Used 2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very good truck
By George Dibble

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Very good truck. I've had this little ranger a little over two years and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small pick up. The only downside is that it's towing capacity is Limited by it's four-cylinder engine.

Easy to work on
By Jason

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My second ranger, bought first one new in 99 and drove it 14 years. This one is AUTO with CC. It was wrecked, but I've had no issues. The 2.3L is pretty pathetic, but I get 25+ mpg. The parts are cheap and it's easy to work on, simple is good. I bought it with 45K in 2010 and put 50K on it. The only thing that broke was the heater/AC fan clicks if not adjusted right after riding on a bumpy road. I've changed front rotors, breaks and bearings, all the shocks and struts, the rear diff fluid, AT fuild and filter, plugs and wires, and flushed radiator. I did cause a steering pump leak by putting radiator flush in it, but they're only 60 bucks. It is VERY easy to work on, I am not a mechanic. I've towed/loaded heavy stuff and ripped up stumps. She will run. It's really small on the inside. Rangers are awesome and reliable.

After the new car glow
By JR

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful to drive when the weather turns ugly, only thing that gives me trouble is sheer ice, with factory tires. With no load it rides rough, with @150 - 250 lbs of cargo it is a much improved ride. At a hair over 6' I have room to move the seat back to give myself more leg to peddle room, but I do not need it. Everything else is too cramped. If I have a passenger we are riding shoulder to shoulder. As a short commuter or weekend play vehicle it is wonderful. SADLY, as a full time ride for me, @350KM/220Mi/week, it is not a good choice. I choose to support Ford. I should have bought a Toyota to get the same qualities but with better comforts at a higher cost.

200+ HP gives a lot of pep, especially with a 5 SPD manual. BRIGHT lights, with no apparent dead zone.

Give the Ranger an F series profile, not a bricks. Increase cabin width @30CM, height @10CM, rear seat area by @30CM with front facing seats. FLEX fuel, remote start, etc as available options, same as the F series. Ranger owners want/need a little smaller vehicle, not one with no options.

Who needs luxory
By Dr. Witt

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love all these people that complain about how the ranger is simple and outdated. Technology means nothing when your vehicle is in the shop because the state of the art traction control system has a computer malfunction. This truck is always reliable because of its simplicity which is reflected in the low price. You can easily spend more money for a Toyota Tacoma but at the end of the day the ranger is more reliable and will get you from a to b for less money. They are also very easy to do self repairs on which also saves money. If you want luxury buy a lexus they cost just about the same as one of those loaded cushy f150s

manual locks, manual windows, manual transmission (just more things that wont break in the future), old school heating and ac controls, sport wheel wells

This is the only truck that still actually feels like a truck if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Best value/most honest pick-up out there
By Kurt

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purposely looked for and purchased a base XL 4WD regular cab pick-up. Mine came from a N.C. dealer who used E-bay as the primary sales tool. My expectations were rather low because of the heavily discounted price and the low equipment level, but I was happily surprised. For such an old design, the basic utility and honesty of this truck really stands out. I'm completely satisfied.

Fabulous heating and a/c system. High quality plant (very few stone chips) No-nonsense styling Just the right size.

Better fuel economy. More power, as well.