Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great Buy For The $$$$$
By Sunshine

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This SUV was a great vehicle for my daughter especially in the snow. It's been very reliable for the 2yrs she has owned it. The drive shaft is very sensitive when shifting especially in the snow.

Escaping the gas pump!
By Daniel Romans

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My last 2006 Escape Hypbid I had for several years with no issues until I hit a Cow Elk at 60 mph. I bought this one to replace it. This one has more electronic features and so far seems to be even better in the mileage department. It is the most economical SUV I've heard of. I get over 30mph average mileage, nice looking inside and out, easy to drive. My previous one four wheel drive did real well in deep snow as well as plowed snow and slush, I'm expecting no less from this one.

Update.
My "new" 2006 Escape Hybrid has been a major blessing for my wife and me. It does great in the snow and the mileage is great for an SUV. We are forced to drive over not so maintained rural roads in all kinds of weather and it handles just fine. Bought a "Yakima" clam shell carrier for the top and replaced the original tires with Michelins. Gas mileage went down only about two mpg, so still very happy with the vehicle.

Brake system failure. 5-7k to repair brakes
By Tim Fitzgerald

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this 2006 ford escape hybrid with 67k miles. Thought it was a great investment for my family and the economy. The joke was on me. On my way to work one morning my dashboard lights alerted me of a brake system failure and had to roll into a snowbank to stop. I have the car towed and expect a modest repair bill of $1000 or less, we are talking about brakes. To my surprise I was quoted $5000-$7000 to repair the brake system. The bulk of the cost is in the hydraulic charging unit, quoted to me at $4500. $1000 for a new master cylinder and $1095 to bleed the brakes. We are now up to $6500 with out labor costs. With labor looking at 7-8k. How can Ford justify a repair of brakes to cost $7-8k??? Have contacted ford several times with no answers or assistance. They apologize and tell me there is nothing they can do. Ironically they changed the brake system in 2007 model, I wonder why??? Talk about Ford satisfaction. Stay away from these vehicles they have done nothing but drain my bank account.

Tim Fitzgerald
Swampscott Ma 01907
boomer328@comcast.net

Decent car, expected better fuel economy
By Brenda Lunger

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The best car purchase I have ever made!!!!
By Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reluctantly purchased my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid in 2011 with 134000 miles!!!! Got it for 4000 dollars on eBay.... Immediately after purchasing I had to replace the hybrid battery cooling fan. Very simple to do, ordered from Amazon and did it myself in about 30 mins. Now, in 2015, I have 234289 miles and the only money I've ever put into the car was for routine maintenance. It's amazing! I have never owned a vehicle that was so easily kept. I consistently get about 27-28 mpg in the city with either heat or air in most of the time and I get about 24-25mpg on the beltway(I speed like crazy, so that's incredible mileage per gallon to me). The engine is quiet, the ride is smooth and for the first time since I started buying cars, I feel like I totally got my monies worth out of a vehicle! 4000 dollars for over 100000 miles and she still keeps going.
I do think I'll need a wheel bearing replaced, which means I'll do them all at once, but I cannot say enough about the build quality and performance of these hybrids. To be able to drive an suv and get close to 30mpg while still being able to sit up high and grab lumber from The Home Depot without renting a truck... It's amazing!
I wanted to write this as soon as I hit 100k miles and before I go and spend money on the wheel bearings(which I could let ride for a bit, but why would I do that? She deserves to be kept up).
I'm currently searching for another since I'm giving this one to my newly licensed son. Lol

So to anyone it there that can get their hands on one of these, get it!!! Take it home, check it over and baby it because you'll likely own it for a long, long time.