Used 1998 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

GREAT buy!!!!!! Very dependable!!!!
By martinkelly

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This vehicle is 19 years old with over 200,000 miles on it and it still runs like a beast. I have never been broke down not once. Husband decided to get me a mini van and use the expedition for work and doesn't check fluid which drives me crazy considering I come from a mechanic background. Not two weeks ago he left for work and ended up back home twenty minutes later saying it wasn't acting right. I checked the oil and the water and both were ran dry...I was furious!!! Any other motor would have blown but not this one!!!! I filled up the water and oil just to see what was going on with it and found that after 200,000 plus miles the water pump had finally gone out and the PCV valve needed to be replaced. I should be replacing a motor but instead I am spending 50 bucks to replace pump and PCV valve and I might add this is a simple fix. The inside in very spacious which is why we bought it in the first place. The fact that it is so dependable and still runs strong is why we haven't replaced it. I love this SUV!!!! The fuel is not what you would expect from a SUV this size. Everyone who has ever road tripped with us couldn't believe how far we could actually get on a tank of gas. I highly recommend this vehicle if you are looking for something used.

Expedition Expeditions
By Steve Abeyta

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Gas mileage is terrible but roominess and cargo carrying/towing capability make up for sucking down the petrol! I'm the 2nd owner, having purchased it preowned and having 35,000 miles on it. I have performed all of my maintenance and repair work for the last 15 years and My Expy has been very good to me. I am at about 160,000 miles and have been cross country about 8 times with it and it has never left me stranded with the exception of right after purchasing it, I ran it out of gas! My fault but always keep the tank half full and you'll do ok! Change oil every 3,000 miles and do the maintenance schedule and it will last a long time.

Typical American car - does not hold up
By Thomas Fong

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Poor gas mileage and does not hold up as well as a foreign made Japanese or European vehicle. Ford did not support vehicle for spare parts beyond 10 years. So I donated the car last year to a charity for a tax write-off.

98_Exp
By Great 98 EB

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this in 2005 with 134,000 miles on it. I now have 299,200 miles on it now. The usual things replaced on a 5.4 like COP's starter, alternator and shift activator. Body and interior in top condition. It hasn't spit any plugs out as I've heard on other cases. It's a 98 EB Pacific Green with tan interior. I put a satellite radio in it, custom grill and grill in the bumper. custom 17 inch wheels. I believe this is one vehicle that was built on a good day.
No one believes it has that many miles on it. I own other vehicles, but this is one I drive the most.

Take it from a truck lover, this SUV is off the charts for ford
By thebbc

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I brought a 1998 5.4L Eddie with 102,000 miles in Nov 2004. It's now Jan 2013 with 190,00 and this dam thing runs like its on steriods. Just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip with ease. Only problem in 9 years of ownership was an altenator replaced because I helped try to start someone's bmw and it damaged the unit. I look forward to another 75,000 miles (knock on wood) before I even consider sending it to the local car sales lot for retirement.

"All wheel drive" function, leather seats, engine is solid. Trans will pull a tank. Air sup is out of this world.

Nothing