Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:
12345...65

Pros
Cons

An Often Overlooked Performer

Michael Mo, 05/17/2010
ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The ST is really a hidden gem in the Focus family. With 151 hp it's not exactly a "hot hatch" like the SVT but it's no slouch either. It's very well designed; I'm six feet tall and I have enough head/leg room, more than in some mid size cars. The front buckets are very comfortable and five years on it's been a model of reliability. In heavy city driving mileage has been about 22, not too bad given the car never feels short on power above 3000 rpm. The dash is pretty cheap, the lack of rear headrests annoys and one can't call this a quiet car. Every time I drive something else though I always miss my Focus's driving position and driver connectivity. For me that's worth the ST's minor faults.

Fifi

djd7241, 04/12/2011
ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I named her Fifi. It's short for Felicia Ford Focus. For a car that I am so often complimenting, she needed a name. Pushing 77000 miles and my only only problem EVER was an air bag light that came on and was fixed under warranty. I've gone through a couple sets of tires though. It's a respectable looking car but nothing exciting. It's a little louder than some other cars out there, but nothing unbearable. It's got some serious pep and corners amazingly. Took a 1200 mile trip this past may, cruise set at 90-95, A/C on full blast and pretty much everything I own in the back seat and trunk, I still got close to 29mpg. It may not seem great, but I was sure impressed. Great Auto Trans.

Great college car

no noburt, 08/20/2015
ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Im in college. I was gifted this car. It was the bare bones model. It had an engine and tranny with the stock radio. The manual windows and locks were annoying but they worked. I replaced the radio and drove from 88K to 120K until i was rear ended and totaled. It gave me 0 mechanical problems. It ran and had A/C. It was great. It looked like shit(due to previous owner) but it got me everywhere with no problems. It was loud when going 80 on the turnpike but I didnt care. I had a radio to listen to. My passengers dealt with the the rear seats so I cant vouch for them. Comfortable, fun, great steering, great brakes, good mpg, good on tires. Would buy again

not bad so far

Craig, 01/05/2010
ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

Electrical system sucks

Terry, 01/08/2016
ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used. The battery light came on intermittently. The dome lights and signals would go on for no reason in the middle of the night. I went through 3 batteries in less than 5 years. The electrical issues became worse as time progressed. It was determined that the "cluster" was bad. There was an unidentifiable drain on the battery that got to the point that a brand new battery was burnt out in a matter of months. When a new battery was installed, the car was dead the next morning. Getting rid of the ghost in the electrical system would be a costly repair -- more than the car is worth. My mechanic found that these cars are notorious for electrical/cluster problems.

12345...65