Used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Sport model
By BUSTER

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Two sets of tires, one set of brakes and one transmission sensor (warranty) have been the only repairs. 115,000 miles later, I am still getting 18.5 mpg in city, 24.5 mpg crossing the country with family and luggage.

3.8 V-6 & rear air.

None

99' SE Sport
By 270win

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We skeptically purchased this van with 60K on it after years of being strictly Mercedes/Honda drivers. I'm shocked at just how good the experience has been. It seems from the other reviews that you can also get bad ones too but ours has been trouble free for 30K+. We are planning to sell it and are looking at another Dodge Grand Caravan. Ours is still rattle free and drives exactly like a new van. I drove two others, an 04/05' this week with 25K and 37K and they drove just like ours. We have looked at Odysseys but have found them to be more pricey and more noisy with rattles. If you find a good one they are hard to beat!

Car like ride and handling. Excellent power with the 3.3Flex fuel eng. Seats 7 very comfortably. The infinity sound system has excellent sound. It looks like a sports van in comparison to everything else on the road. Very quiet and tight even at 90K.

Perhaps a better warranty even though we haven't had need for it.

I would not take it even if it were free
By Sandy McGhee

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van new and cheap. Thought I was getting a deal. I should have checked this web site first. This van had transmission and engine problems and the back door latch was broken. I owned the vehicle three months and it started to act up. The worst vehicle I've ever owned. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product ever again. Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest or Mazda MPV is my next choice. We have a transmission place in our area where the owner got rich from repairing Dodge/Chrysler transmissions. This vehicle is dangerous and I feel Chrysler's repeated production of this vehicle exploits women and children.

Roomy, smooth ride when it did work.

Dodge/Chrysler needs to start over from scratch and take a lesson from Honda.

This was the best minivan in the 90's?
By CWD

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

This minivan was advertised and reviewed
as the best minivan of the 90's. Thank
goodness the 90's are over. This van
has been unreliable. We were a block
from home heading to the airport and
both the input and output transmission
sensors gave out. This was at 4:00 a.m.
and we had to catch a plane at 6:00 a.m.
We have had to replace all four power
window motors, and we have had to
replace the driver's window motor 3
times and it just went bad again. This
vehicle is totally unreliable, and it is
a shame, as the concept is quite good.
Unfortunately, the reality is, this
vehicle sucks!

The fact that it is paid off and on the short list of vehicles we own to be sold or traded. Our 1997 Dodge Neon has been more reliable than this POC. That isn't saying much.

Improved quality control and parts. If you have poor parts, then quality control suffers. It doesn't matter if it looks pretty on the outside, if it is ugly underneath. You definitely lost a customer here!

Works well
By North of 49

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Have owned this Dodge Grand since new.
Has worked great. Very few problems.
If used for city driving can be hard on
front brakes, check them often. Have
serviced the trans regularly, and had
no difficulty.

Good design. Roomy. Reasonable power. Handles well for the type of vehicle.

We have the 3.8 liter engine. Stronger than 3.3, but needs more. Seats need more support, especially in the seat back. Roll down windows in middle doors would be a nice addition.