Used 2012 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Flexy
By Emullrt

2012 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford Flex in 2012 with 150 miles on it basically out of the box. 257000 miles later I just put brakes on it. I have literally done nothing but change the oil every 4000 miles and this car just continues to run excellent! Depending on how fast I go out on the highway it's close to 25 miles per gallon. It's roomy and you can instantly convert it to 7 passengers and there all regular seats not a bench seat. It has a big nice smooth ride and it handles great and when I need power I just put it down on the floor and it flat gets up and goes! It's excellent in towing and I can pull the biggest trailers with no problem whatsoever! I love the sync system in it which is very easy to integrate your phone to the system. It sits lower than an SUV but higher than a car which makes it easy to get in and out of the car. This Flex was by far the best purchase I've ever made in a vehicle!

Family Flex
By Texasmomma

2012 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the perfect family car. Low to the ground like a minivan, but interior space of a larger SUV. Third row seats that fold away make for easy changes for cargo or extra passengers.

Best car I've ever had for real
By JW

2012 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a fam of 5, we live at 9000 ft on top of a mountain in Colorado with switchbacks an heavy winters, I commute 30 min each way to work and live on a very tight budget. I have had over a dozen vehicles in the last 15 years, as I seem to have the devils luck in cars. This Flex has been my lifesaver. Regular maintenance, the occasional windshield replacement (living in The Rockies does that), and switching 20"rain tires for 18" snow tires has been my only costs in 2 years, purchased used at 98k, now has almost 150k (we road trip a lot too). Plus we have the EcoBoost which has saved our lives countless times living on the hwy and gas mileage is pretty dang decent.

$3,000 repair for a 2012 with 70 thousand miles
By dan

2012 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The engine completely blew on the car and had to be replaced, at a cost of $13,000. The car still had $18,000 left on the loan and was blue booked at about $21,000. Ford dealer said that since I was late on an oil change (by about 4 thousand miles), that caused the failure. They said when they went to drain the oil, it was thick and black and that is what caused the engine to fail. I said BS, the engine, in the process of failing, CAUSED the oil to become black and thick, because there is NO WAY that missing one oil change by only a few thousand miles can cause anything close to that kind of damage.
Bottom line: I paid for the new engine then DUMPED (sold) the POS as fast as I could.
I have had great experiences with Ford trucks going back to the 90's. I think this may have been simply a LEMON, but the dealer didn't give a crap.
Believe it or not, I replaced the Flex with a 2015 F150 with ecoboost engine ... we'll see how this goes.
The AWD transfer case (part of the transmission) fails on these cars! Cost $1,600 (with labor, the part is about $1000) to replace it ... that is IF they don't find other issues due to RUST on the parts that have to be removed to replace the transfer case. In my case: the right side control arm had to be replaced because they could not get the ball joint to release, so the ball joint got ruined in the process AND since Ford in its quest to save FORD money has front control arms with the ball joints built in and not replaceable means that bottom line: ball joint (a $20 part) fails, you end up buying a $200 control arm and paying $100 in labor to change it. So now we are at $1,900. Next is the passenger side turbo charger .. it is located forward and low on the engine and has no protective covering or anything to protect it from the elements, so it RUSTS - badly! It has to be disconnected to replace the transfer case. The mounting flange and bolts rust so bad that they break when attempting to remove. Now we are buying a new turbo charger at $586 plus $560 in labor! So NOW, the cost of replacing this transfer case is a whopping $3,046!! My advice: if your Flex is going over 60,000 miles GET RID OF IT!!

2012 Flex with 55k miles
By Browder.ba@gmail.com

2012 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the car for one year, the only reason we bought it was because my wife and I had twins. Well 55k miles into the car and only 4 years old and the rack and pinion has to be replaced. Its not covered under the powertrain warrant so my wife and I are out $1k. Thanks Ford POS. Ill never buy one again. The car wasnt cheap to start as its a limited. Ive NEVER owned a car that has needed a major repair like this that had less than100k miles.