Used 1991 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

CLASSIC 1991 FORD EXPLORER 4WD 5 SPEED
By AL Smith

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I'VE OWNED MY 1991 SINCE 1991. One of the first off the Assembly Line. BEST VEHICLE I'VE EVER OWNED. 230,000 on original engine and running great. Drivetrain manufactured in Germany in 1990, Normal maintenance. Original spark plugs on the engine. Tranny rebuilt @ 190,000. AC upgrade.

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4
By Andy

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle in February of 2016 from an estate. It was my first Ford product. It had very low miles but had sat for a number of years. In the past 3 years I did replace a lot of parts on it leaving very few parts original on it. It hasn't left me stranded though. I've had people tell me these can see 250,000 miles but rust will be a problem with it soon considering where we live at in the rust belt. I've had full size suv's before but it's amazing how well this small Explorer can haul anything.

d@#m good truck
By gary

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

great truck no problems. all most 400000 miles on it and going strong never had any work done to it. i bought this suv as a beater car just to hold me over but it wont quit. i drive it ever day use it to tow my boat and trailer i even towed a friends chev pickup 1 hour to his house!

head room

a bit of a bumpy ride. the drivers seat cushion needs replacing at 380,000miles.^_^lol

Good Enough
By 73Elsinore

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 135,000 miles on it and it now has over 220,000. It is still going strong and is completely reliable. Mine has the 5- speed manual. Besides normal maintenance items (brakes, clutch, tires, etc.) I have had to replace both cylinder heads (they cracked - a very common known defect in this particular Ford engine) and the A/C condenser ($450). Besides that, no other repairs. I have off-roaded it many times and it has always done well. It doesn't have much pickup off the line at all. Mileage is crappy, at 14 city/20 hwy. With the new heads, it does not use a drop of oil, which is unusual at this mileage, so the bottom end of the engine is bulletproof.

Good interior fit and finish. Still looks great after 18 years and no busted parts, like on a GM or Asian car.

Improve the horrible cylinder head design. Brakes stink.

Best car ever
By fordforlife

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know raves about a 91 might not seem relevant to newer model purchasers, but I wanted to weigh in on the quality of Ford trucks. My family has never owned another brand. I'm the original owner of this Explorer, it has over 210,000 (hard) miles on it, and the alternator -- which went out last winter -- is the only major thing I've ever had to replace/fix on it. The power windows are starting to malfunction, but the ac/heater works fine, so I compensate. I want a new car, because I'm starting to hesitate to take this one on long road trips (still 4x in it though), but feel duty bound to run it into the ground first. I might actually cry when I have to let it go.

4WD. Reliability. Size -- back before Ford started making the Explorer huge for no reason. Fun to drive. Big enough for dogs and friends and tons of gear. Comfy seats. Can even sleep comfortably in it if need be (leaky tents, etc.)

none. best car ever.