Used 2003 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

CATCHY TITLE?? ROTTEN TRANSMISSION
By FRANCENE

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our first one the tranny went out about 120000 miles and that was 80 percent highway miles,,,I thought it was just a fluke but now my 2003 Tarus is acting like the tranny is going out on it also, and I bought it brand new and they promised me Ford had fixed any problems previous Tauras had and I kept kept up on everything you need to keep up on oil changes transmission cleaning and new fluids steering all of it, but the transmission gets stuck in park sometimes and just acts like it doesnt want to shift properly,and the steering feels warped,,,not explaining myself very well but im sure people know what I mean. It has 135000 on it, it does sadden me because its a beutiful car still and the engine runs perfect no problems at all except that nasty transmission problem! Maybe ford has finnally fixed that? Sorry about spelling...My daughter had a tarus years ago and her transmision went out too. Do they even make taurus anymore? Im selling mine to a mechanic friend for 100$ sorry Ford but this has been my experience and I believe in telling the truth..Thank you fl

Inherited it, would have bought it!
By John Stroh

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan LX FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Inherited Mom In Law's 2003 Taurus SE 4DSD in 2014 with 98K Miles, 4 years later and another 20K Miles, it has been a wonderful dependable car! Plain Jane car, yes, but very nice exterior style. I am 6'0" and near 400lbs, and this car is actually comfortable!! The 3.0L 12V FFV Vulcan engine is no NASCAR Winner, but is bulletproof with all the original parts, and accelerates this car just fine! The car is one of the most fun to drive cars I ever owned with very nice handling, yet with a sedate comfortable highway ride (Granted, I never had a Mustang). On interstate trips, I had to catch myself doing 80MPH before the Police did! None of the transmission or electrical issues some complain about. Body, paint and interior have held up well, all accessories work. Gas mileage around town (Long Island NY) is not great at 16mpg, but highway mileage on long trips is consistently between 30 and 32mpg Not bad for a 3300lb car. Unfortunately, almost all my driving is around town. Only non- routine repairs have been replacement of ball joints and steering tie rods (Did them myself), but hey, the car is 15 years old!! If you need a cheap reliable, comfy, safe car but still with a little coolness, this car is it!!! Since my 91 Aerostar has 200K Miles, I expect even more from my Taurus!

Fix or Repair Daily Taurus
By mtnbknsam@gmail.com

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bottom line: This car needed a new transmission at barely 80k. The new transmission is even having problems where the mechanic said the 2007 Taurus models have not changed. In other words, the Taurus is a time-bomb of junk. Multiple times the doors electronics have stopped working. Recently the drivers door had to be hard wired in order to roll down the window. The engine has started making noises, too, and the car doesn't have 100k yet. All services have been done to this car where it's now worth less than the transmission cost. The FORD Taurus is a prime example of everything wrong with FORD. Garbage, no parts, building nice looking vehicles not made for the long haul. Expect to start having problems around 60k. It's Toyota from here on out. I highly recommend researching any car, as this one has been a nightmare and by the sounds of it, most of them are.

comfortable, reliable & classy
By Lance L.

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It's a great all-around car with plenty of power. Lots of room inside and trunk space. It's very comfortable, user-friendly with just the right amount of gadgets to not be overwhelming but very functional.

Cheap car, so dont pay more than you need to.
By Megan

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car a little over a year ago with 111,000 miles on it - since then i've put in over 2000$ in repairs (rack and pinion, tires, struts, etc.) Since I bought the car for a good deal (only 1500) I'd say its an okay deal for what i've gotten out of it (two 6+ hour roadtrips) and daily reliable driver. However you can tell the car was made cheaply - parts of my side interior are falling off, buttons wearing down, little things breaking / falling off here and there. The interior is really nice (I have the SEL w/ tinted windows, leather seats, sunroof, 6 CD changer) and spacious as well but I plan on selling this car in fear of the rumored transmission issues.