2017 FIAT 500X SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500X model:

Not bad for the money-it’s great! Dr Tasso Pappas.
By Dr Tasso Pappas

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Trekking 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

We had the pleasure of moving to a metro area. We’ve had many suburbans in Tahoe’s and larger SUVs. Including Jeep grand Cherokee’s. We love those vehicles. But I love the fear. In one of the worst blizzards I’ve seen in the Midwest the Fiat 500 X handled better than anything else I’ve ever driven except a Subaru outback. The interstate was closed 20 minutes after I went down at passing vehicle safely. I’ve never felt more solid in the vehicle. It’s like a cute jellybean with all wheel drive. The front seats are incredibly comfortable and luxurious. However, there’s minimal legroom in the Backseat. The finish is nice and the steering wheel is incredibly comfortable. The motor is a little week for acceleration but does the job in the city. It’s it’s much higher than you think. Compared to its sibling the jeep renegade it’s a much more luxurious and cute car with greater personality. The ride is better due to the difference in suspensions. Because usually get about five to $7000 off the sticker price it’s a great value. I’ll buy another one again once they offer adaptive cruise control

not too bad for the price
By Robert Caswell

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Pop 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

bought our car dec’17 . had 35 miles on it . the thing drives like a dream . we had a historic snow storm here and this little car , which i did not think would do as good . i was going past full size 4wd trucks and suv’s like nothing . it was a tank .

now roughly 9 months later has about 5700 miles now . had the car into the dealer roughly 5 x for key fob problems . replaced fobs and later entire system and have done others things to make it work proper . still have problems bit kinda gave up on it . the button pads on steering wheel are pretty loose . have little problems here and there but getting fixed .

the ride is great . very smooth on virtually any type road . steering is responsive . cannot mash the gas and expect to get moving quick . yes it does have a bit of engine and tranny noises but this is expected as well for this class of car .

seats are actually not bad . stiff but cushy at same time . back seat is big enough for a hundred pound dog . and she loves it . good amount of cargo room . if you look at the car it seems small but really it is bigger on the inside .

milage is about 22mpg around 29mpg hiway .

for the price of our fiat it is pretty good overall . the big problems are the electronics . the style is real nice inside and outside . if i was asked to get another fiat , well about 50/50 .

my wife loves it . we are in the city . which is great . it is zippy and that is great for city driving .

Had the car about a year, already very disappointe
By Dissappointed

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Lounge 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Decided to lease the vehicle in December of 2016, the car had engine lights come on and had to be towed within 24hrs of getting it home, I was told there was a bad sensor in my side view mirror. About 2 months later, I was driving with my kids on the highway and a “drive mode unavailable” warning came on. I was left stranded on the highway with 2 small children in a new car. They came and towed it, I never got a clear answer for the problem. I told them to check the transmission, which they said was “fine”. They returned the car to me with the warning light off over a week later with the transmission worse than ever. It is not fine, the jerking that occurs from the stop position to first gear is horrible, it is like driving in a manual trasmission car with someone learning how to shift. I have a neck injury, and some days driving this car is like torture. I have owned other Chrysler family vehicles in the past with no issues, I never dreamed I would be this disappointed. I travel for work and drive rental cars three weeks a month, and I don’t see this problem with other manufacturers. Also, don’t expect help from ANY other dealerships in the Chrysler family of you are having troubles, they like to defer you to only Fiat dealerships which are few and far between.

Best Car I've Ever Owned....
By JT

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Lounge 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I've been extremely happy with this car. Ride is excellent. Quite and smooth. Great gas mileage!!! Great power!!! Fantastic Handling!!! I feel like I'm driving a sports car. I'm glad the computer has a setting to notify you regarding your speed. I have mine set for 10 miles above the limit and it is always notifying me as you don't realize how fast you are going. You can't feel it shifting except when you first start out as it is a little hesitant. The interior rivals cars that are much costlier. The materials used and fit and finish are excellent. My biggest gripe is Fiat needs to market this car through their Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler dealers and service them their as well or at worst case scenario require Alfa/Maserati dealers to service at least under warranty. I live in a fairly large metropolitan city and I have to drive 60 to 75 miles to the closet dealer for warranty work. I only wish I drove more but I work out of my house......

Well made, enjoyable to drive
By Ron Lakes

2017 FIAT 500X SUV Trekking 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

My wife and I really love our 500X. It's our second Fiat (we continue to own a 2014 500L). Needless to say, if we've bought a second one, then we must be pretty pleased with our first one (we are!). We purchased our 500X with all the bells and whistles (AWD, safety suite (lane departure warning, lane keep assist, auto emergency braking, back up camera and park assist), leather interior). Our 500X feels very solid over bumps, dips and road imperfections, no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. The 9 Speed transmission is often criticized, but for the most part we're fine with it. It tries to get up into the tallest gear as soon as it can when in normal (when mode selector is in default "Auto" mode). I wish it had a 4th mode where it still wanted to shift up to as high a gear as possible for fuel economy, but was more willing to downshift without having to really stop on the accelerator (as is the case in the "Auto" mode)- a mode somewhere between "Auto" and "Sport". The 3rd mode is "Traction+", which has you pulling away from a stop in 2nd rather than 1st, plus it engages AWD regardless of whether a wheel is slipping or not, as well as a less aggressive accelerator pedal programming. So far no problems, though our 500L has become my commuter car so the 500X doesn't get driven so much. The suspension provides for a very good ride on the whole, though I'd say I slightly prefer the ride of our 500L a bit (it's wheel base is nearly 2 inches longer, and the lower ground clearance makes for a little bit less bouncy-ness due to less suspension travel). The fuel economy could be better- I hope FCA is working on a direct injection version of the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, or perhaps a new engine entirely. Personally I think the 1.4 liter turbo is the superior engine, but to opt for that in the 500X requires that you accept shifting your own gears via 6 speed manual transmission. I will say the 2.4 liter does well enough in suburban driving, especially if you're lucky on the signal lights, as I've seen better than 35 mpg on occasion. I notice that sales figures have the Jeep Renegade outselling the 500X by about 10:1, but I much prefer the X over the Jeep- how it looks and how it drives, even though they are on essentially the same platform. Finally, the 2018's will have Apple Car Play and Android Auto with FCA's latest Uconnect entertainment suite.