Used 2016 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Another Great Explorer
By don

2016 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We love our 2016 Explorer. This is our 3rd Explorer. Our 2006 Explorer was extremely reliable and required very little maintenance. We favor Explorers for two main reasons: it has a good towing capacity (5000lbs) and it easily carries or 2 kayaks when we put all the rear seats down. We use it to tow our 19 foot boat. We like the newer features of the 2016 such as the rear camera, bluetooth, synch, and touchsreen controls for entertainment and climate controls. It is very roomy (can seat 7 passengers) when we need to take more members of the family with us. It has always performed well in winter driving. It is a very comfortable car to ride in and has a great safety rating. It also has a lot of space to take skiing equipment in the winter time.

Why I'm Breaking up with Ford
By LJ003

2016 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle new. Not only does the hood of this vehicle already show corrosion (and it's been garage kept), the paint is also flaking off in that area. Of course it's not covered under warranty. I also had the keyless entry go bad on the driver's side panel and the battery needed to be replaced (again not covered under warranty since I was over 36,000 miles). I'm already beginning to have transmission issues with it and can't help but feel there will be some small print somewhere as to why that's not covered. I can't decide if I should dump this vehicle now or just keep it until it falls apart... which by the looks of it, may not be too long. For a vehicle that is two years old, this is just unacceptable. After this, I'm DONE with Ford.

Great Vehicle but horrible seats
By Marcus

2016 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

On paper this SUV This has everything you could want, the performance is good, the road holding and handling is amazing, it inspires confidence and looks good in a discreet way. However there are two major failings that mean we cannot wait to get rid of it. The Infotainment Navigation system is awful outdated and slow, virtually useless. And the main issue, the front seats are too short, they are hard, and no matter what position I adjust them to, they give me terrible aches and pains after only a few minutes driving. Previously I had a Chevy Equinox, 2013. That car had the best seats I have ever encountered, you could drive for 8 hours in that Chevy and never feel any discomfort. The Ford is a disaster, feels like they have totally compromised front seat comfort, and note that the middle row is also tight on space. All this in order to fit 2 barely usable jump seats in the back. This is a company Vehicle and is intended to be used for long road trips all over the US and Canada. I have covered 60 000 miles in 2 years and honestly cannot wait to be out of it. Wherever practical now I rent a vehicle or fly on business trips. I have driven everything from a Toyota Sienna to a Dodge Challenger and never come across another with such discomfort and pain. This is a pity, otherwise it rides and handles great, the steering and suspension inspire great confidence, it has been 100% reliable and not required any repairs. I cannot stress enough, that you need to really make sure you can get comfortable, the other comfort issue is the left footrest is at a strange angle and contributes to the aches and pains in my legs. I am 6'3 and 200 lbs so tall but by no means a giant, my wife, who's much smaller also hates the seats and finds herself getting numb and achy on all but the shortest trips.

Never again
By Kim

2016 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did a lot of research before buying our 2016 Ford Explorer and sadly it is NOT worth it!! I love the concept of it but it has barely been two years and we've had so many little problems with it! It currently has 40k miles on it and I want to be done with it. Within the first 5k miles, the controls for the radio stopped working. Since then, exhaust fumes come into the car when the heat is on, the side view mirrors stick, the driver side memory seating stopped working, the hands-free power lift gate doesn't work, and the 2nd row seats get stuck when they get folded. Oh, not to mention, quite impossible to access the 3rd row seats when you have carseats. I am so disappointed in our purchase. Ford has such terrible customer service that I can't believe anyone buys their product anymore. They also messed up our alignment and ruined our tires before the 20k mark. Never again will we buy another Ford product. I really wanted to love my SUV but it is just too much of a headache and burden than fun.

Solid SUV
By Misha Kitto

2016 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this vehicle after some very intensive comparison shopping. We found that the Ford Explorer best matched our family needs in terms of size, value and performance.