Used 1997 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer
12345...31

97 Ford Explorer EB AWD

alg115, 09/04/2011

Truck is a beast. Yea it does suck gas but if you drive like a normal person, you'll be fine. Pushing 265000k; truck is still on the road. No leaks little rust, but very reliable. SAfe for the kids and easy to drive. This is one of my favorite style of trucks; has alot of room inside while disguising it on the outside. doing little cosmetics to eventually sell, already have 3 buyers...lol...at 265K..Love this Truck. AG

Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD

matchgrade, 07/29/2013

I bought my explorer for $1000 for my first car in august of 2012 with 154,000 on it. Let me tell you this is a badass truck with a lot of power. I drove it pretty hard, commuting back and forth to school every day for a semester doin about 70 miles a day offroading some weekends and going up to the mountains in west virginia, and using it as a utility vehicle this spring for my landscaping business. Not the most reliable but it was 15 years old, replaced camshaft position sensor, cat flange gasket, alternator, radiator blew and overheated engine and made #4 cylinder thereafter but hell engines made today would be toast after overheating. Recommend getting owner records before buying

Our Best Vehicle Ever

rlc1997, 10/29/2009

We have had our '97 Explorer XLT AWD V8 since new and it's now 12 years old and has 169,000 miles. This is by far the longest we ever have kept a car both in terms of time as well as miles driven. This truck just keeps on going. We use it every day from mundane things like commuting to/from work to bigger things like camping vacations, driving trips and trailering loads. No major repairs in its history - just the usual things like battery, brakes, and tires.

1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer

mseinfeld, 06/30/2002

This has been the worst purchase I have ever made. The quality on this truck is terrible! I have averaged $200-$300 per month in repairs not including normal wear and tear items tires and brakes. Nothing has ever been cover and both Ford and the dealership have refused to help in any way. I cannot stress enough how poor the quality is of this vehicle. I cannot wait to get rid of it and I will never buy a Ford product again.

Rock Hard

explorersaurus, 12/07/2012

My dad bought me a 1997 Ford explorer about 6 months ago. Pretty much my only gripe with it is the poor fuel economy. Other than that, it's fantastic. I have an XLT with the V8 and AWD. I am yet to have used the AWD in the snow, but the V8 has supple power and (for a truck) smooth power delivery. The driver and passenger seat is comfy. Overall, a great purchase.

12345...31