Used 2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Don't bother with this junker
By Author

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 105,000 miles the transmission is failing. Reverse is broken. The shifter does not shift into gear. My only options are drive and park. Emergency break must be used or else it won't stay put when off. Electric mirrors do not work. Knob for lights falls off. Even though it's garage kept, it can't seem to handle the FL sun for the short duration it's in it. Timing is going bad possibly, so is the engine. Not one single mechanic can explain what is going on with the thing. The guesswork repairs cost more than the car is worth. Routine oil changes & tune ups, etc. No clue what is wrong. One mechanic says it looks like someone tried to steal it and that's why the shifter is broken. DONT EVER BUY A FORD!

This car is a tank!
By Jerrold Lara

2001 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 105000 two years ago and just hit 156000 this week. I have only had minor repair issues come up mainly for the age of the car but it has never left me stranded. I never thought I was going to get this much out of a 15 year old car and it's still running like a champ!

broke and stressed out
By stressedout2

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 ford Taurus s.e.s. model in 2013 with 132 thousand miles-NOW-169 SCARED TO DRIVE THIS CAR......I have spent 6 thousand on repairs.it started every 3 months it needed another repair. now the car last every 3 weeks and another grand to fix it everyone who has worked on this car said you have to take the hole engine out to get to parts or they have to go through the dash.TRYED TO GET ALIGNMENT they could only do front the back is welded together so you cant get a full alignment.always runs hot. I have never had sooo many problems with a car.I see reviews on ford tauarus and it says reliable haha not the ses model.when you see this car run F.o.r.d. found on road dead.A RUST BUCKET

SEATS ARE SOFT SO I CAN WAIT FOR A TOW TRUCK

RECALL ALL S.E.S. MODELS AND START FROM SCRATCH....................................................

Might as well just flush all your money down the toilet
By hawkeye25

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

To be fair, I have heard people say that they've gotten nearly 300k with few problems, but that was not my experience. I bought mine with 105,000, thinking it would be good for a few years. Not long after the transmission failed. When I called the transmission shop asking about my Taurus, the mechanic said, "Which one, I have seven here," so I'm guessing this happens often. In the two years I've owned it it's been in the shop at least once a month. I've spent over twice the purchase price in repairs. I would caution you not to buy this car. A Honda or Toyota with twice the mileage is still a better buy.

Comfortable (which is good cause you'll be sitting in it alot waiting for tow trucks)lots of trunk space, no-brainer layout. The bench seat in the front is great.

Needs a more reliable transmission. Parts are generally low quality and do not last long. Headlights are very dim and difficult to see out of.

Neverending Problems
By toymatrixsc

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this piece of junk Used in '09 with roughly 150K miles because I needed some wheels in a pinch. Tires and battery need replacing every two years which is normal, I think. I've had to replace the water pump twice, fuel pump, and coolant tank since. The plastic coolant tank crudding out seems to be a common complaint I'm reading. It leaks or burns through oil and I've had it checked a couple times. At this point, I am accepting lugging around quarts of oil in my trunk and did I mention the coolant leak yet (have to carry extra coolant, too)? Computer has been replaced. Every start problem imaginable has occured save the alternator.

It's been getting me where I need to go without braking down although I've feared it. Agree with reviewer below, though, and can't wait to chunk this thing in a river and say goodbye to Ford forever. This is my second Taurus and I've also owned a T-bird...all seem to have their own issues and if your not a mechanic, they are not fun to own.

This thing is a ticking time bomb and if I kept it any longer I would anticipate more to go wrong with radiator and the next in line for starting problems would be the alternator. My drive axle and wheel balance are off so, I have to drive this shaky thing into the ground until my next purchase. Repairing that stuff would cost more than what this Taurus is worth. I'm using this space simply to extend my review above, not suggest any improvements. This car is a hopeless case.