Used 2012 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Dodge doesn't allow you to keep up with technology
By CPHarrison

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has provided great service and performance until now. I recently purchased a new phone and now the bluetooth service no longer works. After contacting several departments at Dodge, there does not appear to be an upgrade in technology since the car was made. Dodge must expect you to purchase a new car every 2 years when you phone contract runs out and you have to upgrade your phone. Have own Chrysler products most my life. I guess if I am going to keep up with technology, I'm going to have to look at foreign cars now. Can no longer recommend Chrysler products, sorry.

Since I bought this nothing but problems
By Hobbob

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When I first got this I was so excited it was so nice I could not say that now. I have already fixed 6/9 recalls on this big poop of a vehicle some where repeats because the fix they had available didn’t fix the problem after all or caused more problems. Computer had at least 3 updates at $20 a piece. Some are simple recalls others are break failure accerator fire hazards etc. During one of the times it was at the dealer they took over a week to fix and no replacement vehicle offered. I finally went in to demand I have my car back since they didn’t seem to be doing anything and I was getting the run around every day was oh it will be ready tomorrow or later today. They informed me that the mechanic went home and had taken my keys with him. Went back a few hours later they had the keys but misplaced the truck waited 30mins for them to finally inform me that I could not have my car back because the power steering was not working and I would have to pay to fix it since it was like that when I dropped it off. Mind you it was not and I was on the phone with the managers or whatever several times since he kept informing me on when it would be done and increasing cost with updates etc. eventually they said it was their fault that they had unplugged it while it was in service and of course it wasn’t like that when I dropped it off. Okay You may be thinking that’s a problem with the dealership no worries. A day after receiving my car back I got a notice of yet another recall. Currently not even 6 months after receiving my car back I have two more recalls. My key will not read half the time it has a brand new battery and just today I am having acceleration problems. This is a 2012 car that’s 5 years old and already have 11 recalls 3 updates and cannot use my car at this moment as it is unsafe to drive. One of the current recalls is the alternator which may catch fire or cause it to stall out etc but they have no fix for this issue so I need to continue checking back with them Incase they figure it out. So if you decide you want a truck to only work part time to spend money on fixing problems left and right I would highly recommend this. If however you want reliable transportation that won’t catch fire, breaks, fail or have acceleration problems I would recommend anything even a tricycle before this. In addition small parts keep popping off like covers for screws etc which is annoying every time you vaccuum your car you have to continue popping them back in. Lift gate won’t stay up anymore and easy exit not longer works. I am not per say a dodge hater I am just tired of being screwed by this truck so much money wasted in purchasing since this is my first dodge I probably will not be buying another however my husband does have a ram 1500 we purchased after purchasing mine that is working fine. Other details are I average 10 mpg in city, back row is non existent as it is small and hard to get in and out of with back row up space is really limited. Car seats are a squeeze to fit expecally when rear facing not impossible though just not all seats will fit. Blind spots are not so bad until you have a car seat blocking the way. Ac seems to be running good both front and back. Remote start no longer works.

Superb SUV!!
By Windy Mastroyannakis

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is magnificent in practically every way! We actually own the V8 Citadel, which isn't listed in the choice of trims above. We bought this vehicle when Grandma moved in and made us a family of five. The Durango has been a fantastic choice with the exception of fuel economy (yikes) and the Bluetooth. We knew what we were getting into, however, when we purchased the Durango as far as the poor gas mileage. The Bluetooth is 90% wonderful, but drops calls when dialing occasionally. All in all, we are thrilled with our purchase. We have owned the Durango for four years.

I'll Never Buy Another Dodge
By SunnySideSouthPaw

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I'm so disappointed to write this review. We bought the 2012 V8 Citadel which, was mentioned in another review, is not listed in the trim options for this review. I have a friend that had an older model Dodge Durango. He had horrible issues with the transmission but I had heard those issues went away with the newer redesign. We had just sold a Saturn Outlook that let us down and this was the car that we expected to come and redeem us. However, Dodge Corporate and the dealer totally ruined that experience for us. We purchased our car and had to have the transmission totally rebuilt within the the first 20,000 miles of ownership. It was a major concern but luckily our warranties(both factory and the extended we purchased) protected us. Then in 2016 our Durango began randomly stalling on us. It started out random at very long intervals but the intervals began to decrease. The dealer seemed uninterested in addressing the issue at all. Soon enough, the car began stalling while we were on major highways which caused a huge safety concern for us. The dealer kept the car for a day but couldn't reproduce the problem. Finally, the car stopped three times within 4 weeks. We tried getting Dodge corporate involved. Even though we owned two warranties Dodge claimed they couldn't fix our car because there was diag code. As we researched the problem, we found out that there had been a recall for this very issue for our year model but our VIN# was just outside of the recall. The problem was so bad that Dodge was buying back vehicles with the same symptoms we were having but by the time we found out the window to have your vehicle purchased had already passed. For owners who chose to keep their vehicles they were replacing the TIPM (this part is a huge problem with thousands of Daimler Chrysler vehicles). Dodge, AutoNation Katy(the new owners of the dealership where we purchased our car), and the Service dept all refused to replace both the fuel relay (another recalled item previously replaced on our car) and the TIPM. After numerous trips to the dealership, certified letters, multiple phone calls and meetings, and service appointments we finally met with the Area Manager. When we told him we wanted a new TIPM he said, "Oh, that's all you want!". Yes! That's all I want so my family can avoid imminent death in this death trap. We realized that all manufacturers have issues but I can't even estimate how much lost time, work hours, and gas is gone for both parties when some knucklehead could've just said, "Fine. We'll replace this part. Hopefully this will work. If not, we'll see where we need to go from there." Dodge makes beautiful paperweights; nothing more, nothing less.

A little bit about my durango
By Steven Jimenez

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)