Used 1996 Ford Probe Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used Probe for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Nice Little Car…

Don, 12/06/2009
SE 2dr Hatchback

She's a nice little car, but lately she's been trying to nickel-and-dime me like crazy. I've got an oil leak somewhere, warm air is intermittent, the Airbag light intermittently flashes, the left side stereo speakers don't work 99% of the time.

Should I have the water pump replaced?

jahmn, 07/20/2010
GT 2dr Hatchback

This car has been fantastic. Now I have my 1st original part to replace per maintenance - the timing belt at now 60,000 miles. The mechanic suggested doing the water pump also, but there is no indication of wear or imminent failure. A logical suggestion, but are water pumps a problem with this car? I drove it down to the local classic car/hot-rod parade and got waved into it. There were people asking how it could be a Ford (never seen one). They could not believe Ford made such a good looking car. I am the original owner and ordered 5-speed manual, hot-rod red, 16" wide/chrome wheels. It still gets lots of looks. Nothing corners as well as this car - freaks people out.

Turning out to be expensive

Brian, 04/29/2009
GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for 2,500 back in may and have had to spend another 3,000 in repairs. its turning into such a hassle. when it's running good it's a great car. pretty quick, very good handling, but once again not very reliable.

Pretty decent car

er23, 06/27/2008
SE 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Probe SE for two and half years now, and I have loved the car. I have, although, had many problems with repairs. I have spent more money on repairs than I have to buy the car. The exterior has very nice styling other than the SE rims. The interior is very nice and comfortable, and the visibility is perfect. I would say the biggest plus to this car is the handling. It honestly handles like a dream. It is overall a solid car despite the constant repairs.

Best thing I have owned sense my 70 Mav

David Johnson, 07/09/2008
SE 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my SE in Nov 2005 and this car has done nothing short of giving me it's all. I tested it on the highway and it got 37MPG 5speed standard is the only way to go with one of these cars. I have sense then installed a turbo upgrade from a Mazda 626 kit that makes this little car a tiny monster. I am pushing 300HP at the front wheels and still get 30MPG when I drive it like I have some sense. The only car that I have ever owned that came clse to as much fun as this little car is my 1970 Maverick that I put a 1969 302 BOSS in. If you can find one in standard shift it is worth buying for a single person to get around in. Don't have any room in the back seat for anyone older than 7or 8

12345...8