Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Power back window, locking and folding factory tonneau, rear seat that holds adults comfortably for long distances, exterior appearance.

Poor standard stereo/speakers, cheap/hard plastic interior, no rear assist handles, leather steering wheel and trim around radio controls flake/scar easily--generally the interior is pretty cheap for a not-so-cheap vehicle.

Great Truck!
By David Brasefield

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is fantastic! Nice looking also. 4 wheel drive works great, especially in New England snow. Ride is pretty good for a truck. V-6 is very smooth but V-8 would be nicer. Very versatile. Full 4 doors and backseat, along with the truck bed, make this very versatile. Make sure you get tonneau cover. You can haul stuff from the grocery store, home/garden center, then take 4/5 friends out to dinner. Interior is well laid out but same as Ford Ranger. A little narrow for larger folks. I'm 6'4". Plenty of leg room with seat all the way back and adjustable steering column. This truck has been extremely reliable. Not a single mechanical problem. Only the cheap sunglass holder broke. Highly recommend!

Great looks. Versatility (4 doors, full back seat, pick up bed). Tonneau cover, lined bed, rear window auto up/down. Reliability. Gas mileage isn't bad for truck. Smooth V-6.

More engine power (V-8). Wider interior. (I believe 2006/2007 redesign addresses this). Independent rear suspension.

Love my Sport Trac
By Lance

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Sport Trac for three years now and have to say that it is one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I've buried it to the axles, had a front end collision (w/o airbag deployment), pulled a 3,500 boat thousands of miles and it runs today like the day I bought it. I love the styling and functionality as well. I can take it on a date to the philharmonic or to the local nursery and load it up with plants in the backseat and mulch in the bed.

The styling, functionality and reliability.

Rear independent suspension, more stability (less roll) and a bit more power.

It's just what I wanted
By david

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience with Ford Sport Trac has been one of the best experiences I have had in my life. I drive it often, even on trips. I have had no problems other than normal maintenance. It is what I needed. Living in the country area I needed 4X4, wanted no carpet and be able to carry my grandkids. It does it all, and since I am retired I just have small jobs for the yard and such and the bed it just perfect, you don't have to worry about the bed scratches and the tie down would allow you to carry a lot more than you think. My wife loves it and has no problem getting to and back from work in the snow, and we can go out in the field with no problems.

4 door. 4X4. No carpet. Has all the comforts. Great reliability. Good gas mileage for a 4X4 and uses regular gas.

I replaced the shocks and tires. The original shocks and tires were not what I wanted in the ride. Now I have more comfort along with no loss of control or ability to get through snow or mud.

Kevin's Sport Trac
By Kevin

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years, I have not had any mechanical problems, just routine maintenance. It has fairly comfortable seats, but could use a little more power.

Auto headlights, auto door locking feature,DC outlet in the bed, integrated bed liner,dash displays.

More power, more torque.