Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 364 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Nope.....
By Jeff B

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

You wont be 'Exploring' anywhere in this vehicle when your transmission goes....and it will,granted it does have 155 thousand miles on the odometer....It begins when you try to shift from 'park' into any other gear and your shift lever doesnt budge unless you use a small amount of force.Secondly,traveling down the road in first gear and the transmission doesnt want to shift into 2nd gear until around 4,000 rpms(at random) or more...but thats an occassional thing that will eventually worsen over time.Also,no Transmission dipstick to check your fluid level so unless your handy you'll be taking a drive to your nearest mechanic to be put up on a hoist.......i decided to purchase this vehicle because i put on over 200,000 miles on a 2000 model Explorer with absolutely no problems.So,in conclusion would i recommend a 2004 Ford Explorer to anyone?my answer would be "Sure,if you have any extra money in the Bank just laying around so you can spend it on expensive repair costs.

Good car
By Christopher

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love mine had it for 2 years haven't had a lot of problems and its going on 220000 miles with original transmission and engine. I hate the way the transmission is made

Don't Do It....
By Lewis

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This model has had several major problems with engines and transmissions. My vehicle has had 2 engines and 2 transmission after internal factory parts broke with less than 60,000 and 80,000 miles respectively. The timing chain in engine is multiples. If they break (and they will) the engine must be removed to replace them. Add that to the cost and you might as well buy a new engine.

Bought used, can't wait to get rid of it
By Walter

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the SUV used. It was good for the first couple of years. Gas mileage is poor, but that was expected. But once things started breaking, it seemed like a never ending cycle of constantly fixing things. Particularly with the electrical system. Back up warning sensors, broke. Stereo, broke. Climate control, broke. Rear tailgate, broke. Water is leaking in from somewhere. The battery drains fast if not drivin often. The only positives I like about it is that it's a very comfortable ride, and the 6 cylinder provides plenty of power.

I bought a 2004 Ford Explorer NBx flex fuel 4.0
By Rachel white

2004 Ford Explorer SUV NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Explorer this is the third Explorer I have bought and all three have had a little engine noise but all three of them have never left me stranded except for a few flat tires I have replaced the belt pulleys on this one and air compressor pulley and seemed to quite down the engine noise a bit my last was a1999 and it made motor noise for the three years I had it but never affected the preformance at all seems to be same with this one I have made a few repairs to all three of them but nothing real major fuel pump on the 2000 and 1999 models . But this 2004 seems great to me. I love the feeling of the way it handles on freeway I feel very safe .but in my 1999 I was afraid of the way it was all over the freeway but this 2004 I feel so safe in it . The four wheel drive works great I do think I will be replacing the wheel barring soon . Other than that I think it's doing ok so far