Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Jalopy
By Family Guy

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Side skirts fell off driver and passenger seat. Washer fluid nozzles physicaly blasted off hood. Tail gate interior light falls out when lifted. Seat belt buckle stopped working. This is supposed to be a dependable family vehicle, which it is not.

Great utility vehicle
By Al

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

With 4 drivers in the household, we needed another car to replace our aging 2002 Caravan when it finally gave up the ghost. Even though our kids are grown and we no longer need the extra seating, we had a great experience with our 2002 and I have gotten spoiled by the utility and cargo space of a minivan, so we opted for another Caravan. We got lucky and found a great low mileage car that was exceptionally clean for a reasonable price. While, as my daughters remind me, its not the most stylish vehicle on the road, it is totally practical, and a great choice for them to use to get to work AND gives me a vehicle I can use to haul lumber and supplies for my weekend warrior DIY projects.

Dealer can't explain check engine light!
By MJ

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan American Value Package 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car used at 3 years/66,400 miles. Within a couple of months, the check engine light came on. I left it with the dealer and, after keeping it for three days, they said the gas was too rich, but they didn't know what to do about it. Now, at 94,000 miles, the check engine light is still on and it's not running well. I called the dealer and they wanted me to schedule an appointment for three weeks later. If the first problem had been fixed, we might have noticed the check engine light come on for the second problem in time to schedule that appointment while it was still running. The only reason I might have scheduled the appointment was to use the warranty, but warranties are useless if I have to wait three weeks to get it in. It is cheaper to pay for the repairs than to rent a car during that time. The dealers think they are the best repair shop around because they have such a long wait. In my opinion, the best businesses are those that provide quality work AND run their shops efficiently so that they have adequate staff and facilities to handle the demand. The demand for their work is brand-based; I can't imagine any other reason why someone would want to be without a car for three weeks while they wait for the dealer to repair it. Another problem we had was the plastic thing that hangs below the bumper kept coming loose. The dealer boasted about storage space, but the flip side to that is the low clearance. Also, I don't know which trim I have; it's not important to this review. BTW, what does my height and weight have to do with my review?

Engine heads are brain dead
By Rick

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Been waiting for my vehicle to be repaired now for 3 weeks. Dealership says parts are not available. 6 cyl engine needed new heads, rockers, lifters and other stuff. Car has 97,000 miles. This is the second time to have head replaced (first time at 46,000) . Obviously a bad engine design or bad install with the previous head or possibly the head is simply brain dead. It does say something about the supply chain if the dealerships can not get the replacement parts. Obviously many more failures than anticipated. No recall on the engine but the dealership said the warranty has been extended out to 10 years/150,000 miles for the heads which, I assume, is their way of telling me that the head will fail again in 50,000 miles. Figure I'll have it repaired again around 145,000 if history is my guide. I believe they have some serious issues with the 6 cylinder engine but simply won't admit it.
08/28/2017 Update. Car now has 119,000 miles on it. So far the new head appears to be working fine. Proof will be when the car has another 25,000 miles since they seem to fail every 50,000 miles.
08/29/2018 Update. Car now has 134,000 miles on it. No problems yet with the new head. Dealership called several times asking if I wanted to trade it in on something new. Told them no, I normally keep cars at least 10 years since I don't like to carry any debt and it takes time to save up the money for a new one.

And you thought owning a Ford was bad guess again
By Cindy Watson

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Impressive rental then I bought one. Never again! Too many recalls & constant repairs- left bank 2 cylinder head recall without it for 5 days being replaced has to complain and got approval rental car for one day, rear quarter vent window switch recall P25/NHTSA 14V-234 took forever to get inventory to dealer , brakes -front pads and rotors @ 12,000, rear pads & rotors @ 31,840, front and rear pads and rotors @ 46,378, front pads & rotors @ 63,281, rear pads & rotors @ 72,300, possibly front again but asking local service why needed again only after 9,000 miles, cold air blowing out vents when set at heat (star notice possible fix soon) & radio shuts off on own and clears all the settings @ 17,200, recall M38 reprogram power train control module, power door sliding module reprogram @ 16,500. Moisture in front headlights @37,232 -fogging fine and if droplets replace service bulletin-08-086-13, New tires 37,232. Ever since left cylinder replaced has no power to deal with minor inclines in local city driving. Apparently the brakes designed cannot accommodate what the van really needs. First and last Doge I will ever own. I owned 5 Fords prior different types but nothing this bad except the Windstar due electrical or computer issue with engine never able to figure out. My second and last van I will own.
Another recall safety related air bag deployment due to wires steering wheel harness.