get the part from GM or anyone after 7 days. My only options are to replace the entire for $900+ or put a cheap (non defrost solid piece of glass into it). GM SUCKS and I will go back to Jap and German vehicles as much as possible. I currently own 6 vehicles between personal and business and business. You would think that American manufacturers learned their lessons in the 70-80's from Japan, but maybe they just need to be govt. subsidized in order to function at the level of Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Mazda, etc. No mention of "bulletins" by dealer when I purchased it. The transmissions are going to be a big problem in this vehicle... beware. GM will do everything in their power to hide and diffuse the issue... maybe like they did with the 124 deaths related to faulty ignition switches that they knew about and covered up.

Great Truck!
By Jonny See

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this truck for 6 months and I am very happy with my purchase. I use it as my daily driver because it's comfortable, quiet, has decent gas mileage (21mpg), and also has power when I need it. The exterior looks great and the inside has more than enough room for my wife and 2 kids. I've had no major issues with the truck. So far SO good!

Update: 11/15/16... So far SO good!

"Mid-size truck" with big power
By Philip Poemoceah

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Lot's to like about this truck. Comfortable and quiet overall. It has got a lot of towing power and payload capacity with great gas mileage. More city driving than highway but overall 20.7 mpg on regular gas. Good acceleration. Really like the backup camera.

The interior does have a lot of hard plastic so change tends to rattle. The seats feel good and firm on long trips and the road and wind noise level is very good (quiet). The problem is that the steering wheel rattles and the dealer has been instructed not to fix it. This is a problem with both the Canyon and Colorado models and is noted in the GMC technical Document ID: 4089969 dated in February 2015 . Very annoying with the quiet interior. Other small interior problems were fixed by the dealer but this one instructs them to wait until GMC defines a fix. A bad mark on an otherwise nice truck.