Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

Used Explorer for Sale
Select your model:
12345...77

Pros
Cons

2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8

carguy03, 07/10/2011

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

still going strong 2016

coloradobell1, 10/22/2014
XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Still going stronger after 5years. Take in to dealerships for yearly maintenance, tire rotations.No problems.. like the saying says" You take care of your baby, your baby will take of you"!

Excellent SUV for family travel

skarland, 09/24/2012

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.

184,000 miles and doing GREAT

benzcrazy1, 10/17/2014

Have owned this car since 2004. Bought with 45k miles, have right at 184k miles on it now and is still driven daily. It has never left me stranded. Decent gas mileage for an older SUV, keep it serviced at the Ford dealership and have had to put the usual front hubs and upper contol arms on it, which they are known for but aside from that, just routine maintenance. Great looking, relaible and reasonable cost to own!

The Blue Coach

Honest review guy, 10/05/2015
XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the 02 in 04 with 17k on it. It is now 2015 and I have 110,000 miles on it. I have had a couple of recalls that were fixed, but didn't seem too serious. I have always changed the oil at about 5k intervals and it still runs smooth and great. In Oct. 2014< i had to have the transmission rebuilt. The problem occurred suddenly: Please do research about this because there is too much to say. Ford needs to works on this and hopefully they have for newer models. And it was 3,000 bucks to rebuild it at a Ford dealership. I still lack confidence in the fact that this problem will arrive in the future out of nowhere. I must mention that there was at least a 3 month waiting list for a new transmission if that gives the answer away for this vehicle. I just hope that I will get another 100,00 miles from the rebuilt transmission. The interior is just fine, comfortable, and fairly rugged. I must admit that I really love this vehicle because it drives so well and does excellent in the Colorado snow. If I go to 200,00 miles without any tranny problems I would say that this was the best bag for the buck. And I plan to do just that if I can. Overall, though, this is a great Four wheel drive vehicle that's been very reliable in every way except for the transmission issue.

12345...77