Used 2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love it EXCEPT for 2 HUGE Issues that r a Headache
By Peter Crosetti

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

There are 2 HUGE issues w the 2011 - 2013 Explorers that FORD will not accept responsibility for: (1) The front hood rusts along the entire seam that started at under 36 months (30K miles) & FORD will not assume responsibility for under the new car 60 month rust through warranty. (2) The sunroof / moonroof drain(s) need to be cleaned by the dealer (Cost $150 per event) or else there is a massive leak into the passenger side floor whenever there is a rainstorm. The dealer has been unable to define a recommended time interval so I've had it done every 2nd oil change or 6000 miles. When I forgot we had a goldfish pond in the front and rear passenger compartment.

Lots of safety features - Great family SUV!
By SASC

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Rich set of safety features! Comfortable ride! Surprisingly reliable!

Ford exploder limited
By Larry

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since purchasing I've had buyer's remorse. Really love and hate this car. If you had to get into this car in an emergency.... the perp would get you ladies. Always changing batteries in remote with problems on the temp of my hands opening the doors. If remote goes; so does your car. If you tow it; the driver will drag your tires and help ruin your car. Note; the center console has a forward box in it for your remote to unlock the trans. Also, the lights at night are not real bright and you may end up running over a kid. The space for the driver is very cramped for big people. I suspect, because the foot is so close to brake and gas; that when applying brake; some people also push gas lunging the vehicle and hitting objects or people. Car has a lot of plastic for that cheap feel. Though the leather seats are boss. Forget many other tire options because there are none. I almost slid off a mountain one winter due to their suck tires. The door handle fell off and my door wouldn't latch. It is held together by about an 1/8 inch of plastic. Which leads me to believe; they wanted to sell a 25 cents piece of plastic for a hundred bucks later in it's life cycle. The air conditioner exploded on a 1o minute ride at 90 degrees. Also cost me money on the deductible. The front right axil ate itself; so this is a problem. But I put in better neoprene bushings and raised the front end about 3/4 of an inch; so this was not covered... even though many others have had the same issue. The phone link is terrible; and when I said no to the company reading all my emails. It bricked my phone by disabling the microphone. Couldn't even walk away from the car; as it was still in reach until I got about 20 feet away. The radio electronics is a real piece of tripe. On a very tame country road; the slight twisting off the vehicle; would scramble the radio like someone was pushing the buttons. Forget about off road also; because this vehicle can not handle it; unless you want your car to age 20 years overnight. Forget towing; most will not want to hook up a tow package; and GM has worked with tow rentals; to not rent to you. If they can keep you away long enough on towing; they sell more vehicles before you find you bought a piece of tripe. The ford dealer that sold me the plat warranty has been a real loser. They will find any reason at all to not warrant repair work on anothers dime. Murray Ford in DuBois is a real loser. I assure you; they will go under in time. The door skin is very thin; the paint job is very expensive. Scratch you door and it will cost a grand to repaint. The plastic interior is very cheap. But looks good enough for initial sale. My 2005 Impala will run circles around this car in every area. So that is very sad. It is faster and looks nicer; so there you go. Now to my opinions. The brakes are lacking for this vehicle weight. Towing is lacking. Electronics are lacking. Interior trim is lacking. Headlights are unsat. Electronic locks are unsat. Alarm may be unsat; I'll let you know if someone breaks into the vehicle. Tires are unsat. Radio is unsat as a control pnt. I've spent 50k on this vehicle. It's worth about 35k new in my humble opinion. GM is alway looking for ways to rob it's clients... and pay it's unions and boards. Lest I mention; this thing is a roving spy. So if you're a future troublemaker; don't get this SUV. They can track you; spy on you.. locate and stop your car and unlock it most likely. They can immobilize your car. Which is why uncle sam loves this company. Pack it full of stuff that works against you; and make you pay the higher cost. Next time I buy a car; I'll buy a foreign car after research. GM and Ford are out at all costs. You can't change the stripes on these behemoths. Though they will likely convince you otherwise. I worked to hard for my money to deal with such losses again. Hope this helps tether all the great reviews; for those that are in love with that new car review thing.

Body quality issues
By Bill H.

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I would have given the SUV an easy 4, great comfort, quiet ride, etc. The reason for my 2 star rating is an exterior body issue of the Aluminum HOOD that ford is aware. Local body shops and a Ford Dealer Body Shop Manager stated that Ford has issued a bulletin regarding the Aluminum Hood and the corrosion problem causing paint to peel off the inside and outside of the hood. I bought the Explorer new, garage kept, always maintained. The paint on my hood is flaking off and this should not happen... Do your own careful research.

Explorer Limited
By JAMES WEAVER

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car is well worth what it cost. It is a very comfortable automobile on a road trip. Handles great and preforms great. From the seats to the electronics it is a pleasure to drive.