Used 1997 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Keeps on Goin'!
By RedneckDixie87

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I love it its 2008 and I don't want a new car although we are having some problems with it now which is expected it is 11 years old but it gets up to speed fast and drives great. It's comfortable is roomy and with gas at $4 a gallon its great on gas! Haven't had to replace much only thing is the paint especially the green ones like mine i see have the rust spots.

Interior, Engine

Cup holders shouldn't be so low. Improve the paint you use for the exterior

My Green Machine
By sharonda

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

The Neon was my first car. It's a terrific first car. It was easy to drive, handled well, spacious, great on gas, and cute. It is also very fun to drive considering it's a manual. It only had minor problems like turn signal doesn't turn off and door squeaks a little. At only 65,000 miles, it drove like new. I can't complain but only wish it was more powered: power windows, locks and steering. Also I would love a CD player over the cassette any day.

Manual and roomy

CD player. Power windows, locks, and steering

Expensive brand new, but OK overall
By Kayla

1997 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I'm the original owner and this is the first car that did not have a lot of problems at all. Had the car for 10 years and plan to keep it for my son. Yes, the doors with no frame are a little disappointing. They leak a bit when raining and it's noisy when driving, but overall the car has been doing OK. I just had some regular jobs done on it. Recently put a new engine, but hey, it's been 10 years! The paint is still in great condition, I have the hunter green. My 16 year old son likes it and looks forward to having it for himself, and this is a manual car!

Pretty powerful for the size. The paint is still great looking, comfortable and roomy even sitting in the back seat.

Definitely needs framed doors and the back windows need to roll down a bit more that just 1/4 of the way.

Sweet
By Christi3435

1997 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

Awesome car! Especially when swapped with a 2.4L! The SOHC engine that was in it was virtually indestructible. Interior was a little plain and goofy, but you can swap any year neon (including the SRT-4) seats into it.

The power and ease of working on it. Handling is great and very responsive.

Suspension could be a little stiffer to prevent body roll, and the windows needed frames.

The paint chipped Neon
By Billy

1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Well originally my father bought this car for himself and it had 140,000 miles on it from the dealer. It was in good shape one paint chip on the right side of the car behind the driver side door. The car never seemed to give to much trouble, a blown head gasket and a transmission leak were two very big problems, other then that the car has run fine and been dependable. When I got it as my first car it became a bit of a nightmare, with 166,000 miles and almost no paint left with an oil leak and a fried electrical system I couldn't expect much though being that it was worn out and my father gave it almost little to no service at all I'd say it had a good run as a fun sporty car.

Roomy interior, easy to drive, strong air conditioner and heater.

The exterior paint, the interior design, the quality of the electrical system and the slow engine.