Used 2012 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

BAD BRAKES
By brake feeder

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is a 4-5 star except it eats brakes. The caliper pistons stick and won't fully release the pads and this in turn burns up pads and rotors every 5000-7000 miles. Warranties on parts cover some of this , but labor and incidentals are costly. Local Ford dealership missed the problem first time and just replaced pads. Local good mechanic diagnosed it correctly ,but cannot stop it from reoccurring. Just had it done again $330 this time( was $900 last time) and now familiar intermittent squeak in returning , signaling the same problem in 6-8 weeks. HELP anybody?

Problem after problem
By Josh Schwartz

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Interior of car started falling apart at about 40k miles. Stitching on arm rest came apart and then separated. “Leather” seats are of poor quality and tore early. Back up camera also went out around 40k. At 70k had to replace transmission at a cost of $4500. A week later had to replace engine mounts which 2 out of 3 broke and was causing severe vibrations. Cost $550. Will never buy another Ford.

Comfortable, Dependable SUV
By JSell

2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

With 5 years and 45k miles on the car, I still have not ever had to do anything other than recalls/oil changes. This car cost me more upfront, but has been infinitely more reliable than my old Cadillac. This car rides great on long road trips and around town. Gets about 20 in town and 24 going 85 mph. Only downside of this car is that people drive slow when you're behind them because they think you're a cop.

H B
By Howard bragg

2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the best to me out the bunch. It should be a extended version like the flex.

A Handsome Hauler
By Kelly

2012 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Let's say you are an outdoors type or a family type, either way you need something to haul your gear or your people or both. This truck, I like calling it a truck - it's not a car, and "SUV" sounds silly, carries your stuff in style. I sigh every time I look at my Ex. It's just so good looking! It hauls my husband, two dogs, camping gear, luggage, a bike on the back, and a small kayak on top. I keep the third-row seats lowered for more room in the cargo area. I love knowing I can raise the lift gate and easily load my gear or groceries into the cargo space. The front and back seats are comfortable. People in the back like having access to their own heating and cooling controls. Other than that, my Explorer has basic controls but I'm okay with that because it kept the price low when I bought it used. Besides, I do not want nor need navigation, bluetooth, or the MyFord touch. The truck's auxiliary ports are sufficient for playing my music through my phone. I fill up the tank once a week for my daily trips to work and back. I drive 250 miles a week plus local driving on the weekends. My only concerns are the whistling noise around the windshield at high speeds and sometimes the engine refuses to go faster than 80 miles per hour though that might be the result of a safety feature - and really who needs to go faster than 80 mph.