Used 2007 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

The Reason I went to Ford and they went Bankrupt
By T. E. Garrison

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you have the opportunity to buy a 2007 Ford Focus 5 Door Hatchback, do it. Now to expand on this a little, and explain the title, there are literally a million Ford Focuses from the Generation I of the Focus running around the United States, and almost every last one of them looks prettier and is nicer than the hideous monstrosity that followed it in the United States, you see Ford decided that the Europeans deserved a different Focus, they also apparently deserved to keep the Hatchback, thanks to this policy, the 08-11 Focus was essentially costing Ford extra money, something that cost them far more than their buyers when the recession hit. Now about my car, Ford went out with Gen I by making a superb model year, it even in my mind compares favorably in some aspects with the 2012 Focus, for example, the seats are more comfortable, they're easier to slide out of and into, the cushioning is more substantial or at least better distributed and the cars lines in certain areas are ever so slightly smoother. The car on it's own merits has the traditional hatchback arguments going for it, the hatch is decently sized, the interior is roomy for a small car, and despite it having a hatch, the rear window to me seems superior to even large sedans due to it being essentially vertical and giving you a clear rear view. Other pluses for this car come from it being in the small car category, good MPG for it's age, though the EPA folks do like to revise that, the tires aren't huge but not so small a bump in the road would ruin them. On Electronics, this is one area where the Focus showed it's age, on my model for example, the car does not even have a rev counter, only a speedometer, many normal gauges on cars from the period, such as battery voltage are not on this model, but it does come with cruise control on several models which for that year is actually still a plus for the segment and for Ford. The stereo system is ancient and the fact that most of their original owners decided the original stereo was terrible and replaced it, mine for example has a Pioneer Stereo which allows me a USB port or Aux Cable should inform you about a stock stereo. The only serious issue I can have with this car are things well beyond my control, the transmission is a miserable 4 speed automatic transmission, overwhelmed under any reasonable acceleration by an engine with some 30 less horsepower than it's modern descendant from the 2012 Generation of Focuses, the first and third gears are so long you could fit two more in them, which is exactly what Ford did in 2012. The engine is only about 138 horses, or less, it has changed three times since I bought the car, that was in 2014, not terrible, but considering what they could have gotten out of her with only a little trickery with the engine, at least 160 horses, believe it or not that would make a difference. The steering makes me feel like I am in a Formula 1 Car, not a hatchback and is worthy of cars more agile and more powerful, a definite plus for me. That's the car itself, the only other issue is resale value, if you buy this car, keep it, it won't be worth the effort to negotiate giving it to a dealership and if you are a young driver, it's good to have a car around when you buy a new car to keep the miles down on that car. If well kept and not abused, the car will last well into the 150k or 200k mile range. It's more than paid for itself by this point as well.

Great Little Workhorse of a Car
By G.C. Cantor

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My parents purchased this car new in 2007 for about $17,500. I received it from them in February 2013 w/18,400 miles on it. Today it has just under 50,000 miles. I can't say enough good things about it. The interior headroom is excellent as are the sight lines based on the fact that the front seats are mounted on an elevated platform, unlike the newer Focus model, whose seats are mounted very low. I must transport my elderly mother to frequent doctor appointments and she has no difficulty getting in or out of the car. The car accelerates well, particularly on freeway ramps and corners remarkably well for a smaller vehicle. Gas mileage could be a little better, but I probably average 26-27 mpg in city and 30 or so on the highway. Still operating with its original belts and hoses. I particularly love the hatch and the voluminous trunk storage, which has more cubic feet than on many larger models. Some rattles and noises, particularly when the weather is cold, but nothing major. The heated seats are wonderful during the long Ohio winters as are the heated mirrors. In short, a great car for little money.

Not to be overlooked.
By Andrew Parkhurst

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is best understood in context. I bought it new in December of 2006 for around $15k. Hondas and Nissans from 4 years prior were going for $18k. It was an excellent deal for what you get, and I think that too many people dismissed it because it was an older design. Ford introduced the Focus around 2000, but that means by the time they produced the 2007 model year most of the bugs were worked out. Remember this was an award-winning car for many years until it started getting a little long in the tooth.

I have had a few problems in 115k miles, though not as many as I expected. Little things do come up every now and then, but it sure beats having to drive a Corolla. The alternator went out at around 70k, but that is not necessarily Ford's fault. The cruise control stopped working at 60k, simply got a cable replaced and it is as good as new. One problem these cars have is the clockspring (in the steering wheel, works with the airbag system), which had to be replaced at 75k. There was some carbon buildup in the throttle body at around 50k, but that is more because of my short commute at the time and the engine not getting warmed up enough. The radio did stop working a few years ago, so I replaced it with an aftermarket Alpine stereo that sounds a little better, but the stock radio was not bad. Problems are basically electrical in nature, but I have never been stranded and the basic powertrain is simple enough. Simple is good.

The hatchback design is one-of-a-kind, and has actually aged a little better than the sedan. The 5-speed manual has crisp shifts and is well-suited to the 2.0 liter gas engine. It has a fantastically light clutch. 136 hp is not a ton, but it will accelerate just fine and keep up with traffic. The best thing about the Focus is its ride-handling tradeoff. The steering has excellent feel, the ride is never harsh, and it will go right where you point it. Not bad for an economy car. We have a 2013 VW Golf as well. While the Golf is a more mature, heavier feeling car, the Focus is much more playful with no dead spot in the steering and a near perfect driving position. The hatchback is nice to be able to load larger items, has great visibility and the back seat is so much bigger than many of the new compact/midsize cars. The 2012-present Focus is much more cramped inside.

The weakest thing about this car is that it just wasn't screwed together very well on the inside. It rattles, sometimes badly, sometimes not so much, depending on the tire pressure. Sometimes I feel like I have the best car ever--it is quite fun to drive--and sometimes I just want something a little quieter, a little more refined. But then, I get on a back road with the 5-speed and realize that this car is one-of-a-kind and it will be hard to replace when the time eventually comes.

This car had run its course
By Marie

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm driving my dad's old Focus now and hate it. It's not well-made inside and even with a Bluetooth, connectivity is iffy. There is nothing comfortable about it. Now looking for a Mazda or other, newer Ford.

Extremely reliable.
By cdhghs

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus brand new in 2006 for business usage.
I drive an average of 10,000+ miles per month, having the oil change every 3,500 mi.
This car has been nothing but reliable for me and my business needs.
I have always been able to count on it to get me from coast to coast.
Minor wear and tear repairs are to be expected, as with any car.
The most costly repair I've had to get was a new fuel pump in the middle of 2010, and of course tires and brakes.
Other than that at 315,000+mi it's time to trade it in for a new Focus.
Thanks Ford!

Simplistic but not overly simplistic. Great stereo for a entry level car.

None that I can think of.