Used 1991 Geo Metro Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Turbo metro race ready
By Jarrett

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback LSi 4dr Hatchback

Its a great car stock but can also be upgraded for cheap ive put brembo brake system a turbo and 5 speed tranny with stage 3 clutch and still have the original engine they look small and weak but they can handle way more then u would think i had to upgrade to a chain timing have rims done to it race seats alot better tgen newer cars with all these saftey features to get in the way a very simple engine to work on can lift out with just your hands has alot of work done id never want to sell it. for so cheap it can be made into something people would never exspect very good car

wonderful
By pyewakat

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car from a used car dealer in 1992, and still runs great to this day. Only Major repairs were the fuel filter, cat converter, and fuel jet. Ok the water pump too. Most of those repairs were 10 yrs after purchase. The water pump and fuel jet were within the last year. Still gets 30+ miles to the gallon and purrs like a kitten. Best $7000 investment ever!

the cute design on the side (aqua pinstripes)

needs power steering, not power assist. now comes in 4 cylinders (I only have 3)

WOW... all you need
By Andrew

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. Second car I bought and only car I will need again. I get 50 mpg if I'm gentle. I have beaten on the vehicle a lot and does not want to break. Only magor issue was the rear main seal and it was a ok fix. I have put 30,000 miles on it since I bought it with and done only oil change and main seal. If I could only car I would drive. Vehicle handles better then my Jeep in the winter. The car gets a lot of laughs but when the gas prices reached $4 a gallon I was laughing and people started buying metros for $4000. I will have to say it is not the greatest car by a long shot. But compared to what I put in and got out. I'm very happy. Perfect college car

the whole car

can't find 12" tires. had to up grade to 13", scary one highway

Best MPG
By GeoownerinTexas

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

This is a red 1991 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback 1.0L 3 cyl 5 speed (with a/c). It starts everytime. Parts are CHEAP! It costs VERY little to maintain. It's not a looker, I won't lie, but if you have a long commute, and can live without airbags, and ABS, I would recommend it. I do not feel super safe in this, but with extra caution, I've learned to absorb that fear! I do not reccommend this vehicle for more than 60 miles each way, or more than an hour drive with no traffic each way. It's not the most comfortable and it's very low to the ground. But with an average of 40-44 mpg, you can't go wrong. Shocks are poor. Overall build quality for a car this old is very good. Has 157000 miles.

Gas mileage average 40-44 mpg. Ability to get in and out of tight spaces, and park anywhere! Starts everytime. Cheap to own and maintain, and cheap insurance. This car pays for itself in 6 months vs. owning an suv in a short amount of time.

Bring back a vehicle GM, that is a 1.0 3 cyl 5 speed, that acheives the 40mpg city and 50 mpg highway, at a low low price.

great little buggy
By D. P.

1991 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Great gas mileage, good performance, reliable, cheap to own, can park in small spaces, U-turn in 30 ft. Had problems with fixtures like window crank, radio volume control, minor stuff. Engine and powertrain very reliable, little maintenance. Accelerates quickly, but a bit underpowered on long steep hills.

Lower environmental impact, small size, reliability, performance.

Better attention to reliability of minor fixtures. Mufflers and pipes would rust in a few years (short trips, salted roads here). Slow to heat up in winter.