Used 2008 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Explorer for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Great vehicle all around

Jerry, 07/29/2018
Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer. First was XLT, this one Eddie Bauer. It going on 11 years old with 86000 miles. The only thing I had to do to the vehicle was brakes, front bushings and tires. Around town I get 14.5-15 mpg, no matter how I drive it. I love it and am ready to buy a new ooe, however I am concerned it would not be as good as the one I have. Interior and paint are in excellent condition. Rides performs and looks exceptional. I love it.

software problems

classy chic, 02/03/2010
XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

So I just bought my 2008 ford explorer last friday, january 30, 2010. When I come to a complete stop it the car jerks. Sometimes when I am at 70mph or higher it jerks also. I talk to ford about it and they said that the software in the transmission needs to be re-programmed. I have a 3 yr warranty, but it is still very inconvenient to have to already take the suv back to get something fixed and I just bought it. After reading the reviews and hearing about all the radiator problems, I guess I better prepare myself for this pretty soon. Ford should be more wise on the certain parts they put on vehicles, because when you have so many other people with similar problems, that's a big problem!!

4.5 out of 5 stars

Great Vehicle

Chuck W, 08/05/2008
Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second SUV. I’ve owned it for 8 months now and had no problems with it. It’s fun to drive and has a great view. The cargo area is huge. The V8 has plenty of power, which I use to tow a boat. It has a truck like ride. It’s handles very predictably, and excellent in the snow. I really like all of the safety features.

3.75 out of 5 stars

Used 2008 explorer

Freddy , 03/30/2009
XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 explorer 17 days ago. This is my 6th Explorer since 91. The 2008 model year is nicely styled, although personally I like the 05 much better - much classier look opposed to the chrome bars and round gauges. At first I hated the center mounted shift knob but my hand rests on it when using the arm rest, so its actually comfortable. Like others have said, interior parts are cheap. Overall I like Explorers, but this 08 has had a number of issues. In 17 days of ownership (bought with 16,200 mi on it) a speaker died, a part in the catalytic converter system failed and needed to be replaced, and the no cap gas cap filler neck had to be replaced due to improper sealing.

2.63 out of 5 stars

C'mon man!

John, 04/26/2010
Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The transmission is crappy in first gear. Big clunk when coming to a complete stop. Pretty much have to stand on the brakes. No info about automatic door opener in standard manual. Interior is lame, no place comfortable for the knees. Biggest right side blind spot on the planet, and no vision through the rear view mirror when the video screen is down.

12345...8