Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Not a bad experience.
By Bill C

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this van used from a dealer. It was a program car. The dealer would not provide the Vehicle history report and that should have been a red flag. I found out after the fact that it had been in an accident and was repaired. Because of that the van pulls consistently to the right. It does not wear tires prematurely though. In fact I get great tire wear. I’ve had this van for 8 years and have put around 125000 miles on it. It has had some issues. AC hose was first. I paid to have it repaired and then the recall came out in it. A rear wheel bearing went bad on it maybe 2 years ago. The transmission went on it at around 100000 miles. It’s the first year of the 6 speed so I figured it had some bugs. I had it rebuilt. A planetary gear set broke at around 140000. I don’t know if I can blame the design of the transmission on that. My luck I guess. I do tow with this vehicle. The gas mileage has never been impressive. I had a 95 Chevy Astro van before this. That was bigger and heavier and got the same mileage as the Caravan with the 3.8L engine. The only annoying issue I had that made this vehicle undependable was a starting issue that left me stranded. I had it towed to the local dealer and their solution was to change the battery (which was not even close to being the problem). It ended up being a relay in the fuse box. There are several relays of the same type in the fuse box so I swapped the starter relay for the aux power outlet relay and it has not had the problem since (1.5 years). This was a very affordable vehicle and for me has been worth the money. The stow and go seats are great to allow us to reconfigure the space easily for hauling people or stuff. It rides well, handles good enough, has been reasonably dependable and at 10 years old is holding up pretty well. It has been a good experience to own this vehicle.

Last Dodge for us!
By Paul

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Brakes biggest issue followed by heating / cooling system. Many rattles due to ceiling "convenience" bins

Transmission failure on freeway
By Alyse

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Van had 84000 miles on it when the transmission went out without any warning. Fluid level was fine. Nearly wrecked on the freeway and was nearly hit trying to get out of traffic. Never again will I own a Dodge. Driven cars and vans for decades with many more miles on them than this van and never had anything like this happen. Going back to Honda.

What a bad choice !
By Josh

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy it you'll regret it!

NO DODGE GRAND CARAVAN AT ALL....
By BOB KRUGEL

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Will never buy!....Over heat just kills ,many parts, which relate to cooling system made from cheap material and exclusively can be finding at dealership ,where they are abuse with the cost of.... Need spend so much(in mostly cases must change engine,because head gasket blow )or get it off..Disaster to own this car! Never ever! Nothing better then Japan's minivans !