Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

$950 - $1,998

Used Ram Pickup 1500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Nice, fast, simple truck!

Thommy B., 06/15/2010

Just got this black and silver 1997 dodge ram ss/t. I always have been a fan of dodge, but this has to be one of the nicest trucks out there especially with as many years it has. The throttle is still very responsive, and it's tight like a new truck. A big 5.9 liter engine is plenty of power to haul this baby around. May be somewhat tiny but don't be so certain you can run over it in your huge trucks on lifts. The napoleon affect.

Never get stranded again

Jake Ramey, 01/02/2016
LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I love my Ram. I've always heard people complain of death wobble or trans problems and I've honestly not had any of those. Truck has 327k miles on it. She just keeps on trucking. The seats are the most comfortable ones I've ever had the pleasure of sitting on. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but it's a truck.

Dependable Plow Truck

Pete, 06/08/2008

Bought my truck from a friend with 30,00 miles on it. Had a 8' western snow plow on it. I put my 7 1/2' western on it. Been an incredible truck. Plowed snow with it every year since I bought it. Every one always says Dodge Transmissions were junk, but mine went strong. Rebuilt it in Feb. of '06 with 128,000 miles on it (not bad considering what snow plowing can do to a truck). Still has original alternator in it. My snow plow's hydraulics are powered by the battery (electric). My dodge now has 150,00 miles on it and is still a great truck. Wish it were a crew cab. Single cab w/ 6' box. Short Wheel base makes plowing very nice though. But now have 2 kids and no room for the whole family.

Best, Most Dependable Truck I have Ever Owned!

Darren, 06/12/2016
SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1997 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 in the fall of 1996. It currently has 224,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. The only things I have ever had to repair/replace is the usual stuff...alternator, fan belt, u-joints, thermostat, etc... in addition to the routine maintenance and servicing. I have had to do no major engine or transmission work, although I did lose my 4 wheel drive and cruise control due to the plastic vacuum lines eventually rotting and cracking. Got the 4 wheel drive working again, but still no cruise control which I'm ok with since I rarely ever used it anyway. The truck has never stranded me or failed to start. Ever. Performance wise, its not the quickest off the line in terms of raw power but its no slouch either. And it tows whatever I need with effortless ease. Roomy and comfortable with excellent visibility and responsive steering. I don't know if its because I own a short bed or because its a solid axle or whatever, but the turn radius on this truck is unbelievably short. This truck "corners like its on rails", as they say. The ONLY negatives I can say about this truck...the cup holders are terrible!

Good Truck

roperanger, 03/04/2002

I bought the truck brand new and have 66000 miles on the truck. It has been very dependable, rides good, and has not caused any problems to date. The gas mileage is not good at all, but I supposse you sacrifice that when you buy a truck that is four wheel drive

Exelent Truck

damando, 09/26/2011

I bought my truck new in 1997 and have had it ever since. Very dependable , Pulls a bayliner dual axle boat trailer with no problems. Have done most of repairs myself. After 14 yrs I only have to drop the tranny and rebuild it. I am very proud of this truck and if I can afford it I will buy another.

Still Smoking

jimi, 08/01/2008

Bought the truck new 'cause I fell in love with it. Happy to say I still am 124K miles later The truck is still the benchmark for styling and has performed almost flawlessly. The exception being the brakes, which was fixed with a higher quality pad. It has towed my boat or my camper for about half of those miles. It still runs like brand new and delivers 17 mpg at 75-80 on the freeway. With platinum plugs and 8 mm wires. Very happy and will probably never let it go.

Runs like a champ!

urbancowboy0307, 04/15/2010

I love this truck. I got if from my Grandfather after he passed a couple years ago, had 35K on it now has 78K. Nothing big has gone yet. replaced shocks (70K on them!), steering pump (65K on it) Truck is getting me 17.8 MPG in town. Starts everyday no matter the weather, nice smooth ride. I've got the 5.2 L which could use just a tad more power to really move, but I don't do much towing so it's fine for me.

97 dodge 1500

dodge owner, 01/10/2018
WS 2dr Regular Cab LB

318 engine (5.2) is a good engine, and most of the hardware is fine,, the ride is definitely truck, and gas mileage is foot controlled,a/c was good, heater so,so,headlights were not that good, otherwise, it was a good truck, which i sold in 2017,

The Turd

fishrman, 09/01/2010

This lemon is currently in the weeds behind our shed. (Waiting for scrap value to go up). We replaced the transmission twice, plus spent about 6000 on misc repairs and countless breakdowns in the two years it was actually on the road. It was purchased used, so its condition could have been due to prior mistreatment. However, I will NEVER buy a Dodge again. Ever. What a money pit.

51050