Used 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Consumer Reviews

Mach 1 Premuim 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Mach one for fun
By Chris Taylor

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is a fun car and a fun car to modify. The basic car is a good value, a better ride than the average Mustang of this series and better seats. The handling and acceleration is above average for this series as well. The weak point in handling is the 4 link rear suspension. I have done modifications to improve the performance and the car is even better after those.

Great car
By James C Nase

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I do all my own maintenance, how ever I did get an after market vehicle coverage plan. I can not determine what the oil change schedule is if you only drive your car 6,000 miles a year. Love the car, but not sure if I will keep the coverage plan. I replaced the Trans and rear, trunk lid w/ spoiler, tail lights, radio, rotors, brakes, wheel inserts and some small items. this vehicle was a repo and the last owner stripped and sold some parts. Still looking for a recommended maint schedule for cars over 130,000 miles, driven at 6,000 miles per year. [contact info removed].

Best bang....
By machlover

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned a 2001 V6, 2004 GT and the Mach and there is a world of difference between the v6 and GT but the Mach is in a class of its own when compared to the GT. This includes the extensive upgrades made to the GT compared to a stock Mach. Of the dozens of vehicles I have owned and driven the Mach is by far the best bang for the buck.

I traded in the Gt for the Mach in 2007 and the Mach is paid off and worth more than I paid for it, needless to say this is a rarity in the automobile market but it seems the Mach is still a car that people appreciate. I have upgraded it with just the normal bolt on parts and it performs perfectly.

This is the 1st vehicle I know I will keep indefinitely.

The list of upgrades for the Mach is extensive to include upgraded suspension which gives the car a stiff, aggressive and lowered stance. The decals stand out on all of the colors except the DSG.The small windows between the b and c pillars have a forward slant, the front chin spoiler adds to the aggressive look and the black spoiler finishes the cosmetic look on the outside. The inside includes; adjustable head rests, silver trimming, metal pedals, Mach specific seat covers and bolstered front seats that are extremely comfortable. The magnum wheels and the functional shaker hood scoop give the car it's signature look. The engine has more than enough grunt to keep me happy.

Love the car the way it is. One thing I would change, and have, is the radio/ 6 disc play that comes with the Mach. The Mach should have come with a much better head unit. The 5 speed should have been replaced with the 6 speed found in the cobra though the 5 speed does very well.

Red 2003 Mach 1 Great Value for your Money Still..
By 2004_mustang

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got this 2003 Red Mach 1 automatic in Oct 2005 with 13k miles on it and it now has 31k miles on it in Nov 2011. I have had zero problems with it. I have replaced the original tires and fuel filter as part of maintaince. It drives great especially on tight turns and it stops on a dime.

The seating, wheels, black stripes, tachometer, shaker hood makes this car stand out well plus every Mach 1 is fully loaded so you dont have to worry about options.

Overall this gives you 305hp and the car's value is about 14 grand give or take some which is the best bang for your buck if you want the power of a V8 without a big price tag. The only thing better than this in power is a 2011 GT

Everything. I like the uniqueness of the Mach 1's, the colors alone are just neat to look at plus that shaker hoods makes the car stand out.

The shaker hood rattles due to the rubber peices that hold it together but it is not that big of a deal. I wish they made this car with more options like controls on the steering wheels, chrome rims and or a supercharger. While it is loaded up I just think Ford could have put more options on it. I plan on keeping this car till the 2011 5.0 GT is in the lower 20 grand mark and then I will trade it off. I just wish the specialty cars kept there value more. Hard to believe that back in 2005 this was a 23 grand car and now even at low miles it is a 14 grand car but that is the car business today. I hope Ford remakes this car again just like they did in the 03-04 years.

Mach 1 of a kind
By michaelj723

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'm the second owner of my Mach 1, and I've had it for nearly 6 years with very little trouble.
The only thing I had to do to the engine, was changing out the thermostat housing after it sat in the garage all winter.
Brakes are very expensive, due to its exclusive brake/suspension package, and they were tough for me to change, probably easy for somebody who does brakes a lot.
The only big problem I had with her, was my transmission's overdrive going out twice.
This was due to the 4:10 rear end that the previous owner had in it....luckily it was a warranty repair and only $100 out of my pocket.
Other than that, it's the best handling stang ever made, and blows the doors off z28 and t/a's

Handling, and raw power...super impressive powerband that I've never felt in any other sports/muscle car. Beautiful stock exhaust sound. Extremely reliable. Still get compliments on it almost daily.

Only thing I wish it had, was automatic up/down windows lol