Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable Vehicle For its Class
By John

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Focus Wagon used with just over 60,000 miles in June 2011 when the car was about 8 years old. In the 7 years I have owned the car I have added 120,000 miles for a total of just over 180,000 miles on the original equipment. Given my propensity for clocking what many would call excessive miles per year, it is only understandable I have had a higher maintenance cost. For example, in October 2015, I changed the timing belt at just under 120K. In less than 2-1/2 years I added another 60K, or a little over 26K per year. For me, that's easy. Where I live, everything is a long-distance commute. I don't know what the previous owner did to the vehicle; I bought it as-is and immediately had necessary but normal maintenance items performed. Other than regular oil changes, fuel filters, air filter, struts and an alternator -- all normal wear and tear items - I have experienced no unexpected hard part failures. The original engine and transmission have served well over the last 7 years, though at 180K the engine has sprung a leak. Having previously lived in a climate with extremes of cold and hot temps, I am not surprised that the motor mounts have begun to crack, increasing engine vibration. To be honest, there are some things about this car I do not like, chiefly poor fuel economy (compared to yesteryear's Japanese imports), poor sound insulation from road noise, the front-end turn signal lights are too much in the center, and an instrumentation cluster that does not provide any useful and preventative information concerning the vehicles day-by-day condition. Also, it's acceleration is not as quick as I would like, but for a vehicle in its class, I think it does well enough. But this is an economy car, not an F-18 fighter jet, and while I may yet wish for many gauges and a Heads-Up-Display with Infrared to see through snow, I am aware of the reality that you get what you pay for; with that in mind, I like my Focus. In fact, I like the wagon so much so, I am willing to repair my oil leak not by fixing the leak itself ($2k) and leaving the old engine and transmission in place, but by pro-actively installing a brand new OEM engine, remanufactured transmission, cross-members, struts, hub assemblies, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, new wires, and a few other items for $12K -- rather than scrap the car and buy someone else's problem. Some people, I am certain, will think I am certifiably insane. Did I mention I like my wagon?

Run the other way
By melanie moore

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This by far is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. It seems like every time I turn around something needs to be done repair wise. And it just broke 100,000 miles on it.

My Focus is my best friend.
By Marie

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for 15 months. Purchased it with 275.900 miles on it. I knew I was only going to be using it around town but I actually have used it for longer distances. So far I replaced motor mount , put new front brakes and 2 new front tires. She runs and drives like a champ.

Ford
By Ash Harrin

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Its a good car but when it breaks its something big.

fun to drive
By Shane Paradis

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

fun to drive, just be sure to buy the one with the ztec engine. the spi is slow and unreliable