2016 FIAT 500X SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 FIAT 500X SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500X model:

Love it so far
By Jeff Douglas

2016 FIAT 500X SUV Trekking 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Got a great offer on a lease with the 500X and I'm glad we took advantage of it. So far with a couple highway trips and a lot of downtown driving we are very hoppy with the car. The only complaint I can come up with is the way the trim levels are structured, but between the nice interior that is way more subtle and stylish than it's Jeep counterpart, the ease of driving, and the driving position in the vehicle we are very satisfied.

I traded my Miata for this!
By John

2016 FIAT 500X SUV Trekking Plus 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Due to some unknown injury I came down with severe sciatica in my left leg and hip. My doctor said it was probably exaserbated by twisting in and out of my low to the ground 2013 Mazda MX5. So I was on the hunt for something that was easy to get into. By far, and I have owned 25 cars now in my lifetime as a 55-year-old man, the Fiat 500 X is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Plus after even after having Mercedes and BMWs I find it's electronics , infotainment system and build quality, superior. Fiat is right up there with Mazda in their top-of-the-line cars giving consumers the most bang for the buck you can possibly get for under 30,000. Even a stripper Fiat comes with creature comfort's that you don't see another cars like fully automatic headlamps. Such a minor thing but a nicety none the less . My Fiat 500 X Trekking Plus is top-of-the-line and is only missing one option , the all-wheel-drive feature and the only reason I don't have it is because it's next to impossible to get in Florida for some reason. None of the dealers are ordering it. But never mind, my car comforts me with the heated seats ,the leather, cornering lamps (by the way the cornering lambs are amazing, like personal luxury cars of yesteryear) the dual pane panoramic sunroof, Beats stereo , navigation, back up cam, crash sonar, ...omg the list goes on...it's gonna probably take me two weeks to figure out how to operate every single feature this car has. And with all the geegaws comes a glass smooth ride with none of that herky-jerky transmission stuff that other people talk about, and the solid feel that you get when you shut a BMW door..that wonderful muffled thunk. Plus, my dealer extends the warranty to 10 years 100'000 miles ! I think that Fiat is undervalued and this car is a game changer for the Fiat brand in America.
I want to address some of the bad reviews this car gets. In reading them, I find the people who write negative comments about the cars transmission, hesitation, etc are probably bad drivers, or have expectations that could not be met by a crossover. In owning my car and having driven several others in its class , the Fiat 500x offers the best value. For instance , the 500x Trekking Plus has a power seat, the Mazda CX3 doesn't. It's not available. The CX3 gets praise from auto journalists, but it's based on the old Mazda 2 which was a dog and sold poorly. So much for objectivity, the Mazda 2 has been dropped. . Also ,to write a review based on simply driving a rental, should not be alllowed! Rental cars get beat to Hades and back. The 500x takes getting used to. I had to learn how the electric parking brake works, it's not the most intuitive thing. But the 500x truly is a fun, well built rig.

Feel very happy about this purchase!
By Raymond

2016 FIAT 500X SUV Trekking 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

The 500x wasn't my first choice. After carefully reading all the reviews about all the cars, I was torn between the Subaru Crosstrek and the 500x. It wasn't until I went for a test drive that pushed me over the edge. Sitting inside the 500x felt solid, comfortable, designed, and well thought out. Sitting inside the Crosstrek felt cheap and unrefined. This is with regards to the interior design. The drivability of the Subaru Crosstrek admittedly felt better. The gear system on the Subaru was smoother and lighter. Suspension felt supple. The 500x I test drove was a bit stiff, steering felt tight, but didn't hear the exaggerated loud cabin everyone complained about. I also didn't sense the jerky transmission. Perhaps it had been reprogrammed already. I purchased the car in Sep. 2016 and those issues have been addressed. My previous cars have been a 1998 VW Jetta, 2003 Audi A4, 2006 Honda Element, and most recently the 2013 Fiat 500e. I chose the 500x due to the extra incentive for being a return Fiat customer. Plus, the rebate, plus the dealer discount for end-of-year sale. The savings added up and it became a no-brainer to go with the 500x. The reviews had been so bad, that I really felt I made a compromise for the money saved. But so far, things have been great and all the claims had been unfounded. I find the handling of the 500x to be amazing. After I drop the kids off at school I take a longer drive through the hills of Los Gatos because the car is so fun to drive. I have also driven up steep hills and pushed the limits around corners and have yet to feel out of control. The acceleration is average, not as responsive as the electric 500e or the Audi 1.8T. I suppose that's comparing apples to oranges. I sat in the back of both Crosstrek and 500x and the differences were unnoticeable. They were both pretty snug with just enough leg room for somebody 5'8". I do think that the 500x has a smaller trunk than the Crosstrek. Long story short, I don't feel I compromised just to get the better price. Side by side, if the prices were the same for the Crosstrek and the 500x, I'd still choose the 500x. It just has more personality and much nicer to look at. We'll have to see what the long term reliability holds up. But I'm comforted with a 48k/ 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.

X Marks the Spot!
By MG Brown

2016 FIAT 500X SUV Lounge 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Let me start by stating that this is my 4th FIAT purchase consecutively. I have owned 3 cabrio 500's including the Abarth! In my opinion, you don't purchase a FIAT because it's more dependable than a Honda or because it has a better resale value than a Toyota. FIAT ownership is about discernment for a stylish automobile. It's about passion. Driving with pride of ownership -- as opposed to those who buy a car to get them "from point 'A' to point 'B'". The FIAT 500x is a vehicle that you WANT to drive. I wait anxiously for the end of my work day so I can get to the reward... driving my Italian automobile.

So Far So Good
By adam keziah

2016 FIAT 500X SUV Easy 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Only had our 500X AWD for a month, but it seems to handle the curves in the mountains of NC/TN very well. Also the AWD seems to handle the rain better than our FWD Corolla. Notice some reviews complain on the shifting, my experience switch to "sport" when you know you need more responsive shifting. Works for us. Not really comfortable front seats but for a compact SUV I can live with it. Only real complaint is the factory navigation and trying to find an update for it online. Google maps very up to date but would like NAV to be updated so I can leave phone alone totally and use factory hands free. Look forward to this fall/winter to see how the AWD holds up.