Used 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Caravan for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Another Caravan!

Sal, 08/06/2005

This is our 3rd (1990, 1998) Chrysler minivan and by far the best. We love the quad seating, the video system, sound system, and driveability. We were initially concerned with the transmission as it "shuddered" between 1st and 2nd gear but have taken it to two seperate dealerships and we were assured that this was normal. Something about the transmission having a built in memory to the primary driver's driving habits. My wife is now the primary driver and we haven't noticied the "shudder" effect as often. This van was purchased used from a dealership that acquired it from a rental company.

Rollover

Pat, 07/16/2006

I recently had a horrible accident in this van and miraculously survived! I swerved to avoid an animal on Interstate 70 in Utah and when I tried to correct, it didn't happen. I was traveling at 75-77 MPH on cruise and the wheels caught the concrete and I was accross the freeway and hit a large light pole, then rolled 3-5 times as I was told and somehow came out with only a broken clavicle, severely sprained back and lots of cuts and bruises. The recovery is slow, but the air bags and seat belts must have saved me...or a guardian angel? Whatever it was, I'm sure something helped me survive. I would buy another of these vans ASAP. Insurance said this was an excellant rated van for this crash.

Dodge always bad

john, 08/08/2010

Bought 2003 new grand caravan sport had to replace transmission at 60,100 miles dealership did not make it easy to honor warranty at 100 miles over warranty had to install trans outside dealership was 100% cheaper, also computer had to be replaced, brake drums replaced twice, as you can see problems keep increasing, I do not recommend Dodge at all, right now as I write the starter needs to be replaced. Will never buy us make autos ever again. Previous to this I had a used 98 Plymouth Voyager and also had to replace transmission, I thought my buying new it would be better but totally disappointing.

My First Minivan

mcrebob, 07/10/2003

I test drove this van and was instantly impressed with the handling and acceleration The list price on the model we chose is over $40,000. One thing that struck me is that the interior is, well, kinda cheap. The seats are nice, firm and supportive, but the armrests are plastic. The doors are very hard plastic. There's no memory on the power settings. There seems to be an odd lack of headroom for an interior with so much available space One thing that drives me crazy is that theres an edge that juts out from the door where they mounted the PW switches. This edge is hard is exactly where I might rest my left knee while driving. It is terribly uncomfortable

2003 Grand Caravan Sport (flex fuel eng)

sadie's mom, 06/21/2008

Bought this van used in 2007. Would like to have seen the driver seat move lower to the floor when fully moved forward as in the older models of the dodge vans. I am pretty short and still have a hard time reaching the pedals without moving the seat all the way forward and touching the steering wheel. Otherwise very comfortable. Stereo system excellent. Have had no mechanical problems at all during this year. Have taken on a couple of day trips and there were no complaints of being uncomfortable.

Regular Maintenance yet problems persist

Larry, 12/18/2008

Purchased at 22K (used) currently at 66K. On the way home after the purchase (no joke!) we noticed a transmission shudder on the 1-2 upshift. We now avoid the 1800- 1900rpm 1-2 upshift (at least 2000rpm). Also, tranny was leaking fluid in the garage so the dealership replaced the solenoid (at 52K). Overall, the tranny is very, very delicate and we do not tow/haul 7 passengers whatsover. The power steering fluid must be topped up/checked often or else it will scream. Also, links/bushings were replaced at 50K as well as tie rods replaced at 60K. The e-brake may not release causing the rear discs to drag. If this happens pump the brakes/work the release handle.

My 5th Caravan. Great Vehicle

moparmtn, 01/23/2009

I am writing this review as most people report on fairly new vehicles. So I will tell you my review of my van. I have 113000 miles and it is still running smooth, quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Change oil (full synthetic) & filter every 5000 miles. Trans gets fluid and filter every 30000 and I cyphon out 4 quarts of fluid and replace every 15000. One brake job at 75000. My only complaint is when starting in cold weather it makes a funny noise for a second or two. Hope this helps to the durability of the van. I have had 150000 + trouble free service out of all 5 of my vans. On a cross country trip I put on 11988 miles towing a pop up camper and averaged 22 mpgs. Very happy with this van.

OK For The Money

gon2kona, 07/23/2009

Bought used from private party with 36000 miles. Dealer allowed us to purchase extended warranty and it's a good thing we did. My wife likes the van more than I but I tend to be more of a details person. For the money it's probably the best way to go if you need a mini van. Japanese competitors are much better build and reliability but also twice the dollar. We have had several issues with this van and know the service people well. Steering, Suspension Components, Transmission, Trans can't find the right gear on grades etc. AC was a problem also. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. Chrysler, no wonder you guys are in trouble. You build self destructing products. Take notes from competitors.

5th and Last Grand Caravan

swgplain, 12/02/2009

We've owned 4 caravans before this and it seems that every model is worse then the before it. We bought it used with only 26,000 miles on it. Should have gotten the extended warranty. AT 38000 miles the turn indicator switch went out. Shortly there after the drivers side power lock and window control switch went out. Then the rear heater control switch went out. At 50000 miles the ABS sensors went out. We seriously considered the Honda Odyssey because of similar styling but at an average of 4 grand more and 20,000 miles more we opted to give the Americans one more chance. Now we have 92,000 miles and it needs a water pump and a power steering pump.

good value

jim, 12/04/2010

139k only a few repairs, 2 sets brake pads, tow 1500 lb trailer/catamaran, excellent interior volume can get 26 mpg highway not towing, leather seats could be more comfy, turn signal release l failed, drivers power window, new exhaust, rattly front end, mechanic states nothing there needs replaced, also own 01 gc, same front end, both are sloppy when compared to Odyssey

12345...8